Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
Cleese

Hey, its Aion

So there's this game coming out and it's called Aion created by NCsoft behind things like Lineage and some other stuff.

It is an mmorpg and it's slated to come out in North America around September 21st(?) of this year.

Don't feel like waiting to test it out? Well fortunately you dont have to.

The open beta (which is really the complete game) is out in China right now. Why should you care? There's an English patch for the Chinese version so you can test it out for about 4 hours for free (if you wanted to play it for more, you have to buy additional hours which is dirt cheap to buy. 2 hours and 5 mins runs about 53 cents, the more you buy the cheaper it is. If you buy the max amount 200 2hour 5mins it runs 36.05 dollars or 18 cents per 2 hour 5min pack).

There are many different site which give you how to guides on installing it onto your computer, but I will save you the time and effort and give you this one to help you out.

If you want to know some information about aion check this link out.

I've given it a few hours of trying out and its pretty fun but my opinion is just that.

In before wowkiller.

I think I'd be more interested in this game if the art style didn't look like every japanese / korean kid's wet dream.

Everyone looks like a girl, and they all wear shiny armor and have wings? I'm out.

I think I'd be more interested in this game if the art style didn't look like every japanese / korean kid's wet dream.

Everyone looks like a girl, and they all wear shiny armor and have wings? I'm out.

Dude check it out, one of my friends was showing me it the other day.

You don't have to look like the typical korean style in the game because the character creation is so versatile. You can pretty much change every single part of the body/face type.

Yeah, that video isn't helping. lol

The art style actually gets on my nerves, regardless how pliable it is. It's like if I offered that I could let you choose where my Rottweiler mauls you. It could be on the balls, or the eyes, or right on the arm if you prefer, in the end I'd rather not get mauled in the first place. In the end, I've never seen a Korean MMORPG or even RPG (or possibly even game) that wasn't atrocious.

Been watching the development the past 2 years or so (about), nice to see it finally matured and in Beta testing (open beta) in asian countries.

http://www.aiononline.com/us/media/video/video.html

Videos of zones are really awesome, everyone who is interested atleast check out the Belusian Zone trailer which is the first video, each individual zone trailer has the zones music track which are all very well orchestrated, and recorded - the designs of the areas are very very cool, with great use of sky effects, weather effects, art style on the zones / mobs and NPC's is rad, and some zones have huge LOTR style stadios of Kings or what-have you, while Belusian has frozen over statues of what look like skeletons in armor with spears threw them, Neat Idea fo sho.

But yeah thought I'd contribute.

I played for a little while earlier today and heres what I've gathered from it so far:

Crafting: Those familiar with FF11's crafting (although I'm sure its true of a LOT of mmo's but 11's the only one I personally have to go from) you can level all the crafts, but can only take one to its maximum level, which I believe is something like 475 and the other 350 or something. Gathering raw materials has no limits as far as I know, I've been able to get everything from plants to ore to fish, each one has its own personal skill level as well.

Which comes to how crafting and gathering works in Aion, its pretty much a battle between the pass and fail bars; you right click and hope the pass one wins. I don't know why its so fun to watch but there's something about your character getting excited, cheering and fist pumping whenever they succeed. But also keep in mind, if you fail, you lose (or at least have the chance of) some of your materials necessary to craft whatever you were trying to make. Warcraft did spoil me in the crafting department but again, its not really fair to compare the two games but it will invariably happen, its like comparing a minivan to a station wagon.

I guess the unique 'catch' to Aion is flying. You first get the ability at level 10 with only a total of 1 min of fly time with it gradually increasing with your level (i think its in 10 level increments but I'm not totally sure). They appear to try to make it not just some gimmick for combat but a somewhat integral part of playing the game. There's things that are up in the air that you need to harvest to make into numerous raw materials for crafting. Need some iron ore to and there's none around? take a few seconds to look up above to see if there's one of those nodes. However, playing the harvest-before-you-run-out-of-flying-time-game is a little nerve racking.

They have been quoted as saying that this was tailored more to a western audience, so the stereotypical KOREANGRINDANMMO should not apply. It probably took me 4 to 5ish to get to level 11 playing as a warrior-turned-templar-at-level-10. But the first 10 levels always go by fast.

Now my complaints: In the main city of my faction (elyon or somethinglikethat) it takes a while to really get anywhere, even with the handy little cross-city portals they have up, it can be a little overwhelming at first. It might be that I'm still a lowbie or that I am a templar but there seems to be quite a long cooldown for my attacks, I have my two primary attacks with one leading into a combo which I use, and i have probably 4 or 5 seconds of just auto-attack time between cd's. Also someone needs to stop with the fucking mobs running away when they're low on health. I only have one stun which is an on proc one with a rather long cd so its really annoying trying to beat on a guy hoping that he dies before his two friends get in range.

Probably should have posted this before but I just remembered it now.

Aion uses the cryengine, even with my old computer (running on about 4-5 years old now) with the graphics turned down, the only lag I have experienced is only when I get teleported into a new area, about 4-5 seconds of just holy-shit-im-goona-choke-on-all-this-shit-to-load time. The music is on par, if not better then, FF11's. It actually sets atmosphere instead of just feeling like background noise; nicely transferring between combat (weapon drawn) music and (for lack of a better word) out of combat music.

Okay, so I'm going to try to get over my whiny bullshit and at least try the game. I'm normally not the kind of a-hole who judges something on art alone, so I'm gonna DL this and give it a shot tonight. If I'm going to hate on it, I should at least be educated. ;)

I'm waiting for the US fileplanet beta, I got my Key and im pre-loading now, should be open in a few days.

I played for a little while earlier today and heres what I've gathered from it so far:

Crafting: Those familiar with FF11's crafting (although I'm sure its true of a LOT of mmo's but 11's the only one I personally have to go from) you can level all the crafts, but can only take one to its maximum level, which I believe is something like 475 and the other 350 or something. Gathering raw materials has no limits as far as I know, I've been able to get everything from plants to ore to fish, each one has its own personal skill level as well.

Which comes to how crafting and gathering works in Aion, its pretty much a battle between the pass and fail bars; you right click and hope the pass one wins. I don't know why its so fun to watch but there's something about your character getting excited, cheering and fist pumping whenever they succeed. But also keep in mind, if you fail, you lose (or at least have the chance of) some of your materials necessary to craft whatever you were trying to make. Warcraft did spoil me in the crafting department but again, its not really fair to compare the two games but it will invariably happen, its like comparing a minivan to a station wagon.

I guess the unique 'catch' to Aion is flying. You first get the ability at level 10 with only a total of 1 min of fly time with it gradually increasing with your level (i think its in 10 level increments but I'm not totally sure). They appear to try to make it not just some gimmick for combat but a somewhat integral part of playing the game. There's things that are up in the air that you need to harvest to make into numerous raw materials for crafting. Need some iron ore to and there's none around? take a few seconds to look up above to see if there's one of those nodes. However, playing the harvest-before-you-run-out-of-flying-time-game is a little nerve racking.

They have been quoted as saying that this was tailored more to a western audience, so the stereotypical KOREANGRINDANMMO should not apply. It probably took me 4 to 5ish to get to level 11 playing as a warrior-turned-templar-at-level-10. But the first 10 levels always go by fast.

Now my complaints: In the main city of my faction (elyon or somethinglikethat) it takes a while to really get anywhere, even with the handy little cross-city portals they have up, it can be a little overwhelming at first. It might be that I'm still a lowbie or that I am a templar but there seems to be quite a long cooldown for my attacks, I have my two primary attacks with one leading into a combo which I use, and i have probably 4 or 5 seconds of just auto-attack time between cd's. Also someone needs to stop with the fucking mobs running away when they're low on health. I only have one stun which is an on proc one with a rather long cd so its really annoying trying to beat on a guy hoping that he dies before his two friends get in range.

the game is unforgiving with cooldowns and punishes button mashers/spamers. most of the abilites have rather long cooldowns(5 secs to over minute) so its a real pain in the arse if you use the wrong ability at the wrong time.

edit: http://g4tv.com/videos/37487/GDC-09-Aion-Tower-of-Eternity-Walkthrough/

23 min inside look at AION

Yeah I believe it opens on Thursday. I'll see ya there. =P

let me know which beta server you play on, I believe it opens at 12PM PDT, so 3PM est? if I am correct, and your character name.

Mine will either be Windkun or Zhuge :)

got a lv 10 asmodian sorc named zerese on siel server

making a temp or glad durring the next beta event

edit: you might want to enter your beta code and start downloading the game early the patcher can take for freaking ever to download the 5.2gb file

yeah I already downloaded the game and have it installed :)

I'm on the Siel server out of the two you can choose, and im gonna make my char one of the clawed dudes

i'll be on siel later on my sorc im currently lvling a metro sexual warrior elyos on the other server

You mean a regular Aion character? awesome. ;)

Yeah I should be on later tonight too. My work won't DL the client. I'm assuming it breaks at the firewall. =(

can't really say right now not having expierenced the pvp or truly getting my to the meat of my class.From what i heard most classes do not really get their class defining skill until the late 20a. What i will say is the game looks and performs great with all settings set on high i get aound 60-120 fps pve is also chalenging definetly no pulling 10 or so mobs then loling as you beat them down

my glad at lv 19

Aion0017.jpg

Aion0019.jpg

Yeah it's a bit early for me to tell as well. I only made it to 8 so far since my girlfriend was over this weekend. So it's still way to early to put together any real opinion. I really like the non-human NPC art tho.

I do like how the armor looks in this game, it follows warhammer in that it actually feels and looks like it is there instead of painted on the character. It is kind of a throwback to FF11 for me in that I can't chain pull a million mobs with little or no downtime, so it did take a little getting used to.