Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
GummyBearOfDoom

Has anyone noticed?

The idea is not necessarily to write reviews for ourselves but to create content people want to see. I don't know precisely what that is yet, mostly because I haven't applied any time to the idea but the idea is sound, and basically how every place but ours and 30 million other ezboards work.

Reviews are only one type of content, and the audience would have to become bigger than just ourselves wanking off to how sarcastic and snide we can be to other people and things.

Might as well ask why anyone should care about anything. You have to apply effort to make people care. This is a thing that can be done.

The point is, there is nothing AE can offer that isn't available on a billion other sites that are more professional. You'd be better off taking your ideas and starting from scratch on an entirely new site instead of wasting them on a dying forum created by drug dependent egos.

People care about other sites because they have professionals who can offer something.

What you're trying to do here is akin to taking all of your money, walking down to the local missionary, and asking every crazed drug addicted homeless person if they want to start a web site.

message boards in general are slowly starting to die anyway due to microblogging from sites like Twitter and Facebook. Random Thoughts being the most active thread here backs that up. it's not only here either, any board that has the big "general" thread is usually always the biggest.

the one thing i noticed even when i was a lurker here is that since the board doesn't have one general overall theme, not all of us are attracted to the same activities. so there's maybe 3 or 4 people that are active on any section here besides Random Thoughts. so it makes it even less active then a message board with one, because it doesn't attract as many people, and if there's no one else to talk with then there's no active discussions.

You hit the nail on the head.

Facebook and Twitter are killing AE. If you wanted to show someone a stupid ass youtube video, nowadays you'd just post it on their facebook. Them and all their friends would see it and laugh. Before Facebook and Twitter exploded, people had a greater tendency to post this stuff on AE.

The reason AE never "blew up" like some of those social networking sites is because our forum doesn't have a specific purpose. If AE was dedicated 100% to hacking the iPhone, we'd have 100,000 members, 10 million posts, and about 1000 active members at any given time. People would google "how to jailbreak iphone 3g" and they'd find links to posts on the forums detailing it. It would result in them joining and posting. If they had any interest in the subject matter, or found the site to be particularly useful, they'd stay.

The sad fact is that we really don't cater to one specific interest. We've got a bunch of individual subforums focusing on certain topics, but nothing too specific. They're all very vague and very general.

I also agree with Brenton that RT never helped the site. Not one bit. I consider RT to be a useless heap of spam. However, RT also has a tendency to absorb any would-be, good, constructive discussion into it's vault of meaningless. The "General" section of the board is basically RT junior. I should delete RT.

A lot of smaller, nonspecific forums such as ours, are dying out. We'll stick around a good deal longer though.

I think we could focus on 3 things, and lose/generalize some of the other forums, do we really need the clubs? all that stuff could fit in and and liven up a more general topic forum (I.E video games, TV, movies, and books).

Me personally I don't post as often as I would like because I feel that there arent many topics where I fell that me posing would greatly contribute to a conversation in a positive manner. If I felt like that I would be posting alot more.

Also agreed twitter and facebook are killing this place.

Yeah, sometimes I just don't bother replying in threads because I know the tendency of things being taken the wrong way. I'm worried that someone will be offended or something, or think that what I said is stupid. But I mean, that's AE for you, no offense. I think we have more fun pissing each other off than actually saying something thought provoking.

Yeah, sometimes I just don't bother replying in threads because I know the tendency of things being taken the wrong way. I'm worried that someone will be offended or something, or think that what I said is stupid. But I mean, that's AE for you, no offense. I think we have more fun pissing each other off than actually saying something thought provoking.

I try not to post in the SD&D section because most members personally attack or make condescending remarks.

another thing that driving this place into the ground IMO is squabbles between members. i've seen so many argue for like 3-4 pages in RT to have one or both leave. its been alot better this year but last year was terrible

and i feel the same way gummy. too many times have small mistakes in my post been pulled foreward and put as the cause of my post being nothing that should ever be considered as anything. it is shit because of the small things. main reason i don't even look at thread in SD&D

Honestly, I kinda like the idea of locking Random Thoughts for a while just to see what happens.

And yeah I hear ya about the squabbles. I try my best not to post anything that ends up causing drama.

The point of thisb site was never growth. It was supposed to be just for a group of people to go and talk. I don't know why we choose a webfourm when we might be better served by something like an IRC channel, or the Skype chatroom that is going every night. Probably because we all migrated here FROM another webforum. There have been other tools that are starting to come out, such as friendfeed, that would be better than this place. But we already have this place.

I, for one, would prefer if this remained a closed community. If it dies, it dies. If I want to interact with the rest of the internet I can easily go out to the rest of the internet. If I want to interact with AE I come here.

I don't get why people would want this place to become a large faceless forum. The entire point of why I come to the the site, and have been coming here for four years, would be lost. We're fine like this. Why mess it up? So lets stop trying to be something that we are not and enjoy what we are.

GPS, the reason why you come to this forum is lost. Nobody posts here anymore.

Plenty of people post here! We're posting here right now! Instead of bitching about how NOBODY posts here anymore let's just... I dunno.... POST?!

Plenty of people post here! We're posting here right now! Instead of bitching about how NOBODY posts here anymore let's just... I dunno.... POST?!

The only reason people are posting right now is because someone pointed out that nobody is posting anymore. This happens every time.

Every time someone notices a dramatic decrease in activity everyone remaining starts posting again for a short while, but eventually it's going to be dead again.

That's just silliness.

I post to take my mind off the real world.

I post to explain things that my normal friends don't understand or don't enjoy.

I post to let out secrets that I can't reveal to people close to me.

Who cares why you post.

Arse is being rather silly posting about how this place should die.

If he doesn't care, then why does he keep posting? Attention, that's why. He'll reply to this with some form of stoic response to make himself look cool/feel better. He can't help it. It's in his nature. lol

Ah, life is full of interesting random stupid silliness that makes no sense. AE is my place to vent.

the thing I find weird is that while a shitload of you I can chat to on AIM and be cool and whatever but despite knowing of you/the odd conversation there are still a few people here that I rarely talk to and don;t know all that well and wish I did. Like Leading Man, Alundra, Belial etc.

Also I have actually been thinking of starting up a random blog for music reviews, creative works etc genral live journal/twitter type thing jsut so I can start writing again (had a surge of creativity recently and finally decided to turn a short story into a 10 min film). But man I would be so willing to attach it to AE just for more input into the place. Mainly due to me not being around recently (stupid laptop).

I suppose that this whole discussion that I looked through would explain the lack of activity for everything that I post. Granted some things have been dumb. But yeah, as a new member, I could say that this site seems that pretty cool. I enjoy the broad spectrum of topics and I think that the whole generalization thing with RT is kind of what brings down activities in the other areas of the site.

People should be a little more decisive about where they post things and stuff and maybe, even though one thread wont have a whole lot of posts, people could be more active in responding. If a bunch of random thoughts and ideas are put into one huge thread, who is going to read through them to find something that they might have had some response to? I don't know. I know that my advice really has no bearing, seeing that I just joined this community, but yeah, take it as you will. I know that I am going to continue to post whether I get feedback or not. :headbang:

the thing I find weird is that while a shitload of you I can chat to on AIM and be cool and whatever but despite knowing of you/the odd conversation there are still a few people here that I rarely talk to and don;t know all that well and wish I did. Like Leading Man, Alundra, Belial etc.

Also I have actually been thinking of starting up a random blog for music reviews, creative works etc genral live journal/twitter type thing jsut so I can start writing again (had a surge of creativity recently and finally decided to turn a short story into a 10 min film). But man I would be so willing to attach it to AE just for more input into the place. Mainly due to me not being around recently (stupid laptop).

I like the whole concept of a creative works section. I would like feedback on some of the things that I've done over the years, but never did anything with.

Now you're just making me blush, what's a girl like me to do?

that sparked an idea in my mind. i think an AE creative collective would be kind of a cool attachment to the site. kind of like graphics, fan art and fiction but with articles and such like the Lets play series*no doubt will be shot to hell by certain peoples but i think it'd be kind of neat*

that sparked an idea in my mind. i think an AE creative collective would be kind of a cool attachment to the site. kind of like graphics, fan art and fiction but with articles and such like the Lets play series*no doubt will be shot to hell by certain peoples but i think it'd be kind of neat*

Let's get this whole thing started man!!! :headbang: