Accelerated Evolution

Starting D&D Campaign

Alright, so among a couple friends I'm staring a campaign. I will have more questions as I go a long but here are a few.

I just made up the summary of the campaign, I'm starting it up a little light so I will have room to build upon it as it goes a long since it will be a learning experience for me.

My question is of a group of about 3-4 players in the campaign (more if any people from CT read this and want to potentially join up) how many monsters will that group be able to take care of on a CR of about 1/2 or 1. You know with out it being really impossible.

Also what are the most important rules I should familiarize myself with as good as possible beforehand so I rarely ever have to check back in the rule book.

This will be my first time DMing or playing, though I was a little bit familiar with the rules and setting up campaigns since I'm a nerd and have read a lot. Thanks for the help guys.

You need a Player's Handbook to fully play. I'd also suggest you check out the d20 SRD. It's most of the information from the 3.5 core books and Expanded Psionics Handbook, for free, and easy to access.

Anyway, you should be familiar with the combat rules, of course, both the basics, and at least have an idea of more complex stuff like grappling. Basically, just read through the combat section of the PHB. Also, read through the skills section of the PHB to get an idea of how those work. Also, make sure you understand the classes your player's are playing, and how to play your monsters to their best effect.

Also, here's an encounter calculator. That'll help you out. A challenging encounter should use up about 20% of a party's daily resources. So like 3 to 5 encounters a day. At 1st level, they won't have as much endurance, but it improves over time.

Don't worry about making mistakes. It happens.

You need a Player's Handbook to fully play. I'd also suggest you check out the d20 SRD. It's most of the information from the 3.5 core books and Expanded Psionics Handbook, for free, and easy to access.

Anyway, you should be familiar with the combat rules, of course, both the basics, and at least have an idea of more complex stuff like grappling. Basically, just read through the combat section of the PHB. Also, read through the skills section of the PHB to get an idea of how those work. Also, make sure you understand the classes your player's are playing, and how to play your monsters to their best effect.

Also, here's an encounter calculator. That'll help you out. A challenging encounter should use up about 20% of a party's daily resources. So like 3 to 5 encounters a day. At 1st level, they won't have as much endurance, but it improves over time.

Don't worry about making mistakes. It happens.

I already have the Players handbook.

Thanks for the tips and the link though it all looks very helpful, I'll get started on all of this.