Accelerated Evolution

The "Learn You Some Music" Thread

i find a clean flute is the best platform to begin on*looks in flute*....... yea.... ew

totally up for some help on tremelo picking. can't get it right anymore

start slow into you can keep a solid rhythm, then everytime you practice just try to go as fast as possible while still keeping rhythm.

I think all the music games that are out nowadays kind of diminish people's interest in actually learning how to play. But yeah, I used to play the baritone sax in school, gave the guitar an effort (meaning that I had a DVD that came with the thing and got as far as "Pretty Woman" before my parents pawned my b-day gift), and am considering trying to pick up an instrument again. I think I might go for the guitar again, but who knows? It is just such a versatile instrument.

i've always been interested in learning the piano. i have one, granted it's horribly out of tune. i like to try to play it when i'm drunk.

Hell yeah dude, if I had lots more time and energy i might try to pick it up. I think my hands have enough of the piano-playing-like activity with typing all day though. lol

I used to play piano from like 3 years old 'till I was around 10 and got to composers such as Chopin and Beethoven. I now remember so very little of it.

My dad has been a piano teacher for 60 years so sometimes I go back and have lessons but I never liked it very much.

Although I am a huge classical music fan, I love listening to it. Never the drive to relearn it though.

thats the problem. my arm still acts like it knows it all. it does the movments but my hand doesn't. i miss the string and such constantly. i just can't seem to slow it down

I keep my pick at a 45 degree angle from the string, helps your response and speed. I guess i would have to see you play to give any tips :/

I play folk punk on a Cordoba gitano d-5 gypsy jazz acoustic guitar and scream until I'm coughing up blood.

Started playing guitar about nine years ago. I own a dozen different instruments, but the only other one I play excessively is a Clarke pennywhistle.

I want to learn to tremolo pick on electric, because when it comes to writing music black metal is the only thing my limited creativity bank can handle, and I'm completely incapable of playing it at the present.

I play the drums. Everyone's always like "stop being so loud!" which kind of makes practicing difficult.

Dude I so feel you on this one lol.

I want to learn to tremolo pick on electric, because when it comes to writing music black metal is the only thing my limited creativity bank can handle, and I'm completely incapable of playing it at the present.

I don't know how other people feel, but I don't think there's really a technique to it. It's just something you kind of figure out after trying a bit, like doing death vocals. Just work on your picking speed and pick attack cause no matter how fast you play you still have to hit the string. :hardgay:

• 1 month later...

For chord switching...practice chord switching. Just pick out a basic song and try to play along. If it's too fast, turn it off and just play it at a slower speed making sure all your chords ring cleanly. Just keep doing it and eventually you get better at it. It won't come instantly but it'll happen. As for picking up and down, do you mean like picking two notes on one string then moving to the next string and picking two notes or what? I don't really understand your question.

For chord switching...practice chord switching. Just pick out a basic song and try to play along. If it's too fast, turn it off and just play it at a slower speed making sure all your chords ring cleanly. Just keep doing it and eventually you get better at it. It won't come instantly but it'll happen. As for picking up and down, do you mean like picking two notes on one string then moving to the next string and picking two notes or what? I don't really understand your question.

Yeah, I think when I was learning how I used the song "Fiddler On The Green" by Demons & Wizards because the better part of the song is only 3 to 4 chords. I will say in addition to what John said, using the correct fingering goes a long way. If you set your fingers up correctly, there will come a point where it kind of clicks and you can see how easy it can be to switch from A to B to C by only having to move a few fingers or shift the position of your hand. In essence: Don't take shortcuts when it comes to chords especially.

I also have the same question as John lol. Are you referring to alternate picking or just general pick attack/hitting the string(s) properly?

Play major scales over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Pick upwards every other note; your hand is moving up anyway if you pick down, you just need to learn to control that movement as well.

That is how you get good at guitar. I am 100% serious.

Read tabs, yo. I don't know how to read music either.

A scale is just a riff like any other. You learn it like you'd learn any other song. But scales are really useful to know; that's how you learn to do sweet improvised guitar solos.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa041101b.htm

That's just the first thing I got when I googled "major scale guitar" but it should help.

• 2 weeks later...

guess it goes in here. i'm in the market for recording stuff and have no clue where to start. I was looking at the usb line 6 things but i've heard they are quite restricting. so looking at it from the view of someone who doesn't have the riches for a full studio whats a good start? should i get a mixer and a sound card? or just go for one of those cheapo usb recording boxes?

• 1 month later...

if you dont have somone to show you, your best bet is to just figure out what frets sound good together on one string, then start meshing the other strings into it. Then just play those strings together and bar it.

Its going to take some time guys, expect to practice for at least 6 months before anything halfway decent comes out of your guitar.