Accelerated Evolution

Post-rock...thing I'm trying

demian

I'll keep this short.

I don't really have any technical musical background, except for playing drums for years and being in bands and listening to a ton of music.

However, I've been trying to teach myself piano and theory and guitar and whatnot in some relatively unconventional (and probably not so helpful) ways.

So, here is a song I've been working on.

I'm trying to do something post-rock-esque.

It's completely and entirely a work in progress.

And a lot of you got me into post-rock, and a lot of you are musicians, so I figured I'd ask for some criticism/advice/thoughts/whatever comes to mind.

Thanks in advance. Haha. I'm being awkward.

http://soundcloud.com/vradinolfi/write-this-down-youll-thank-me-later

The beginning of it sounds like techno or D&B, which I like. It sounds vaguely Juno Reactor, actually, not really rock-ish. The static wooshing sound that you used in the beginning gets kind of obnoxious at the end, like someone's blowing in my ear. It's good to establish the mood, but I feel takes away from the song in the long run. I like the synth at the 4-minute mark. The last minute sounded really awesome, and I kinda wish the middle three minutes sounded like that last minute, too. Maybe something to build on?

There's your critique from a listener's perspective. I hope it helps, and I'm looking forward to listening to the next iteration of this song. I think it's good now, and as it's a work in progress, I think you can make it great!

I hope that helps, and if it doesn't just ignore it, lol. What you're doing here is definitely not a bad idea.

Sounds like its made of loops, is this correct? perhaps with some minor touches on the outside.

it was a good listen, enjoyable but seemed very "I used loop software" type of feel to the song, like alot of commercials that use garageband. Just don't you go replacing me on my duty to score your HL2 mod foo. lol.

Drums are very low in the mix, the song doesn't have any punch to it in terms of sound, sounds very flat like mono, may have been the sound you were going for I don't know.

we all start somewhere! if your doing it serious or for fun or whatever thats up to you - but you have amazing photography and I think that is your true calling. we all have our artistic strong points

with that said it IS an ENJOYABLE listen.

edit: after reading I saw you said you were teaching yourself piano, does that mean you played piano on this track? It sounds very Loop-like, but it could be just how you repeated it)

double edit: whatever drum machine your using, turn up the snare and the BASS DRUM, you can hear the high-hat and cymbals fine, but you actually have to REALLY LISTEN HARD to even hear the faintest of the bass drum, and the snare having the same sound during snare rolls (that digital snare sound) gets a bit annoying. try to use varied snare patches during your fills and rolls. or even better, grab your drum kit and Mic it up and play to it.

triple edit: come to full sail with me in January and learn full music theory and get behind a mixing board. DO IT.

I had about a year of basic piano teaching, but when it came to Galexia I just learned all the scales and chords online theirs a good website that shows you scales, and practiced practiced practiced and recorded.

I hear your not dorming this year, and that your living at home - feel free to come over and use my equipment any time.

I have to work on mixing it. I've never really mixed music before so it could definitely use some tweaking. The repetitiveness is intentional, I mean it is supposed to be ambient almost so, yeah. And yeah, played piano, everything, loopless.

The beginning of it sounds like techno or D&B, which I like. It sounds vaguely Juno Reactor, actually, not really rock-ish. The static wooshing sound that you used in the beginning gets kind of obnoxious at the end, like someone's blowing in my ear. It's good to establish the mood, but I feel takes away from the song in the long run. I like the synth at the 4-minute mark. The last minute sounded really awesome, and I kinda wish the middle three minutes sounded like that last minute, too. Maybe something to build on?

There's your critique from a listener's perspective. I hope it helps, and I'm looking forward to listening to the next iteration of this song. I think it's good now, and as it's a work in progress, I think you can make it great!

I hope that helps, and if it doesn't just ignore it, lol. What you're doing here is definitely not a bad idea.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It's a big help.

Really cool stuff. Sounds a lot like M83 or 65dos, both of which are bands I haven't listened to in forever. In fact, the last couple days have been reminding me that I don't listen to enough post rock anymore. Especially because yesterday my friend was like "oh yeah I can totally get you free backstage passes to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor when they come to Seattle" and I was like :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

HOLY SHIT

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

:wub:

But that's totally unrelated...

I like the drums. Also did I fall into some kind of alternate universe where using loops wasn't okay? Anyway, I agree they should be louder. And Wind's suggestion to maybe mix up the snare sounds is a good idea. Might as well, if it's not gonna be real drums, right? I like the spacey sound effects in the back. And the cello is a good touch, you get +500 post rock points for including a cello.

Yeah. I actually love this. It's clear that you've listened to a looot of post-rock in your day to be able to deconstruct the genre so well without having previous musical training :P Keep it up! If you work on this song more, or make other songs, post 'em!

Move to WA and be the drummer for my post rock band.

vinny was just over for like 5 hours, I mixed his song my way with his audience, it sounds fuckign amazing now ask him to post it up, we went into his car (at 3:30 am) blasted the sub woofer and we were both smiling like mother fuckers. Natural high... sounds great... I am very proud of my production work and bringing to life Vinny's project. :) smiles were on both sides... wait til you guys hear the differences... its mind melting. Good thing this is my career choice, I think I have a knack for this whole producer thing ;) Can't wait to get to Full sail december 27th (already bought my apartment) and get my Recording Arts degree so I may become a full-time producer.

the rhythms really detract away from the ambient synths, it kind of muddies the musical focus.

I'd be inclined to agree with this.

While the drums sound better now, they pull too much focus away from the synth and piano, changing the way you hear the song and killing the ambiance of it. Personal opinion here, but it changed the song too much. As rock said, the musical focus of the song isn't clear anymore.

Eh, listening again this morning I realize it sounds more like I wish I was in a metal band or something. The drums are too distracting for what post-rock is supposed to be.

Rocks, what'd you think otherwise? Any advice?

I'm being trashed on for the sake of being trashed on. The drums sound awesome! they can be pulled back if you feel that way.....

wtf? no one is trashing on you man, seriously its not all about you. While the drums do sound fuller, they detract away from what post rock generally is and there for take away from the ambience. Good job on making the drums sound good, but for this song, its not what it needed. Capice?

Well I dig how it came out, all the instruments have been remixed and improved on via sound including the Static pad which had been ran through distortion, various piano's and synths are put 75% in certain right and left channels to give a wide open feel to the song. even if you guys feel its removed from being "post rock" due to the drums. It sounds unique and good.

it certainly sounds unique, it just doesn't sound post-rock anymore which is where vinny was originally going with the song. As long as he likes it that's cool, we're giving our opinions as well and I feel the original is far superior. It was very 65dos-esque which I know where vinny was going with the song, originally anyway. As long as he likes it thats cool. Of course you dig it. You mixed it.