Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
Samurai Drifter

What does it all mean?

One of my 22 roommates hung himself last night on whim.

When I get to hell I'm gonna ask him.

22 roommates? What the hell? Do you live in a 19th-century tenement apartment in NYC?

If that's the case than I can totally understand why he hung himself. Also... sorry to hear about that, RIP.

Anyway the older I get the more nihilistic I become. I take comfort in the fact that there's no grand plan or anything... it's calming to me to think that the universe just exists, for no real reason and with no hidden meaning to figure out. I got in an argument with my friend's roommate about this, who is deeply Buddhist. He basically told me I was too cynical for my own good, but I don't really feel like that. I don't associate the universe having no meaning with negativity, which for some reason a lot of religious people do, which I've never understood.

But basically I think there's no greater truth or whatever. Just have a good time in this life and be nice to the people around you.

22 roommates? What the hell? Do you live in a 19th-century tenement apartment in NYC?

If that's the case than I can totally understand why he hung himself. Also... sorry to hear about that, RIP.

Its a pretty large Co-op house (and actually maximum occupancy is something just shy of 40 I believe.). We share house duties throughout the week, cook meals together, govern ourselves and generally have a good time, Saturday night was a rockin' high class, two-piece suit themed party; Sunday morning was like something out of a nightmare.

Anyway the older I get the more nihilistic I become. I take comfort in the fact that there's no grand plan or anything... it's calming to me to think that the universe just exists, for no real reason and with no hidden meaning to figure out. I got in an argument with my friend's roommate about this, who is deeply Buddhist. He basically told me I was too cynical for my own good, but I don't really feel like that. I don't associate the universe having no meaning with negativity, which for some reason a lot of religious people do, which I've never understood.

But basically I think there's no greater truth or whatever. Just have a good time in this life and be nice to the people around you.

I've pretty much been echoing this sentiment for the past 60 hours, There is no sense to be made of anything and I'm trying to be okay with that.

Well, if the Universe has no meaning, then the fact that it's meaningless is also meaningless. Nihilism sorta negates itself. We just... like... are, dude. Y'know? :buki:

Some people say the present is all that exists. Everything is transient, everything is always coming and going. Moments are always dying, and new moments are always happening. Why focus on the dying? They are two sides of the same coin. Like the boat-car guy said in Waking Life, "the idea is to maintain a state of constant departure, while always arriving. Cuts down on hellos and goodbyes."

The search for transcendental meaning is pretty destructive in a lot of ways. Look at religions. Once you become convinced you know the ultimate answer, you base all your happiness and security on it, and then get threatened when people argue against or even just disagree with it. It's a huge source of conflict.

Also, sorry to hear about your roomate, Belial. :sad:

Sounds like a half-way house to me.

You guys are crazy.

But I have a strange comfort on these forums.

A comfort with total strangers.

Maybe I'm the crazy one.