Accelerated Evolution

Criticism of modern fansubbing

Most fansubs suck really bad.

:edit: I just watched most of it, and he has all the same bitches that i've been complaining about for the last couple of years. He blows the whole honorific title thing out of proportion though, It doesnt take a fucking genius to figure them out.

You haven't watched the right stuff, then. I've seen a few shows in the last few years where I had to stop watching an episode and spend ten minutes trying to convince Google the term I was looking up in fact meant something before I could tell what it was. Some subbers leave really obscure shit in these days.

I agree with him about the ridiculous fonts, and wall of text that intros and credits have become, but otherwise I disagree. I far prefer leaving in honorifics and not translating words that don't have english equivalents. I like Japanese, and I like learning new words and explanations of puns. I like Japan, and I like the little foot notes that tell history I may not know. I also don't see what the problem is with translating signs and making it look like part of the art work. It's less distracting, and I'm not stupid; I know it wasn't originally there. Maybe it is a little cliqueish and exclusive, but I don't see what the problem is. It's made by fans for fans. Everyone else can just wait and pay for the American release if the don't like it. They'll probably watch the dub anyway.

I've been playing Shenmue again lately. It's dubbed, and they still say the honorifics. Was that not done by professionals?

You haven't watched the right stuff, then. I've seen a few shows in the last few years where I had to stop watching an episode and spend ten minutes trying to convince Google the term I was looking up in fact meant something before I could tell what it was. Some subbers leave really obscure shit in these days.

right, i dont delve to deep into the real animu stuff. my biggest problem though, is the actual subtitle timing in alot of them. Sometimes they wont even sub 5 lines of dialogue, which usually leaves me utterly confused. Or better yet the 0.5 second flash of subtitles after a character has a huge line of dialogue.

i don't really mind one way or another. it's pretty silly to argue or complain about a person or group who's giving up their free time to put subtitles on a show and not gaining anything out of it besides worthless ego internet points.

besides now a days a popular series usually has more then two subbing groups on it, so if one sucks, move on to another.

I've been playing Shenmue again lately. It's dubbed, and they still say the honorifics. Was that not done by professionals?

Sega's Yakuza series did that for the first game too. some lines could have used context though. every time Mojima talks to Kazama he calls him "Kazama-chan" in the most sexual way possible, it makes him come off as homosexual rather then belittling him.