Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
The Lone Magician

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

First of all, I will say two things:

1.) It's not the game I wanted it to be

2.) It's fun

That said, I have a few complaints about the game. These may be major or minor for you, but I felt like I'd at least tell people what I thought, in case anybody is interested in buying it. Let's get started.

Controls

The controls were what got me right away. When I bought the game, I expected it to be a prettier Sonic 3, or comparable game. Unfortunately, from my experience, Sonic 3 has smoother controls. Sonic can't really jump as well as I'd like, and sometimes I can't jump as accurately as I used to. I felt like that when I tried playing Sonic Advance a few years ago, so maybe it's influenced Sonic 4, or maybe I'm insane. Either way, the controls kind of bug me. However, as I played more of the game, they got a lot easier to handle. They're not really unintuitive or hard to get used to, they just felt a little sticky. Maybe it's just me.

Music

The music in this game seemed a bit phoned in, honestly. Half the time it sounded like I was playing Mario Party, and it doesn't really seem to have the kick to it that other games in the series (non-terrible games, I mean) do. Most of the time, I felt bored listening to the music in the game, and for both the fourth and last level's boss fights, I ended up just listening to that Push It To The Limit song from Scarface until I got sick of hearing it.

Level Design

The game has fairly well designed levels, with a few exceptions. All of these exceptions are in Lost Labyrinth. First of all, they added puzzles. To Sonic. I'm not against puzzles in games, but it doesn't seem fitting of a Sonic game. That's just a personal gripe, though. There is one glaringly flaw I find in the level, though. The boss is a puzzle boss. I won't spoil it for anybody, but when you combine the mechanics and physics of fighting the boss and mix in the controls,, you find this find largely annoying. It's the only boss in the game I can't consistently crush in 20 second, not including the final boss. I'd like to think I'm good at Sonic, so that's saying something, coming from me.

The chaos emerald stages are similar to Sonic 1, by the way.

Graphics

The graphics in the game are wonderful. They're beautiful.

I'm sure some of you will have differing opinions on the game, but I did enjoy playing it. I would recommend picking it up, but if you aren't a huge Sonic fan, maybe wait until the price drops.

It's not just you, Sonic controls tighter. He doesn't flail all over the place if you jump too high and let go of the button.

You can either get used to the new tighter physics, or go on an insane eleven minute rant about it on Youtube. This guy did one of those things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-1cGzPn3E

It's not just you, Sonic controls tighter. He doesn't flail all over the place if you jump too high and let go of the button.

You can either get used to the new tighter physics, or go on an insane eleven minute rant about it on Youtube. This guy did one of those things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-1cGzPn3E

One of the odder things was that Sonic seemed a bit slower than I expected. Irony.

Controls - yeah, they're kind of wonky, but I got used to it. Sonic takes way too long to get up to speed, The double jump auto target is a good idea, but it got me killed a zillion times at first before I got used to it. Sometimes it still doesn't work quite right. I wish they had left jump alone, and moved auto target to a different button.

Music - I like the music

Level Design - I like the level design. It's fun playing the levels over and over, trying to find the best path. Yeah, screw the puzzles. Luckily, there are only a few of them.

Graphics - Good, but it seems like Sega still hasn't figured out what anti-aliasing is.

Overall, I really like it, but I think it's a tad too short even for $15. For Sega though, I'd gladly pay a little too much to reward them for finally doing something well. I hope this doing it right carries over into PSO2.

Actually that video does make the game physics look pretty shitty.

Going off the demo, I can definitely say that the sense of speed is lost somewhat. That's because the 360, PS3, and Wii don't have BLAST PROCESSING!!!

they nerfed the spin :(

I am happy to see the mantis assholes from metropolis zone still suck the dick

I didn't realize (until watching the video) why sonic felt so slow. Watching that guy's (nerdiest ever) complaints, it seems like they turned up the friction to 11. I guess the biggest problem people had with classic sonic was that he was too squirrelly. Oh well, can't please everyone, lol.

To be fair I actually like the controls in sonic 4. Being that I can actually control him. Feels a lot like a sonic 1, which is the one I like.

To be fair I actually like the controls in sonic 4. Being that I can actually control him. Feels a lot like a sonic 1, which is the one I like.

I do dislike that sonic unrolls when coming off a hill, I landed on a good number of enemies that way in the demo, and the controls feel like I'm running against a wind.

I will agree, though, that I can't fault a game for having controls that are 'too good.'