Accelerated Evolution

Japanator's Top 50 Anime of the Decade

J-Stop

Towards the end of the year every website and blog out there has to do an obligatory ".. of the year!" article but Japanator strayed away just a little this year and instead created a list of the fifty best series from the past ten years.

Links can be found here, #50 - #41, #40 - #31, #30 - #21, #20 - #11, #10 - #1.

So whats everyone's take on this? All three, maybe four of you who actually come to this section.

And for all of you tl;dr bastards,

50. Cromartie High School

49. Ah! My Goddess

48. Spice and Wolf

47. Big Windup

46. Baccano

45. Clannad

44. Naruto

43. Death Note

42. Mushishi

41. Black Lagoon

40. The Girl Who Lept Through Time

39. Bakemonogatari

38. Darker Than Black

37. Gundam SEED

36. RahXephon

35. Romeo x Juliet

34. Ouran High School Host Club

33. Kannagi

32. Moyashimon

31. Speed Grapher

30. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

29. Love Hina

28. Metropolis

27. Xam'd: Lost Memories

26. Monster

25. Dennou Coil

24. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

23. Rebuild of Evangelion

22. Eden of the East

21. Code Geass

20. Lucky Star

19. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

18. Fullmetal Alchemist

17. Toradora

16. Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei

15. School Rumble

14. Gunslinger Girl

13. Kimi ni Todke

12. Nodame Cantabile

11. Genshiken

10. Honey and Clover

9. The works of Satoshi Kon (Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent, Paprika)

8. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

7. The works of Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Monoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo)

6. Macross Frontier

5. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

4. Gurren Lagann

3. The works of Makoto Shinkai (Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in our Early Days, 5 Centimeters per Second)

2. Azumanga Daioh

1. K-On! FLCL

It's a decent list. I would disagree with the placement of some shows (Death Note probably should have been a bit higher), thier are several things that really bug me about the thing as a whole. For one it seems to have gone for shows based on popularity over actual substance. It left or enty of shows and movies that were not really popular but overall excellent productions (princess tutu, mind game, etc). Also, one of the shows on the list hasn't even finished airing. How can you judge a show you've only seen half of?

I mostly agree with the top thirty or so. Kimi ni Todoke shouldn't be on there, even if it is an amazing show, because it hasn't finished. The Girl Who Lept Through Time should be much higher. Love Hina should be much lower. Both Ouran and Death Note should be bumped at least ten places each. I don't think Kannagi should be on the list at all.

In the end I think less credibility should be given to the rankings and this list should just be used as a recommendation of some great shows. It's just so hard to compare some of these titles. How can you directly compare a masterpiece like 5 Centimeters per Second with something like Lucky Star? Both are excellent but I can't think of any similar characteristics they share other than both being animated in Japan. But that's the nature of these lists.

It's also clear that this list was created with multiple factors in mind. If it was just quality than Miyazaki, Kon, and Shinkai would be 1, 2, and 3 respectively. The high ranking of shows like Love Hina mean they must have considered Popularity and influence as well.

44. Naruto

43. Death Note

37. Gundam SEED

20. Lucky Star

5. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

1.FLCL

Wat?

Yeah, okay. If I had to do up a list for worst anime of the decade 1,5,20, and 37 would all be well placed. Hell, Gundam SEED would probably top the list. Naruto and Death Note are just really, really middle of the road. Fun for what they are, but...