Defiance is updated weekly.

Table of Contents:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PS1)

Click the spoiler button for links:

1. Intros, Revenge, and the Light Spell

2. Powers, Secrets, and Metal Gear Vampire

3. Nuprator's Doom

4. Coorhagen Is Full of Traps.

5. Malek and the Fortress of Doom. (Guest Starring: Ikari Warrior)

6. Every RPG has an Oracle.

7. It's a Swamp Thing.

8. Revenge Is a Dish Best Served by Vorador

9. A Highway to Hell

10. This Church is Full of Demons

11. Isn't She A Bit Old For Dolls?

12. All We Need is a Flux Capacitor

13. The End to All Things

Soul Reaver (DC) - Guest Starring: Ikari Warrior

1. The Basics of Undeath

Viddler Viddler HQ

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

2. Melchiah's Mausoleum:

Viddler Viddler HQ

3. Entering the Sanctuary:

Viddler Viddler HQ

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2

4. A Cathedral Run on Boxes:

Viddler: Part 1, Part 2 Viddler HQ 1, Viddler HQ 2

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6

5. Ancient Secrets Lead to Mind Expansion:

Viddler Viddler HQ

6. Rahab Likes Water:

Viddler Viddler HQ

7. A Miserable Pile of Secrets

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7

8. Dumah's Snowy Fortress of Doom

Viddler Viddler HQ

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

9. The Oracle Caves

Viddler Viddler HQ

10. Fear the Chronoplast

Viddler Viddler HQ

Soul Reaver 2 (PC)

1. Beginning Where We Left Off

Viddler Viddler HQ

2. Walking Is Fun

Viddler Viddler HQ

3. Forging Into Darkness

Viddler Viddler HQ

4. Lighting Up The Way

Viddler Viddler HQ

5. The Great Time Machine Robbery (Guest Starring: The Lone Magician)

Viddler Viddler HQ

6. The Future Still Sucks (Guest Starring: Ikari Warrior)

Viddler Viddler HQ

7. Let's Clear The Air... Forge.

8. Interior Decorating With Raziel

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

9. Too Many Demons

Viddler Viddler HQ

10. The Circle of Life (Guest Starring: Ikari Warrior)

Viddler Viddler HQ

Blood Omen 2 (Xbox)

1. Slumtastic (Guest Starring: Scarface)

Viddler Viddler HQ

2. The Den = More Slums

Viddler Viddler HQ

3. The Lowest City of Them All

4. Upper City Racing League

5. The Sarafan Keep Coming

Viddler Viddler HQ

6. Exactly What Industry Is This?

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7

7. The Wild Places

8. The Shawshank Invansion (Guest Starring: Ikari Warrior)

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7

9. The Device is a Generic Name

10. This Can't Get Any Worse

11. Ready for the End?

Defiance - Guest Starring: Ikari Warrior(PC)

1. Reintroducing our Heroes

Blip.tv

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 Part 4

2. The Sarafan Stronghold (Kain)

Blip.tv

3. The Cemetary (Raziel)

Blip.tv: Part 1, Part 2

4. The Pillars (Kain)

Blip.tv

5. The Pillars (Raziel)

6. The Vampire Citadel (Kain)

Blip.tv

7. Vorador's Mansion (Raziel)

Blip.tv: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Youtube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 Part 6, Part 7, Part 8

8. The Vampire Citadel Again... (Kain)

Blip.tv

9. Avernus Cathedral (Raziel)

10. Vorador's Mansion Redux (Raziel)

Blip.tv

11. The Final Ending

Timeline: (Currently summarizes up to Soul Reaver 1)

Warning Story Spoilers ahead!

About:

Beginning as a brainchild of Dennis Dyack, (originally conceived in an attempt to create a game that "adults would want to play") the Kain series has become a critically acclaimed series known for both top of the line graphics, voice acting and storytelling. And despite lawsuits and the change of developers the series has managed to shine. The series is known for it's dark and edgy setting and themes of violence, destiny, choice, and time-travel.

Personally, the game was one of the few to truly ignite my imagination, speak to the inner-geek and turn me into a hard-core fan. As such, I'll be imparting a lot of the knowledge I've gained about this series through the videos, explaining exactly what's happening and both why and when some things occur.

So... Let's Play the Legacy of Kain!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I am glad you're doing Blood Omen. That camera is the worst thing to happen to top-down-view games. It gives me a severe headache trying to figure out what to do with the camera sliding all the fuck over the place.

This is a piece of the franchise's history that I really wanted to enjoy, but simply couldn't. I'm glad Silicon Knights didn't make any of the later games!

I am looking forward to finally experiencing this game. With the rich history of the LoK games, this one is certain not to disappoint.

But MAN is that CG dated! Soul Reaver is gettin' up there in years, but it still looks halfway decent. Somewhere between 97 and 98 someone decided that kind of CG didn't look too good, and finally cleaned it all up.

OT edit: Faulty, why does your sig say "sweat lord?" That kind of typo has to be intentional...

Yeah, that camera is hell, especially if you're zoomed in. And the old school CG almost has a weird charm to it, I'm not really sure why.

Anyways, just as a bit of an FYI since this game is so long, I'm going to be doing a bit of an accelerated schedule for these vids. Maybe 2 or 3 a week, probably all around the same length of 30 min or so too. So feel free to keep up to date or watch at your leisure. I just don't want to be doing Blood Omen forever. While it's great in it's own right and sets up pretty much all of the major story elements for the next 4 games, it's also a very long and daunting Zelda style RPG thingy.

Plus, I really want to get to Soul Reaver, which is one of my favorite games like ever. lol

Hah, awesome! Always good to hear people like em. :awesome: Yeah, I have mixed emotions about the Geist ones, especially towards the end. I get a little too ragey and complainy in those last few chapters, and that can make em harder to watch depending on the personality of the viewer.

However I learned a ton making the Geist series, stuff I'm still putting in to practice nowadays. Hopefully this Blood Omen series is a bit more like Geist and Psychonauts in the funny irreverent manner, while still picking up some of the informational stuff I did in Earthworm Jim.

Btw, I'm thinking I'm gonna do a Monday/Thursday release schedule for the Blood Omen movies. That way I still get 2 a week, and can plow through it, but I'm also not putting up too much content for people to see or burning myself out... This way it's like an AE TV show. lol

Hah, awesome! Always good to hear people like em. :awesome: Yeah, I have mixed emotions about the Geist ones, especially towards the end. I get a little too ragey and complainy in those last few chapters, and that can make em harder to watch depending on the personality of the viewer.

However I learned a ton making the Geist series, stuff I'm still putting in to practice nowadays. Hopefully this Blood Omen series is a bit more like Geist and Psychonauts in the funny irreverent manner, while still picking up some of the informational stuff I did in Earthworm Jim.

Btw, I'm thinking I'm gonna do a Monday/Thursday release schedule for the Blood Omen movies. That way I still get 2 a week, and can plow through it, but I'm also not putting up too much content for people to see or burning myself out... This way it's like an AE TV show. lol

I recently watch the Geist one. Liked it.

No, the game takes place in a paradox created by the Soul Reaver 2 plotline after they alter the timeline. I'll explain it in more detail, but chronologically blood omen 2 is not the sequel to blood omen, soul reaver is. It's a sequel to soul reaver 2 which is why it doesn't make any sense if you try to place it after Blood Omen 1. Also, Vorador's presence in Blood Omen 2 is the major thing that sticks out, and was supposed to be explained in Defiance but was cut for time. If Crystal Dynamics eventually makes Dark Prophecy (or whatever they retitle Legacy of Kain 6 to) they're supposed to explain that.

I'll be explaining all the time travel stuff in detail as it comes up, but it gets confusing.

And honestly Blood Omen 2 isn't that bad of a game, it's just mediocre and sticks out like a sore thumb among the other stellar games. But it does have some cool moments like the Eternal Prison.

If Crystal Dynamics eventually makes Dark Prophecy (or whatever they retitle Legacy of Kain 6 to) they're supposed to explain that.

I sincerely doubt that game will ever be made. If they do make it, it will be a miracle if it doesn't suck, for two reasons:

1) The writer for the series is now working for Naughty Dog

2) Tony Jay (Mortanius and the Elder God) is dead.

However, if they don't make it soon, they won't have Michael Bell (Raziel et al), he's getting up there in the years. It would have to be a Kain-only game. Granted:

As we all know at the end of Defiance, Raziel is inside the Soul Reaver, so that character likely would no longer appear, but I imagine they could do SOMETHING with the spectral realm stuff

And honestly Blood Omen 2 isn't that bad of a game, it's just mediocre and sticks out like a sore thumb among the other stellar games. But it does have some cool moments like the Eternal Prison.

The Eternal Prison was likely the only cool moment in the game for me; it's the only thing that stood out. The rest of the game controls more sluggishly than resident evil, and it makes me wonder how you're able to play it, Justin.

IMO it really doesn't matter that Amy Henig left for Naughty Dog. After all Dyack left before. You just need someone who likes the story, cares what happens to the characters, and can write.

The true question is whether or not CD / Eidos / Square-Soft has anyone who can or wants to do that.

And as for the voices, I'm not too worried about that. Jay did amazing work for the series, but there's actually guys out there who sound identical and people think are him. Earl Boen has done all three of our WoW games and people are still convinced he's Tony Jay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ld5lCh9ZEM

Plenty of voice actors out there.

The true question is whether or not CD / Eidos / Square-Soft has anyone who can or wants to do that.

I suppose that's my biggest concern. Soul Reaver 1,2, and Defiance were all written so well, the bar is set ridiculously high for me. Gameplay wise, well, we've talked on AIM how I feel about each game's controls. An average game with stellar writing would sell me on a Legacy of Kain sequel.

And as for the voices, I'm not too worried about that.

Plenty of voice actors out there.

That's true. As long as they have the guy who voiced Kain (I forgot his name), or replace him with Tim Curry, I think we'd be in good shape, lol.