Accelerated Evolution

Paid internship vs. regular (retail) job

Pretty much what the topic says:

A lot of people have been down on their luck, but God finally decided to throw me several good bones after a long period of shitstorm weather. Some of those bones include but are not limited to:

- Not only getting over my ex, but having a few girls to choose from for my next venture into the dating realm.

- More than one job to choose from

- A recurring internship that looks damn fine on my resume

- A paid internship that is mine to take or leave

This thread is about the the 2nd and 4th thing:

I have a really good internship right now that is unpaid, but allows me to put into my portfolio anything I personally work on. This includes major brands such as right now they're doing battle for a $12M contract with Audi. This internship is awesome because I get to work on stuff from high end clients and pocket the work I actually do, has a relaxed work environment with topshelf equipment with a lot of really talented illustrators and designers.

Therefore I'm not leaving that internship. I have been offered a paid internship from Utrecht, which is a major art supplies dealer, but it's only for the summer. Regardless I would still get a fuckton discount on art supplies and paid pretty well.

On the other hand, I've been offered a position at both Kohl's and Express/Express Men's. These would pay less, but last longer.

So do I go for a paid internship now and hope there's still a job later or pass the opportunity and get a more secure job?

I would go for the paid internship. I think it's a really neat opportunity that will look great on a resume, and you'll learn a lot. Even if it only lasts for the summer, those types of jobs always open doors for you. If you want to take a gamble, try it. You would have a far better summer doing that than working retail.

You feel lucky, punk?

I think that's what it comes down to. The internship is a gamble, but if it pays for now and it builds your resume it is definitely good. The only question is if stability is better. It's not my life, but I say go for the internship.

I'm really surprised to see you guys saying the other internship actually; Mostly because you're talking about the experience and resume credit but the internship I have right now that's unpaid is infinitely more impressive than doing some in-house stuff in one company. You guys got that right? Just want to make sure these are fully informed opinions.

I'm really surprised to see you guys saying the other internship actually; Mostly because you're talking about the experience and resume credit but the internship I have right now that's unpaid is infinitely more impressive than doing some in-house stuff in one company. You guys got that right? Just want to make sure these are fully informed opinions.

Yes, but more is better here. I know people of the opinion that no resume is too strong. It sounds like the only advantage to the retail job is security, so it's a gamble. Do you take the thing that's better in the short term and hope or the thing that's secure but has less upside? Like I said, I'd advise you to take the risk, but I'm not the one with his financial security on the line.

I found out that the internship is all the way in Cranbury which is 45 minutes away from me so I can't do it anyway because I don't own a car :glare:

I think I would've went with the job anyway because of what margot said. It's really fucking hard to find work now and when I have two offers, I really need to bite and hard. I still don't own a car, so that's kind of a priority. And besides I'd like to think that me returning to the 6th most successful direct marketing agency in the US and the 10th most successful agency in general boasting shit in my portfolio like Audi, Mercedes, BMW, MINI, etc. will speak volumes more than doing some inhouse stuff for an art supplies store. Not only that, but the internship I have there I was asked by my boss' boss and his boss to see if I was available, so it's a return deal and they asked for me by name. Maybe it's just me. Thanks for all your input though guys.

Maybe so, but this other internship only serves to further elevate your resume above the crowd. I'd say it's worth the minor gamble. Just be careful with the money you make knowing in advance that you may have a few weeks downtime.

Edit: Didn't see your later post until now. That sucks.