Accelerated Evolution

Steroids in sports?

Wondering what your opinions are on allowing performance enhancing drugs in competition of sports?

I think that they should be allowed in sports, if it is just because of risk to the athlete then you should ban all substances that may effect the health of one. For instance creatine if used excessively will make your body stop naturally producing it and as far as I know has many other adverse effects on a body. Hell any drug taken in excess will have negative effects, one way to stop this may be to allow use.

Then there is the side that it hurts the image of the sport. I can see this as being logical as no longer are the days of skinny guys hitting out of the park home runs now we have huge beefy pitchers and even larger hitters that look like fake super heroes.

And it may put pressure on younger athletes to abuse enhancers with out proper medical attention that pro's would be allowed.

But my question is do you really think banning them is going to stop use? I believe that most of MLB, NFL and other sports including one of my favorites MMA do use. So all we are doing is hurting images of the players we love when we do catch them and the ones that have their cycle down to avoid testing go with out being caught.

Chime in guys!!

in before tl;dr

You mean like the guy from Nascar.. who got a suspension for using a banned substance.. what did he use NODOZE?

I agree that Steroid use shouldn't be allowed in any sport no matter what, but I can understand the toll that the body takes if you've played a sport for so long.. that the player depends on it to heal faster and make the body tougher and more resistant.

I think that everyone has access to them and it is personal choice on whether to use them or not. I mean come on, everyone has a choice and if performing enhancing drugs create the best athletes, then they do. I say, either you conform to what is necessary for you to stay competetive or to be the best in your field, or you pick something else to do. Performance enhancing drugs is just another scientific advancement. Let them be used for what they are intended. EVERYONE IS TOO BITCHY NOWADAYS!

I think that everyone has access to them and it is personal choice on whether to use them or not. I mean come on, everyone has a choice and if performing enhancing drugs create the best athletes, then they do. I say, either you conform to what is necessary for you to stay competetive or to be the best in your field, or you pick something else to do. Performance enhancing drugs is just another scientific advancement. Let them be used for what they are intended. EVERYONE IS TOO BITCHY NOWADAYS!

I agree, but just to play devils advocate; what of the players that do not wish to take performance enhancers and risk adverse effects on their bodies? Should they be pressured in to juicing just because they are getting beaten up in competition?

I'm against it only because I feel it would force everyone to use PEDs in order to stay competitive. I don't see much wrong with it, other than that. It would just create an arms race (pun intended) in sports as players took the craziest, most out-of-control drugs to be the best. In order to stay in the sport, everyone would have to be juicing.

I'm against it only because I feel it would force everyone to use PEDs in order to stay competitive. I don't see much wrong with it, other than that. It would just create an arms race (pun intended) in sports as players took the craziest, most out-of-control drugs to be the best. In order to stay in the sport, everyone would have to be juicing.

But that is happening anyway, they haven't stopped use. I see where you are coming from and I am semi still forming my opinion on the matter, I just feel that people will get better at hiding enhancers.

Players still do feel forced to use because they know majority or at least a large chunk of their competitors do roid.

I agree, but just to play devils advocate; what of the players that do not wish to take performance enhancers and risk adverse effects on their bodies? Should they be pressured in to juicing just because they are getting beaten up in competition?

I think that if they cannot compete with those who utilize what is available, then they should play in a division where they can. Might be reasonable to make a Juicer league and a league for Regos.

I think that if they cannot compete with those who utilize what is available, then they should play in a division where they can. Might be reasonable to make a Juicer league and a league for Regos.

Yea, but then the juicer league you have to believe would most likely not survive because the media and fans would attack it. I mean it would probably turn into a freak version of the sport with no respect.

It's a taboo.

I dont want them in sports cause i would say that all the records of people in the old days would be moot. But at the same time one can argue that taking steriods is no different than say the technology in golf that give you an extra 75 yards on your driver. Its a sad time cause you will never truly be able to compare eras.

Well you can't compare the deadball era to today, or the fact that gloves were smaller, bats were heavier. Players were WAY smaller also.

That's just baseball, football is fairly young for stats. I don't think football stats are very interesting either.

Is roiding a problem in NHL or NBA? I don't know enough about the two sports, what about soccer?

no, its not a problem in hockey or basketball. But the point i was getting across is that, now days steroids are just like technology. Just a way to get a step up on the competition. Like the big bertha driver in golf. Or the new shoes in basketball that are engineered to make you exert less energy when running, or composite sticks that increase the speed of your shot in hockey. Thats all they are turning into. Steroids are just a technology. Their acceptance is inevitable.

no, its not a problem in hockey or basketball. But the point i was getting across is that, now days steroids are just like technology. Just a way to get a step up on the competition. Like the big bertha driver in golf. Or the new shoes in basketball that are engineered to make you exert less energy when running, or composite sticks that increase the speed of your shot in hockey. Thats all they are turning into. Steroids are just a technology. Their acceptance is inevitable.

Probably, unless they really get crazy with punishments.

That was really well said. I couldn't have said it better myself. Technology is anything that improves human abilities or quality of life (or betters something that we choose to care about). Things change with time. Adapt and survive. That is the way of the world. If not, fall into forgotteness and normality.

• 5 weeks later...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../17/sammy.sosa/

Just read this interesting article and it got me thinking. How should batters be treated record wise? I mean if you discount them don't you almost have to give more credit to pitchers who were pitching at these juiced up monsters? Balls that would be pop flys 30 years ago are smashed out of parks now. I mean it literally effects every statistic of every sport.

I stopped caring about a month ago. Until Robert Pujols and Ken Griffey jr. are proved to be juicers, i will still say they are the only legitimatly great hitters in the leauge. Home run wise that is.

(And Ichiro, that guy is just ridiculous.but not home run wise)

Dude? Pujols?

He definitely looks like a user.

Managed by Tony Lajuica

They need to stop revealing ONE name on that list. This crap is just never going to end that way.

it's like the MLB higher ups actually like this being one big circus act or something.

Actually yea, I was just thinking about that.

Seriously it's REALLY lame to just make one player take the heat and all the fans to suffer. If they release them all at once we can just get over this shit in one season and move on.

• 1 month later...