Accelerated Evolution

Has anyone noticed?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I miss the days when AE was trying to become something bigger. I dunno if the game and music reviews were the right direction, but they were at least something. Hell, a lot of the people that come here show up from the music blog.

We have a lot of personality here, and there's quite a lot of talent in this bunch. I'd love to see that kind of creative direction going on again. Even if was nothing more than coming up with more blogs I think more creative content would do this site a world of good. Even if it was just random articles across our spectrum of interests or something.

Don't we have this exact thread every year?

This month is finals, also, people are changing/getting new jobs for the summer months as well, including myself.

Don't we have this exact thread every year?

This month is finals, also, people are changing/getting new jobs for the summer months as well, including myself.

Finals should be over for most people. It's May 20, the only people who would still be in school are the grade school kids.

But that just inevitably adds to the list of inactive members.

True. I guess it really depends on the goal of the forum. If the goal is to only find select few members who become good friends and stick around (until we destroy each other with drama) then guests creating accounts and turning inactive isn't a solution at all. However if enough guests were joining and eventually becoming inactive you'd never notice. Just different faces. It really depends on the atmosphere you intend to keep.

I just don't feel like the one we have here is all that healthy anymore.

I can understand that as well. It just seems that most of came from a much more active board where we formed these close bonds anyways. I do enjoy the closeness of this board, it just crushes me every time I watch another friend walk away and the board get that much more dead.

Also, fucking idiots like me are on here most of the day while just coming up to the A level exams (or maybe it's just me).

Others are managing to juggle their finals and AE quite well. I don't think it's the finals I just think that at the moment AE is moving a little slower than usual. It could well pick up though.

AE has never picked up though. It has steadily declined while along the way new people try to join in, but eventually join the inactive list.

And it is because the forum is just a chat room. The only active section is Random Thoughts, so naturally anyone new is going to eventually notice this and wonder what the point is. Why don't these people just use AIM or something?

Every time someone makes a new thread it's a fruitless effort to make it appear like this place is relevant.

Yeah, we use to have discussions in the other threads, but eventually everything just moved to Random Thoughts because a handful of members like Vampy would only post there.

That thread was essentially a place for Vampy to post nonsense that very few people understood for 24 hours a day. Everyone else just pretty much got in the habit of posting there and now it has killed the activity on the site just as I knew it would.

I remember ages ago they eliminated RT posts from post counts hoping it would spread attention to the other threads, but they should have just gotten rid of it all together.

They did get rid of RT for a bit, everyone cried. I hate RT because sections like serious debate and discussion would actually have threads if it weren't for the section.

Idk, I just think the website should have a redirection. Then again I've been thinking that since I joined before the first crash.

message boards in general are slowly starting to die anyway due to microblogging from sites like Twitter and Facebook. Random Thoughts being the most active thread here backs that up. it's not only here either, any board that has the big "general" thread is usually always the biggest.

the one thing i noticed even when i was a lurker here is that since the board doesn't have one general overall theme, not all of us are attracted to the same activities. so there's maybe 3 or 4 people that are active on any section here besides Random Thoughts. so it makes it even less active then a message board with one, because it doesn't attract as many people, and if there's no one else to talk with then there's no active discussions.

They did get rid of RT for a bit, everyone cried. I hate RT because sections like serious debate and discussion would actually have threads if it weren't for the section.

Idk, I just think the website should have a redirection. Then again I've been thinking that since I joined before the first crash.

Those people who cried were probably Vampy and Amy who spent 24 hours a day posting nonsense that nobody understood.

All of this requires investing money in a dying site. Money that would be better spent on other things.

Honestly, whoever is paying for AE now is wasting his money. We've pretty much have had our quota for new people that vanish this year already, so I think the best thing would be to let the last payment run it's course, swap Facebook addresses, IM screennnames, etc. and let this place die already.

For a little bit we had a front page, I think that is a step in the right direction, especially if we update it with front page articles written by us about videogames, movies and so forth.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I actually liked that a lot. I don't see why more members would kill any of the community. I'm pretty certain our personalities are big enough to last that kind of thing. And I know I'd read articles about comics written by Brent, U-1 etc, or Videogame articles by J-Stop.

I really don't think the problem is how widespread the interests of the board are, there's just not enough input or action to generate conversation about those interests. Articles, reviews, what have you could be a solution to that problem.

Honestly, whoever is paying for AE now is wasting his money. We've pretty much have had our quota for new people that vanish this year already, so I think the best thing would be to let the last payment run it's course, swap Facebook addresses, IM screennnames, etc. and let this place die already.

I like it too much to let it die. And facebook sucks.

Okay, so your idea is to write reviews... for each other? Essentially you're saying we will save AE with overblown rantings about whatever? Just do what you normally do here when someone asks, "Hey, how was that?" only instead of using two or three sentences you'll type paragraphs of pretentious BS?

No offense, but you've got to work yourself up to the level where new people are going to care about your amateur musings on Terminator Salvation or Metallica's new album. And since new people stop caring about AE after posting once a majority of the time, that's simply not going to happen.

Okay, so your idea is to write reviews... for each other? Essentially you're saying we will save AE with overblown rantings about whatever? Just do what you normally do here when someone asks, "Hey, how was that?" only instead of using two or three sentences you'll type paragraphs of pretentious BS?

No offense, but you've got to work yourself up to the level where new people are going to care about your amateur musings on Terminator Salvation or Metallica's new album. And since new people stop caring about AE after posting once a majority of the time, that's simply not going to happen.

Idk, I actually want to hear what AE members think of certain topics. It would create a constant flow of new info out there and I believe even if it didn't bring new people in; it might make the ones that would have came anyway stay and feel a little bit more at home instead of the private community that has established itself here in the first place.

I for one would love to read game reviews by either leadingman or jstop or some music reviews and stuff.

Idk, I actually want to hear what AE members think of certain topics. It would create a constant flow of new info out there and I believe even if it didn't bring new people in; it might make the ones that would have came anyway stay and feel a little bit more at home instead of the private community that has established itself here in the first place.

I for one would love to read game reviews by either leadingman or jstop or some music reviews and stuff.

Well of course you do, you're friends with these people. But really all we would be doing is indulging the egos of the few members left here.

Why would anyone new care about random reviews written by AE's members?

The idea is not necessarily to write reviews for ourselves but to create content people want to see. I don't know precisely what that is yet, mostly because I haven't applied any time to the idea but the idea is sound, and basically how every place but ours and 30 million other ezboards work.

Reviews are only one type of content, and the audience would have to become bigger than just ourselves wanking off to how sarcastic and snide we can be to other people and things.

Why would anyone new care about random reviews written by AE's members?

Might as well ask why anyone should care about anything. You have to apply effort to make people care. This is a thing that can be done.