Accelerated Evolution

Ikari's fitness progress thread

Okay, at the advice of several members in the skype chat, i'm starting a fitness thread. Each day I post, I will be recording what I've done for exercise, and what I've consumed. I will try to post at least once a day, and post as accurately as I can. I'll record calories if possible. If I buy a scale, I'll record my weight, more for tracking purposes than for actual weight loss. My plan is to tone and then build some muscle, and get rid of my damn spare tire...I'm tired of wearing 42's at the age of 27...I use to fit into 38s when I was a freshman in college (2002), so I have over 8 years of damage to undo.

Advice will be considered, but not necessarily followed. If I don't follow advice, it's likely because I'm trying to simplify this. If I overcomplicate this, it won't be fun and I'll fail. I'm trying to make this a routine, as dieting arbitrarily will only result in yo-yo weightloss.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1: October 19, 2010

Intake:

Breakfast:

2 large eggs

2 hashbrown patties

2 slices italian bread

10oz coffee w/sweetened creamer, no additional sugar

Lunch:

1/2 Chicken Sandwich

1/2 serving of fries

Pickle

Coleslaw

water

Dinner:

1 Tilapia Filet

Steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, orange carrots, yellow carrots)

Sweet Potato Fries

Exercise:

3 sets, 20 reps 20 LB curls

3 sets, 10 reps 15 LB flies (sitting)

Day 2: October 20, 2010

Intake

Breakfast:

1 breakfast hotpocket-like thing

remnants of a partial bag of grandma Utz potato chips

Lunch:

Footlong oven roasted chicken breast from subway (lettuce, tomato, chipotle sauce)

Dinner:

Regular-sized bowl from Ricky's Rice Bowl (White rice, carrots, broccoli, steak, peanut sauce)

Exercise:

3 sets, 20 reps 20 LB curls

3 sets, 20 reps 15 LB flies (sitting)

Day 3: October 21, 2010

Intake:

Breakfast:

1 Yogurt

1 Granola Bar

5oz strong coffee

Snack: Granola bar

Lunch: 1/2 hamburger and tater tots left over from Monday's dinner, 20 oz mtn dew

Snack Granola bar

Dinner:

3/5 serving of chili mac from Hard Times Cafe, water

Dessert: Banana

Excercise: Rest

the one tip that you should abide to is STOP eating anything 3 hours before you sleep. anytime you eat something before sleeping, it gets stored as fat. also, kick out soda and energy drinks if you're drinking them. coffee isn't bad for you, as long as you're not drinking it with more than two teaspoons of sugar. soda on the otherhand has a ridiculous amount of sugar in one can. energy drinks are the same, only sometimes they have more sugar than soda. if you're going to drink soda, make it more of a special occasion, like a jack and coke to celebrate something. (like weight loss)

and some advice, if i may.

If I buy a scale, I'll record my weight, more for tracking purposes than for actual weight loss. My plan is to tone and then build some muscle, and get rid of my damn spare tire...I'm tired of wearing 42's at the age of 27...I use to fit into 38s when I was a freshman in college (2002), so I have over 8 years of damage to undo.

do this once a week, not everyday, and when you do weigh yourself do it right when you get up in the morning before eating instead of at night. weight constantly fluctuates throughout the day for everyone because of consumption. your body calms down during the night and readjusts itself from all the stuff you did today (ate/worked out). you'll get a much accurate reading right in the morning than you will at night.

and don't be discouraged when you see you've gained weight, even on weeks where you know you've ate and exercised as best as can be. muscle mass weighs much more than fat, so when you start building it, your weight is going to appear higher. ignore it. if you put any stock into the number it's just going to discourage you.

another thing to keep in mind too, once your body adjusts to the exercise you will drop weight off pretty fast since you've probably had very little in the past. the general rule is that you'll drop a good 20 pounds or more fairly fast. but after that your results are going to slow down just as fast since your body is now tuned for this stuff. don't let that discourage you either.

Create a day that you'll forget about your diet once a week. Maybe before that day you can work out extra hard and treat it as an accomplishment, award, etc.

seconded. forcing to give up things will never get you anywhere. and there will be times where life gets in the way and you will want to eat something fairly unhealthy (ie: you're not allowed out of Disneyland without eating a Monte Cristo ;)) just remember that it doesn't matter how much you steer off the path, the path will always be right there where you left of, hop back on it.

Very nice dude! Goodluck and don't push yourself too hard too early.

Create a day that you'll forget about your diet once a week. Maybe before that day you can work out extra hard and treat it as an accomplishment, award, etc.

Yeah, my girlfriend does something like that. I'll probably be doing this on Sundays and working out hard Saturday nights...this will likely change based on my work schedule, but I'll get a routine eventually.

Also here.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

Might help.

That link is very useful, thank you!

Way to be! I don't know if this will you at all, but I've got a friend who loves this site http://www.crossfit.com/ Seems a bit convoluted at first, but there is a lot of good stuff.

I think you've got the right approach of taking it slow instead of trying to dive into everything at once. Often times that ends up just making things feel more like a chore than they should be.

Way to be! I don't know if this will you at all, but I've got a friend who loves this site http://www.crossfit.com/ Seems a bit convoluted at first, but there is a lot of good stuff.

Yeah, a little too complicated for what I need at the moment, but maybe I'll come back to it, thanks!

I think you've got the right approach of taking it slow instead of trying to dive into everything at once. Often times that ends up just making things feel more like a chore than they should be.

The way I look at it is this: when I was a kid, I knew what to eat because it was provided to me. I never "learned" what to eat, I just ate what I was given or what I liked. Now that I'm an adult, I have the basics down, but I find myself enjoying more lethargic activities, and of course, my metabolism is dramatically different than when I was 12.

If I make exercise fun and simple, I will want to do it. I actually wanted to lift yesterday, but a couple people recommended I lift every other day, so I took the day off. I figure I do my best to make it fun, and the weight loss will simply be a bonus. My kind of fun is simple fun (read: Dynasty Warriors fan), so if I can make a simple fun activity out of this, then I'll be golden.

The simpler the better. If you have advice, instruct me like a child (i.e. gummy's link was simple with animated pictures). I'll be more likely to try it if you follow the KISS rule.

coffee isn't bad for you

someone's biased :P

someone's biased :P

http://www.coffeedetective.com/coffee-benefits.html

http://www.positivelycoffee.org//topic_cancer_statement.aspx

http://www.positivelycoffee.org/topic_liver_statement.aspx

http://www.positivelycoffee.org/topic_exercise_statement.aspx

http://www.positivelycoffee.org//topic_parkinsons_statement.aspx

it's the sugar that will kill you. ;)

Day 5: October 23, 2010

Breakfast: Yogurt, Apple

Snack: Banana

Lunch: 1/2 subway sub, salt & vinegar chips

Snack: Granola Bar (x2, 1 hour apart)

Snack2: Remaining Chili Mac and chips

Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable stir fry w/long grain rice and kung pao sauce.

Exercise:

10 sets, 10 reps, 15 lb curls

10 sets, 10 reps, 5 lb flies (lying down)

[if] you go vegan for a few months...your weight [will] drop dramatically.

Thank you for the advice. Your point is valid, but I'm definitely not ready to take that step yet. I enjoy me my hamburgers (a little too much), and am currently focusing on portion control before an out-and-out change in intake.

Thanks again for your input, I definitely appreciate it! And since this is my thread, my posts are the only ones that matter, lol

i don't have a problem with anyone going vegan, but for purely dietary reasons/loosing weight, it's not the best. the reason why weight will come off extremely fast by going all vegan is because your body is cut off from a large amount of protein, in other words, you're loosing fat, but more of it is muscle mass. people who go vegan just for dieting tends to not work out most of the time because they don't want to maintain that lifestyle.

after they lose the weight they go back to eating meat, and their body gains the weight back fast because of all the protein coming back.

power/weightlifting isn't impossible without protein, but it makes the process much more easier and faster for your body. protein helps repair muscle, and when you're weightlighting all you're doing is tearing muscle. for an overweight person who wants to lose weight, gaining muscle mass is very important. muscles burn 50% more fat, which helps the weight come off so much easier and faster.

also, i noticed you aren't doing pushups, Ikari. you might want to consider adding a few each week. even if it's only 5 every three days, it will help your back. if you aren't strong enough to do them, cross your legs and bend your knees to hit the floor, then lift with your arms. it will be much, much easier to do them this way until you can do them without support from your knees.

Updated Day 5: October 23, 2010

Breakfast: Yogurt, Apple

Snack: Banana

Lunch: 1/2 subway sub, salt & vinegar chips

Snack: Granola Bar (x2, 1 hour apart), Banana

Snack2: Remaining Chili Mac and chips

Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable stir fry w/long grain rice and kung pao sauce.

Exercise:

50 Bicycles

50 jumping jacks

10 sets, 10 reps, 15 lb curls

10 sets, 10 reps, 5 lb flies (lying down)

also, i noticed you aren't doing pushups, Ikari. you might want to consider adding a few each week. even if it's only 5 every three days, it will help your back. if you aren't strong enough to do them, cross your legs and bend your knees to hit the floor, then lift with your arms. it will be much, much easier to do them this way until you can do them without support from your knees.

yeah, I haven't done any pushups because I hate them. I feel like such a wimp when I attempt them, but I think I have time to add them in. I will attempt tonight or tuesday. Today is mostly a day of rest. No lifting, but maybe some bicycles and jumping jacks to balance my meals.

Day 6:

Breakfast: Bowl of Honey bunches of Oats w/ 1% milk

Lunch: 1/2 chipotle burrito with Smartfood cheddar popcorn

Snacks: 1/2 carmel apple, 8 Starbursts, a handful of doritos

Dinner: 1/2 chioptle burrito

Dessert: Bowl of Honey bunches of Oats w/ 1% milk

Exercise: Rest

Day 7:

Breakfast: Duncan Donut with chocolate icing & sprinkles, Coffee

Snack: Crasins

Lunch: Home-made chicken kung pao stir fry and long grain rice

Snack: Granola bar (x2, 1 hour apart)

Early dinner: remaining kung pao stir fry and long grain rice.

Dinner-dinner: Quiznos chili and roast beef & bacon bullet

Exercise: Rest

Day 8

Breakfast: 2 Hashbrowns, 2 Eggs, 2 cup coffee w/ sweetened creamer

Lunch: Chicken & Bacon sandwich with fries & sprite

Snack: Pumpkin seeds and a banana

Dinner: 1/2 Subway sub & a handful of salt & vinegar chips

Exercise:

15 Sets 10 Reps Curls 15 lb weights

10 Sets 10 Reps flies (laying down) 5 lb weights

50 Bicycles

50 Jumping Jacks

3 Pushups

10 Wussups (pushups with knees crossed)

20 crunches

In order, Jumping jacks, Bicylces, 5 sets curls, then 5 sets flies, then curls, then flies, then curls, then pushups, then wussups then crunches.

I think I kicked ass today.

Double post 'cuz it's my fukkin' thread

I was vegetarian for two years. maintained the same weight through college because of it. Had pretty good Blood Pressure as well, which was running high for a while before that.

Oh yeah, I bet. I'm glad that worked for you, I'm just not there yet. I enjoy my burgers and chicken too much to give 'em up just yet, if ever. Thanks for the input though! I'm open to other suggestions :)

i don't have a problem with anyone going vegan, but for purely dietary reasons/loosing weight, it's not the best. the reason why weight will come off extremely fast by going all vegan is because your body is cut off from a large amount of protein, in other words, you're loosing fat, but more of it is muscle mass. people who go vegan just for dieting tends to not work out most of the time because they don't want to maintain that lifestyle.

after they lose the weight they go back to eating meat, and their body gains the weight back fast because of all the protein coming back.

power/weightlifting isn't impossible without protein, but it makes the process much more easier and faster for your body. protein helps repair muscle, and when you're weightlighting all you're doing is tearing muscle. for an overweight person who wants to lose weight, gaining muscle mass is very important. muscles burn 50% more fat, which helps the weight come off so much easier and faster.

This is totally untrue and is one of the biggest myths about veganism.

read this.