Accelerated Evolution
Refined Mind

World Unity? The entire sentient species acting as one?

I have many opinions on this matter myself but, seeing that I am really tired right now, I figured that I would just post the thread and see what kind of response it gets by tomorrow at lunch or whenever I get the chance. Throughout history, segregation was natural and the unity of nations was necessary for the betterment of the human race in small sub-groups and whatnot. It would take awhile to get all my ideas down, but I think that the world is progressing towards this now but old ideas of nationalism and everyone's accumulated history with one another is preventing that. I don't know. Let me know what you think. I think this could spark some good debate and discussion.

I really don't think it is possible unless some alien life form was to encounter earth, even then it is a reach.

Something like Star Trek: First Contact is pretty much the only way I see it happening.

Unity? in what way. in just people living together no matter where they come from we're pretty much there.

If unity in a way where everyone is under one flag or something similar i hope it never happens personally. With something like that destruction of culture would happen and views are just annexed into a small scope and are lost

i can't come up with a full opinion on this until i know exactly what your getting at but that's two facets i pulled from your post

Unity? in what way. in just people living together no matter where they come from we're pretty much there.

If unity in a way where everyone is under one flag or something similar i hope it never happens personally. With something like that destruction of culture would happen and views are just annexed into a small scope and are lost

i can't come up with a full opinion on this until i know exactly what your getting at but that's two facets i pulled from your post

I really disagree about living together and coming together where ever they are from.

Racism, hate crimes, civil war, tribe warfare. Or maybe I misunderstood you.

I am talking about everyone getting rid of all the animosity towards each person's country/culture/whatever and realizing that people are people no matter where and that it is time to quit doing injustices to one another for causes that have no real purpose but to throw another kink into the progress towards what I see as natural progression, global unity. I don't think that people would get rid of their heritages either. They might meld together into a big group, but the individual components of it will not be lost. Look at the United States, just because we have all these cultures living under one flag, their hasn't really been a degredation as to the adversity of cultures and subgroups that we have....

shared consciousness it totally possible, there has been alot of research done on it as well (you'll just have to find it), Then again, im pretty deep into panpsychism.

I really disagree about living together and coming together where ever they are from.

Racism, hate crimes, civil war, tribe warfare. Or maybe I misunderstood you.

racism itself doesn't really exist outside of the remaining Ayaran nations and KKK. its all religion now.

all that retarded hate against middle eastern people is about their religion choice. the 3 biggest religions just can't get over their hate for each other. to quote an Israeli musician "Jews slaughtered Christians, Christians slaughtered Muslims and Muslims slaughtered Jews and the cycle keeps repeating itself"

That is the biggest obstacle in the way of a unified world. someone has the break the cycle. more need to realize "hey. we all worship the same god"

People who share a language and more or less agree on the way things have shook down in the historical context tend not to fight each other. (ex. English speaking world, EU, more and more of Latin America, etc...)

I guess the question is can technology over come the current rifts between cultures? Perhaps.

I can't help but be reminded of the tale of Babel.

Not until those guys there finish killing off those other guys over there. And then we kill them off. Then everyone in the world will be united because everyone is us. ^o^

I think most of you are forgetting Africa as often happens.

Africa can't sustain the population it has. not enough land that can be used for agriculture. not like we can really fix that. we can send crates of food, bibles, water and teach them how to grow things all we want. given the state the land is in its not doing a helluva lot. and the food we send is consumed quickly by a growing population

That and environmentalists are fighting the distribution of fully tested genetically altered crops that produce higher and superior yields in arrid environments, and then convincing starving people not to take them because none of the environmentalists have done any research on what they're fighting.

Anyways, I don't care about world unity. Everyone doesn't need to get along. Now if we could just settle on not killing each other over stupid shit, leaving each other alone except to offer aid if the other guys want it I'd be happy.

That and environmentalists are fighting the distribution of fully tested genetically altered crops that produce higher and superior yields in arrid environments, and then convincing starving people not to take them because none of the environmentalists have done any research on what they're fighting.

Anyways, I don't care about world unity. Everyone doesn't need to get along. Now if we could just settle on not killing each other over stupid shit, leaving each other alone except to offer aid if the other guys want it I'd be happy.

depends if they solved that problem of these crops having almost no nutritional value. i haven't kept up on GE crops for a good 4 years so i dunno if they solved it or not

Pretty certain they have, I too need to read into it more. But the idea is sound, and the problem that's causing the blockage of the goods is the fact that they're not "natural." Which is pretty much lies.

Pretty certain they have, I too need to read into it more. But the idea is sound, and the problem that's causing the blockage of the goods is the fact that they're not "natural." Which is pretty much lies.

they aren't technically. we messed with them extensivley to get them that way. the only problem with GE stuff i have is alot of them have the ability to seed removed aswell. otherwise go ahead. the bugs are more resilient and the land is getting harsher everywhere

It's a grey area because the genes being used are plant, making it essentially a forced form of cross pollination. They're not using animal genes or anything ridiculous like that, so while the breed may not have occurred in nature yet, it can. It's sorta like saying "all natural corn" since corn is a man-made plant it doesn't really mean anything.

Africa does post a problem to world unity because it is always a place of controversy and a place that is constantly exploited. Genetically modified food is something that could solve the issue of famine that they have there, but that is only part of the issue. Most of the problems in Africa are political.

The only reason world unity doesn't work is because we kill eachother over stupid shit. Not everyone needs to get along to work together.

Earth will never e united until there is shared consciousness. you can put up as many superficial borders, relegions, and treaties. But the inherent problem is and always will be the misuse of authority and authoritative process.

Would that be getting along?

In a way, yes. However I was more referring to the "sentient speicies acting as one" thing from the OP. I don't care about everyone uniting under one banner with one ideal, and one belief structure or being part of some supposed collective conciousness. I'll settle for people not killing each other and helping out people with shitty situations. Have your differing beliefs and argue all you want about things. I don't care if we don't all agree on anything ever, as long as people aren't sticking each other's heads on spikes over retarded ideas.

I suppose I'm saying I'd prefer us all being civilized than unity.

In a way, yes. However I was more referring to the "sentient speicies acting as one" thing from the OP. I don't care about everyone uniting under one banner with one ideal, and one belief structure or being part of some supposed collective conciousness. I'll settle for people not killing each other and helping out people with shitty situations. Have your differing beliefs and argue all you want about things. I don't care if we don't all agree on anything ever, as long as people aren't sticking each other's heads on spikes over retarded ideas.

I suppose I'm saying I'd prefer us all being civilized than unity.

wouldn't what your describing being civilized as inspire unity?

racism itself doesn't really exist outside of the remaining Ayaran nations and KKK. its all religion now.

In the US, among the white members of society, yeah. The Ayaran nations and KKK may be the only major such groups left... But the world, and even this country, is a big place. To write off racism as only a US/western or white problem, is just ignorance in the extreme. As is the idea that the end and/or atrophy of some of the major racist groups means we no longer have to worry about racism or that it is no longer an issue.

I mean I'm not saying that it definitely is or isn't still one, only that you can't go and say "all clear" just because of that.

In the US, among the white members of society, yeah. The Ayaran nations and KKK may be the only major such groups left... But the world, and even this country, is a big place. To write off racism as only a US/western or white problem, is just ignorance in the extreme. As is the idea that the end and/or atrophy of some of the major racist groups means we no longer have to worry about racism or that it is no longer an issue.

I mean I'm not saying that it definitely is or isn't still one, only that you can't go and say "all clear" just because of that.

i never said it was a strictly western thing. i just gave an example of two well know rscist groups. i'm not gonna sit all day writing out every racist group from Here to Africa. its just not as big of a deal as the religion issue is now.

i see now. i forgot to put the etc after them. fuck

A one-world government is a terrible idea.

First of all, the assumption that it would end wars assumes that national borders are what causes violence. Creating a one-world government wouldn't abolish religion, nor change peoples' skin colors, or alter their tribal history.

Secondly, it would place an immense amount of power in the hands of a relatively small number of people, and people have shown time and again that they cannot be trusted with power.

There would be no utopia; just an expensive and time-consuming effort that would ultimately be fruitless.