Accelerated Evolution

Let's Play: Mega Man 1!

J-Stop

megamanbox.jpg

-- Game Information- --

Title: Mega Man

Release Date: December 1987

Platform: NES (other platforms include mobile and Wii's Virtual Console and soon to be available on iPhone. Also included on the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. A remake with two new bosses and remixed music was made for the PSP called Mega Man: Powered Up)*

Developer: Capcom

Publisher: Capcom

Story: Two scientists, Dr. Thomas Light and his partner Dr. Albert Wily create robots together to better the world. However Dr. Wily feels he's being undermined by Dr. Light's creations and decides to reprogram the robots to take over the world. Dr. Light finishes his greatest robot, Mega Man, to stop Wily's evil plan. **

-- Introduction --

Mega Man/Rockman is one of Capcom's biggest franchises. With games that span well over 70 titles from platformers, RPGs, and even sports, Mega Man was in it everything. Even outside of games he's been in a Japanese educational movie, two very bad US cartoon series, and action figures, he's about as well known as Mario is. This is the game that started it all. The original game didn't sell very well but Capcom still produced a second one which is really where the series started to take off. Whether you remember this game for the sadistic difficulty, or the horrible box art and description on the back, this is where Mega Man started. WOW!

-- Series/Videos --

Part 1 - State-of- the-Art High Resolution Graphics! / Bomb Man's Stage (Orb City)

Part 2 - Kung-Fu Cutman / Cut Man's Stage

Part 3 - (Kicking) Guts Man's ass! / Guts Man's Stage (Mountain Mines)

Part 4 - Disappearing blocks? Sounds like fun! / Elec Man's Stage (Electrical Tower)

Part 5 - Hopefully they don't put these blocks in the sequel... / Ice Man's Stage (Arctic Jungle)

Part 6 - Liquid hot MAGMA / Fire Man's Stage (Steel Mill)

Part 7 - Time to go after that balding assface! / Wily Factory level 1

Part 8 - Didn't we already beat these guys? / Wily Factory level 2

Part 9 - For everlasting peace! / Wily Factory levels 3 and 3 + ending credits

-- Updates --

5/22 - LP Started. Completed Bomb Man's level. This is the third take on this, first one was just tinkering with the software to get it to work right without lag, and the second one I had accidentally recorded the flickering section at the bottom of the screen and forgot to save the game. So if it seems like I did the level pretty well is because I already played it about eight times beforehand. Yeah, its probably not any good. I made a lot of mistakes while speaking, like forgetting to say "released on" and things like that, and I forgot that I already talked about Gutsman stage in the beginning. Next video will probably be better since I\\\'m still getting into the groove of talking to myself rather then with actual friends around.

Next time I won\\\'t be hung over or tired from the night before... maybe.

5/23 - Part 2, Cut Man's level is completed and up. I found using the mute button on the mic helps tone down some of the breathing noises you heard in the first part, although a few seconds into this one I noticed you can hear a little of it at the beginning (and some other parts) but I only caught it after the video was converted.

Also using my Duel Shock 2 controller now instead of a Microsoft Sidewinder. The d-pad is a whole hell of a lot better to play with.

5/24 - Part 3 is now up. Guts Man and Elec Man's stages are two of the most aggravating in the game besides Wily's. Glad to have those over. Ice Man has a few frustrating parts but with M things should go smoothly.

5/26 - Part 4: Elec Man's Stage is now up! This one was fun to do because of how the level is designed. It's annoying to the point where you could see why more "item" weapons were made and eventually how and why Rush was conceived. Plus it's the first instance where you needed to back track in a level if you didn't have a bosses weapon to gain a upgrade that would help you out.

My mic might be a little louder then the other videos. I'm working on another LP to go up next month and found out FRAPS would only record some sounds, like speech (!), at a very low volume. This was due to my sound card sucking, so I bought a new one that works well. Now my levels are all out of wack. Hopefully things will be sorted out for the next section. Also, I meant to say "Mega Man X" in the middle of the vid and the "soon--ish?" was because half of the video was recorded on Saturday when the thread wasn't yet posted.

6/9 - Parts 5 and 6 are up. Part 5's quality is bad, but since Ice Man was finished and the game was saved right afterward I wasn't going all the way back and replying to this point to fix it. The rest of the game is now recorded but the audio is louder then the others because of the reason from the last update.

6/11 - Part 7 is now up. The audio is fairly low to start out but I turned the mic up half way into it so it gets louder. There's still a problem with the video stuttering around the 3:26 mark, I'm not sure why that is since it doesn't appear in the original file.

6/12 - Part 8 is up. Same deal with the audio in this one, I start the mic out low but turn it up a little later. Only one more video left to go!

---

* - "Mega Man" was also released for DOS and Game Gear but these are completely different from the original game. The DOS version was developed by Hi-Tech and had completely unique Robot Masters like Dyna Man and Volt Man. The Game Gear version was Freestyle and is sort of a remix of bosses from 4 and 5 from the NES like The Wily Wars on the Megadrive.

** - In the Japanese plot Light and Wily were not partners. That was just made up for the US audience and somehow found its way into the cannon for the Japanese series as well.

Mega Man brings out the six year old in me. Looking back on the thread I probably shouldn't have put that up considering how terrible it is. I sound extremely recluse because it was weird talking to myself. Whenever there was something I wanted to remember to say in the video I noticed those came out like I was punctuating them instead of just remembering something off the top of my head quick. All the videos I've taken so far have been pre-recorded then I add in the commentary later. So every time thing I want to say pops into my head I feel like I need to get it out fast or the game is going to move on to something else I wanted to talk about.

Since Camtasia lags behind the video when adding commentary, I have to have Zoomplayer on in the background to see where I'm at. With a few more videos I'll probably be more use to this process and be more lax.

Also noticed a lot more mistakes like hearing the mouse clicks in the background where I was cutting and splicing the audio.

I'm a fan of starting with cutman. I don't know why.

Anyways, awesome to see your first LP! (and nice op btw) Watching now.

Edit: I liked it a lot actually. That run went really well, commentary was good and trust me you'll get over the weirdness of talking to yourself in a room soon enough. Only real tip I have is to watch out for swallowing and breathing. There were a couple times in your commentary your mic actually picked up a swallow or two and it was a little distracting. haha

Other than that good commentary and pacing and the recording was solid. Awesome job! And I'll be following this. =P

Btw, I know this isn't megaman 1 related, but I'm starting work on the first Megaman X vid for our communal let's play. I'll post more about it once I make the OP, but I figured this was a good place to start. I should have the OP up shortly after we get the new forum.

I guess I'll host it on youtube as well as viddler, since that's where a lot of you guys host, but yeah posting here cuz J-Stop has totally got to do at least a level.

Edit: (Someone else do the final battle, I suck at it...)

Btw, I know this isn't megaman 1 related, but I'm starting work on the first Megaman X vid for our communal let's play. I'll post more about it once I make the OP, but I figured this was a good place to start. I should have the OP up shortly after we get the new forum.

I guess I'll host it on youtube as well as viddler, since that's where a lot of you guys host, but yeah posting here cuz J-Stop has totally got to do at least a level.

Boomer Kuwanger is awesome

Part 2 / Cut Man's level is now up! Be sure to watch it all the way to the end for a surprise.

Hopefully I'll be able to do one stage a day, granted I don't go crazy trying to beat Guts Man's level.

I'm a fan of starting with cutman. I don't know why.

Anyways, awesome to see your first LP! (and nice op btw) Watching now.

Edit: I liked it a lot actually. That run went really well, commentary was good and trust me you'll get over the weirdness of talking to yourself in a room soon enough. Only real tip I have is to watch out for swallowing and breathing. There were a couple times in your commentary your mic actually picked up a swallow or two and it was a little distracting. haha

Other than that good commentary and pacing and the recording was solid. Awesome job! And I'll be following this. =P

Thanks, Gimpy. I noticed the breathing while watching it again last night. I tried drowning that out this time and also using the mute button on the mic a lot more for part 2. It really helps when you're sitting there on an uninteresting section with nothing to talk about, so the mic doesn't pick up any unnoticed breathing.

Nice Vid Mike, and seeing it makes me wanna get a Sniper Joe tattoo

Speaking of which, I went back and looked at the Sniper Joe models in the past games as well as the X series. You know what color all of them are? Green. Major screw up on my part. For some reason I thought they were red after 1.

Sounds great. I'll take whatever stage. We'd have to work out how we're going about getting armor pieces, heart tanks, sub tanks, and the hadoken. Cause most of them you can't get without getting another boss's weapon. I'd do Sting Chameleon's stage but getting that heart tank in that level is frustrating. :laugh:

Also, just putting it out there for now, but if MM1 goes well I'll probably continue on with the series. Everyone is invited to do a boss or level. Just hit me with a PM or post in the game's LP thread when it goes up so I don't finish off the boss before hand.

too late for a let's see how you do against kung-fu cutman post?

it wasnt bad. i watched both and thought the first was pretty informal while the second was more overall commentary on what you were doing and handling the stage. and not to be a dick for asking but if you died in bombmans stage from the stomper enemy how do you have 2 lives still in cutmans?

220px-Xena_Simpsons.jpg

Anytime something like that happens a wizard did it.

and not to be a dick for asking but if you died in bombmans stage from the stomper enemy how do you have 2 lives still in cutmans?

I have no idea what you're talking about!

But seriously, after each section and hitting the stop button for record, I've been going through a stage and dying to get all my lives back for the next section then saving. Pretty sure you guys don't want to see me dying over and over just in one level. :tongue:

Part 4/Gut's Man stage was recorded last night. Just need to encode and upload it. Hopefully I'll get one or two stages finished today and have them up in the next two nights. Already bouncing around a few other games to start up a new LP once Mega Man is finished. Think I know what it will be though, and it'll be somewhat interesting to people who've only jumped in on the series when it came to PS1.

I'd be down to play a level of the first mega man x, seeing as i've tried to speed run it about 1000 times.

Part 3/Guts Man's stage is now up. That freeze a few moments in was me save stating because if the section didn't go well I wouldn't have to repeat the first part over and over again while recording it. By some miracle I made it on my first try though.

By "first try" I mean my twentieth time trying and failing to practice my timing right before recording.

Wow, that was really good mike. I like it when you learn shit about the game. Great first LP.

Thanks. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Amg. You didn't link Ice-man! I've been sitting here waiting for more... WHEN IT EXISTS! =D

:ohmy:

I wasn't sure to link that one or redo it since the editing is poor. For some reason there's stuttering in one of the sections and I didn't edit out the cursor on the times when I needed to pause. After showing it some friends though it doesn't seem like it's that bad, so Ice Man and Fire Man's levels are now up on the OP.

You should lower the game audio's volume next time, it was a little hard to hear you.

Won't be able to do it for the rest of this series unfortunately since everything is already recorded. Not sure if there's a way to lower the volume of a recorded video in Camtasia. It's something I didn't notice until long after everything was already finished.

My next LP game will have the volume adjusted, though.