Accelerated Evolution

...Some time later

About a month ago I had that whole topic about my breakup with my ex-girlfriend and the last time I actually spoke with her was around the same time.

I was waiting for that sense of closure and over the last month I felt like I did. I made a couple of realizations that made me happy that I wasn't with her and those realizations really drove home that feeling of "It's a good thing it happened". I still believe it, I really do. But there are still these instances now and again where something I see or think about will remind me about something we did or just those feelings and it gets me really down. Only for a minute or so, but down none the less. Does that mean I'm not over it yet or something? I don't feel like it still effects me like it used to. I don't think about it all the time and I certainly don't wish things were different. I think what I'm actually missing is that feeling. Not the person, but definitely that feeling.

Everything is pretty status quo. Semester's over, I'm looking for a job and I have an unofficially guaranteed internship. Things seem pretty normal, but now and again these things just cross my mind and it just gets me a little down. Like I was in my OnDemand menu and they had a preview for The Spirit playing. When we were going out, she went to this movie deal with some people from her school and it turned out that only the one dude showed up [dude she's dating right now] and when I thought about that it just made me feel a little down. Because it was one of those things I should've realized when it mattered. What I can't seem to understand, like I said, is that I don't miss her. Especially bearing in mind the major personality change she underwent directly after, but I still get a little upset when things cross my mind that remind me of "us" not "her" and I think that means that I just miss that feeling which I guess is natural, but does that mean I'm still not over it or something? Everything goes on pretty much as normal. Though I've been getting out more, trying to do new things and of course I've been talking to women more and like an asshole I missed a really good opportunity on my last day of class, but anyway; I just want to get it completely out of my head so I can get into new things and not have to have that shit hapen and I feel like it's not yet. What would you call it?

You can be over someone but not be over the fact that you're alone.

I still stop and think about past boyfriends when I am reminded of "us" by something, and it's totally fine. It's a memory. I don't miss them, but I can understand that we had good memories, and I'm not going to scowl upon a good memory because we're not together.

I think you're doing really well. I think how you've handled it has been pretty commendable.

Sounds like you're in a good place, just not ready to be in a relationship. Glad to hear things are going better. =)

I wish I didn't agree with you, but I do. I'd really like to get into something new with someone else [thus the missed opportunity I referenced] but I think you're right. Thanks man, they are for now.

You can be over someone but not be over the fact that you're alone.

I still stop and think about past boyfriends when I am reminded of "us" by something, and it's totally fine. It's a memory. I don't miss them, but I can understand that we had good memories, and I'm not going to scowl upon a good memory because we're not together.

I think you're doing really well. I think how you've handled it has been pretty commendable.

You know it's funny, I didn't used to care about that. Always felt I'd rather be alone than with someone who didn't get me. But being in a relationship for two years makes it harder to put into practice. I agree with the memories thing. Despite everything, I have no ill will for her and I wish her the best of luck when she goes to college and stuff. One of the last things I said to her was that as far as experiences go, I'd do it all over again because all in all the experiences were good and I apologize for nothing [in the sense of stuff we did]. It's what life's about more or less as far as I see it.

Thanks for saying so, it's nice to hear. I'm moving forward, it's just taking a little longer than I'd hoped.