Accelerated Evolution

The good book thread

Recently my collection decreased from about 200 books to around 30. most of them Goosebumps books. so I'm looking for some good recommendations to replenish my shelf. anything and everything that's good and interesting. I hope this can kind of turn into a "share your faves so everyone else can read" type thing

already first on my list to replace

The Giver

and my first print Rascal

so put em forward. Descriptions would help immensely as well

Well, I doubt you'd be interested but my favorite books are Ayn Rand's.

Other than that here are my top fav's.

Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle- Kurt Vonnegut

The Red Badge of Courage- Stephen Crane

The Road- Cormac McCarthy, seriously if you haven't read it do it. He's a great writer and is the same guy who wrote No Country for Old Men, also the Road is a Viggo Mortensen movie that is going to be released.

Brave New World- Aldous Huxley, you probably might have already read it but if you like dystopian novels and haven't then give it a try.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress- YES

A Clockwork Orange- also a personal favorite, and screw the NADSAT dictionaries, the whole fun is deciphering it.

Oh boy! I don't know how well I'll be able to describe these...

Lost In Translation is my favorite book. It's vastly different from the film, and it looks into archaeology and China's history, nothing at all to do with Japan, like in the film.

A Heart of Stone is maybe easier for a female to read, because it deals with post-partem psychosis, and is narrated by a female - sort of a coming of age story-ish. If you liked Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, you'll like this.

The Beach (Alex Garland) - An excellent novel that was made into a shitty Decaprio film. It's set in Thailand, where three travelers hear about this secret beach that is supposed to be like Eden; white sands, and more dope that you can ever imagine. They get to the beach and the mystery of it unravels as the story progresses. The ending is shocking. Kind of has a Lord of the Flies feel to it. Read it!

I think you'd really like the Beach.

I'm an unrepentant sci-fi junkie, so here goes:

Foundation by Asimov - the series is good, but the first book is, in my opinion, clearly the best.

Lord of Light by Zelazny - the technocracy walks the earth as Buddhist Gods

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - a man hunts androids and questions his humanity. sounds way less awesome than it is

World War Z: how humanity responds to disaster, with zombies and a very in character author

On the lighter side:

Terry Pratchett - excellent satirist. Night Watch and Thief of Time are my favorites so far

Douglas Adams - I've only read the Hithhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but that's enough

oh! I intend to read Ayn Rand books...when I finally save up money for my own copy. I like Haruki Murakami works and also Yukio Mishima's "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea."

Ayn Rand is my favorite author, I've read all her fiction and some of her philosophy books.

I say read Anthem first, Atlas Shrugged 2nd, The Fountainhead 3rd and We the Living 4th. All of them are very good.