Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
winterlong

How Awesome Is This

Victoria's 2nd, but Vancouver isn't on there? Having been to both cities, I'd think the opposite would be true. Victoria looked like it was a place to have a tea party, and Vancouver, well, the downtown area is nice but East Hastings is way gangsterer than anywhere in Seattle.

I've also never heard any of the AE crew from PG complain about crime that much? Dang. It's intense to find out that your home city is "dangerous." I remember this one time in high school I was just waiting for the bus where I always did and I saw a crack deal go bad, leading to some guy getting shot (only like twice! and it was across the street!). Since everyone ran away immediately afterwards I didn't feel in any kind of threat, but when the police showed up they were like "holy shit we gotta save this white kid," and went over and told me "don't you know this intersection has more crime than anywhere else in Seattle?" and I was like "sure but I've been catching the bus here every day since I was 14 and nothing's ever happened to me before...

I went to an In-n-Out in Compton last time I was in California. It was nice. :mario:

Yeah, Victoria surprises me.  I've never felt unsafe there because it's a small university city mainly, speckled with some seniors and lesbians.  I feel completely uncomfortable in Vancouver all the time.  I'm used to homeless people, but that city make me so sad and frightened.

Honestly, I don't always feel at risk in Prince George.  I know that awful things happen that you hear about, but it really is mostly between the gangs.  We have a huge issue with them.  The neighborhood I used to live in had a gang house across the street from me.  Generally, if you ignore them and don't stir shit up, you won't have an issue.  They want to lay low, too.  Or bake them cookies like my friend's mom did.  They were pretty much security guards for her and my friend after that.

When I walk downtown I don't feel uneasy often also because of where I work.  The public library is right downtown, and it's completely open to the public.  I've gotten to know so many street people over the past 5 years.  I know that on a daily basis I talk to some dangerous people, but once you establish the relationship where they know that you know who they are and what they have done, there's no way they can pull shit.  We have a cop who comes in every day and briefs us on the released criminals that frequent the library.  Most of them are pretty friendly and carry on their way.  One time, a new guy was in town and he pulled a giant knife on me at work.  That was terrifying.  Didn't like that.  And another guy attempted to sexually assault me in the stacks.  That wasn't cool either.

Yeah, Victoria surprises me.  I've never felt unsafe there because it's a small university city mainly, speckled with some seniors and lesbians.  I feel completely uncomfortable in Vancouver all the time.  I'm used to homeless people, but that city make me so sad and frightened.

Honestly, I don't always feel at risk in Prince George.  I know that awful things happen that you hear about, but it really is mostly between the gangs.  We have a huge issue with them.  The neighborhood I used to live in had a gang house across the street from me.  Generally, if you ignore them and don't stir shit up, you won't have an issue.  They want to lay low, too.  Or bake them cookies like my friend's mom did.  They were pretty much security guards for her and my friend after that.

When I walk downtown I don't feel uneasy often also because of where I work.  The public library is right downtown, and it's completely open to the public.  I've gotten to know so many street people over the past 5 years.  I know that on a daily basis I talk to some dangerous people, but once you establish the relationship where they know that you know who they are and what they have done, there's no way they can pull shit.  We have a cop who comes in every day and briefs us on the released criminals that frequent the library.  Most of them are pretty friendly and carry on their way.  One time, a new guy was in town and he pulled a giant knife on me at work.  That was terrifying.  Didn't like that.  And another guy attempted to sexually assault me in the stacks.  That wasn't cool either.

Yeah. I work with a lot of homeless and formerly homeless people, most of whom have some kind of extenuating issues like chemical dependency or mental illness. I've never felt that my person was in danger, but that doesn't happen to tall dudes like myself very much anyway.

as the old adage goes... at least its not flint

My little broski lived in Flint for two years...

The park across the street from the Frat House he lived in was a frequent site of violence. He described regularly waking to shots and once having to listen to some poor kid get his head beat in with a bat.

The place I rented in the summer had some interesting street life.  I heard awful sounds and gunshots right outside my house one night.  I was soo scared to move because I thought someone was going to break through my window at any moment.