Accelerated Evolution

LP General Discussion

Hey guys, so I'm putting together a pretty comprehensive FAQ to help people with putting together their own Let's Play videos. Here's what I've got so far (and I'll probably have some more by the time you post, but yeah... annnnyyyywaaayyyysss:

Rules/Guidelines:

I'm not very funny. Should I still try?

What are some narration styles?

What games should I Let's Play?

What types of Let's Play have you seen before?

Technical Stuff:

--Recording Tools--

--Encoding--

--Video Hosting--

--Image Hosting--

Tips & Tricks

If you have any other questions or ideas that you'd like to see covered in the FAQ please let me know and I;'ll shove em in there. Hard.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's going to be across the board incorporating all the styles of LP. So it'll have tips for creating Screenshot LPs, Text LPs, or Video LPs. The level by level thing was just how I chose to break it up. Kinda like how with Kain I break it up in ~30 minute chunks.

I'll try to mention that the decision when to cut the video off is up to you tho. Good idea.

here's something i've been wondering about the process of LPs. do you finish a game before starting one, or do you typically beat the game first and then start it up again and record it already knowing right where to go?

it's something i've wondered because most of them that i've seen it seems like the player already has a good or general idea where they need to go and what to do.

also do you record the narration while playing or do you record and then play the video back while doing the commentary? i believe i already know the answer to this but it would be good to clear up in the FAQ.

Sweet, I'll add those to the guidelines.

FYI: The answers are...

Yes, I fully recommend having at least played through the game before once for your first LP. It helps the process a lot more if you're not fighting the game the first time. You can totally do blind LPs, I think Heratic's was blind and I've been doing Kain pretty much blind for 4 vids since I work so much. But it's a lot better to play through the level at least once to completion then record it. That's how my EWJ LP came out so smoothly. I had the levels pretty much memorized by the time I recorded. Being lost in a video isn't all that fun to watch.

And personally I do a playback and add the commentary in post treating it as if it were live. Which I fully admit is kinda cheesy, but most people have commented that it works well. Many people play live, I don't really like to do so simply because there's a lot going through your head playing the game, commenting and trying to control your speaking so you don't sound like an idiot. Taking the playing live part out of the equation makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Btw, I've been planning to do this very thing someday. It's a game no one is expecting and it will make you rage once you know it exists.

I hope it's Batman: Dark Tomorrow because I'd like to see how the rest of the game went since I turned it off an hour in to it.

Also :thumbs up: for a LP FAQ. I've been trying to do one last night and it was a whole lot of trial and error to get things right.

So, I have been thinking one of these things, People close to me have said I should be on the radio, so I figure I must have some sort of audible attractiveness.

I have a ton of games, but I can't really decide. I was thinking an RPG, or an Action RPG, but even those seem to be a bit repetitive. I would need some suggestions.

Also, I want to know what capturing method you use, Gimp.

If you're thinking about doing an RPG really the best format has always been screenshot, IMO. That way you can get all the story elements (which people care about) and skip over all the random battles (which people don't.) The downside is you're looking to do a video LP obviously since there's no voice going along with that, and honestly RPGs tend to not be that fun to watch in my opinion. Maybe if you did a lot of clever editting or something... But that's a lot of work, plus they tend to be loooong. Even with 30 minute updates a whole RPG could take 160 updates to finish if you showed everything. Course if you go action RPG it entirely depends on how you show it. After all, even Kain and Zelda are technically action RPGs, and I've seen a great video LP of Suiken Densetsu 3 before.

So it's really up to you, but another genre might be better for a first one.

I agree with what was said in the other thread that these need their own Subforum. Make it a bit easier to keep track of them. I mean, Leading Man is doing one, J-Stop just started one and I'm prolly going to try to start one in the next few minutes. I'm sure at least one other person on here will, too.

EDIT: Choice made: SUB-TERRANIA

Sweet, I'll add those to the guidelines.

FYI: The answers are...

Yes, I fully recommend having at least played through the game before once for your first LP. It helps the process a lot more if you're not fighting the game the first time. You can totally do blind LPs, I think Heratic's was blind and I've been doing Kain pretty much blind for 4 vids since I work so much. But it's a lot better to play through the level at least once to completion then record it. That's how my EWJ LP came out so smoothly. I had the levels pretty much memorized by the time I recorded. Being lost in a video isn't all that fun to watch.

And personally I do a playback and add the commentary in post treating it as if it were live. Which I fully admit is kinda cheesy, but most people have commented that it works well. Many people play live, I don't really like to do so simply because there's a lot going through your head playing the game, commenting and trying to control your speaking so you don't sound like an idiot. Taking the playing live part out of the equation makes the whole thing a lot easier.

so in general.. you should play through the whole game while recording and then commentate later.. while rewatching it, .. I think I can do this, but Justin.. how do I record and use the mic stuff I mean I'm not exactyly computer literate.

That's a bit much to explain. I should have the FAQ up soon, so once it's up it should answer any questions you have hopefully. =)

The basics of it, is you use a recording software like fraps, camtasia, or hypercam and record the game. Then, once you have it recorded you edit / add audio. There's a few ways to do this, but one of the easiest is using Windows Media Player's Narrate option.

Like I said, the heavy duty specifics will be in the FAQ that should be up in a couple days.

That's a bit much to explain. I should have the FAQ up soon, so once it's up it should answer any questions you have hopefully. =)

The basics of it, is you use a recording software like fraps, camtasia, or hypercam and record the game. Then, once you have it recorded you edit / add audio. There's a few ways to do this, but one of the easiest is using Windows Media Player's Narrate option.

Like I said, the heavy duty specifics will be in the FAQ that should be up in a couple days.

ok Justin thanks for the info.. I wanna do one so bad.

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now.

I think after my summer classes are over I will give this idea hefty consideration.

Just...I wonder what game I would pick?

An obvious choice would be FF2/4 because I am so familiar with it. But I wonder how well rpgs work in these Let's PLat archives. I guess if/when I learn how to record shit I could cut out all the random encounters or something.

Hmmmm.