Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
eleet

Server tom foolery

I requested that GoDaddy move us to a new server with SSH access on Monday afternoon, because I was sick of not having SSH access and the server load averages were too high, resulting in a slow AE.

They copied our databases over to a new server but we were still posting on the old server for about... maybe 20 hours? Anyhow, the move is now complete and we're settled in on the new server. The old server is long gone.

Unfortunately, the new server had a load average of between like 40 and 75 today. I have no idea why. For those who know Linux, this number shouldn't really go above 1. The older server was at about 7 load on average and I thought that was bad.

New server's load is down to about 5 for now. If the new server's load doesn't stay at about 4 or lower over the next few days, and continues to spike to like 75, we'll either move to their grid hosting or to yet another server.

If none of that stuff works, GoDaddy simply sucks cock, and we need a new hosting provider.

Currently, GPZ hosts AE out of kindness on his GoDaddy account alongside his 9 other domains, and renews our domain every year. This is unfortunately the best we can do, unless anyone has a dedicated box in a data center that they don't mind letting us leech off of.

Sorry for the downtime, slow page loads, and loss of about 20 hours worth of posts.

-Elite

some PMs seems to have been lost too. i have a few notifications of new PMs via email, but my box has no record of them even though my inbox is not full. but no biggy.

anyway,

Thank you for dealing with all this crap for us!

Let me know how much traffic we pull and how much server we actually use. I might be able to get us space and bandwidth on a couple of different servers. A few of which I partly pay for and have dedicated access to. Or at least back-up our database someplace if you guys want.

As far as having a load average of 40 WTF was the server doing? 0.o

Ohh and thank you for dealing with our backend. just let me know if you need help. I do this for a living now. :p

We're at 120 load and climbing right now. Site can only serve up text.

Baltar, space on one of those dedicated boxes would be wonderful. AE currently uses about 1GB of disk space, and another 500MB or so for MySQL. We probably do about 30GB of transfer a month, but it could be as low as 15GB. I don't know for certain as GoDaddy's stats suck.

So does their hosting.

We're at 120 load and climbing right now. Site can only serve up text.

Baltar, space on one of those dedicated boxes would be wonderful. AE currently uses about 1GB of disk space, and another 500MB or so for MySQL. We probably do about 30GB of transfer a month, but it could be as low as 15GB. I don't know for certain as GoDaddy's stats suck.

So does their hosting.

I will talk to the other people on some of my boxes because this while not a lot of load, will be the most I think.

GoDaddy actually did the impossible and redeemed themselves!!!!

I moved AE off their Linux Shared Hosting (which is just 1 Linux box), to their Linux Grid Hosting (which is a Linux cluster environment, completely scalable, comprised of many Linux boxes).

We've got 8 CPU cores and 48GB of RAM now, and that can scale to even more CPUs and even more RAM. Server load is 0.11 (yes, that's a decimal).

Site is absolutely hauling complete and total ass now. I've never seen it this fast, ever.

48GB of RAM. I checked it 3 times. I thought it was 4.8. We literally have almost 50GB of RAM. And 8 cores!!!!!!!

48GB of RAM. I checked it 3 times. I thought it was 4.8. We literally have almost 50GB of RAM. And 8 cores!!!!!!!

I'm sure that will get paired down, but good to know we have the entire blade at our disposal right now pretty much. lol

I also require a screenshot because my sys-admin friends won't believe this otherwise.

I'm sure that will get paired down, but good to know we have the entire blade at our disposal right now pretty much. lol

I also require a screenshot because my sys-admin friends won't believe this otherwise.

all the other sys admins will be sooo jealous of you for being on such a nice board!

all the other sys admins will be sooo jealous of you for being on such a nice board!

we will now be known as ClassAE. (or ClAssE)

I second this, and go to AN and make a posting stating if anyone is banned they should hop on over to Anti-AN

LOL keep the war alive! Never forget what those fuckers did to us!

What exactly did those fuckers do to us? I forgot the whole reason AE was founded...

What exactly did those fuckers do to us? I forgot the whole reason AE was founded...

authoritarianism... mostly.

there were members there who were banned, repeatedly warned, and yet a few months later became mods when they had no right to be.

bans became much more excessive and for petty stuff. starting a debate meant both of you would be banned, even if it wasn't a flame war or came to insults. even if you were sarcastic, if the mod didn't see it as such, you were banned.

there's a lot more to it then that, but that's it in a nutshell. AE is lot more tolerable towards free speech, we are a lot more free here than you'd find on any other standard form.

(my total opinion hidden in spoiler text as to not be taken as flamebait)

that's why i love this place. i may disagree a lot with some people, or think someone is a asshole for posting something, but i respect the fact that we are free enough here to say it without being banned on the spot.

i don't think changing the name back to Anti-AE would do much though. the forums seem extremely intimidating to a newcomer when most of us are on a first name basis.

Awful logo is awful. Not to be a hater, but why supply it? Especially in .psd when the majority (I assume) don't have photoshoop.

I can dig the new theme though. Nice to see something other than variations of blue and light green for a change.