Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
TeleportSandwich

Doctor Who thread

Since season 6 of the new show is currently airing; lets have ourselves a Doctor Who thread to discuss it in.

Anyway I thought that the latest episode, The Rebel Flesh, was pretty good. It wasn't as good as The Doctor's Wife but it was better then Curse of the Black Spot. Also I couldn't help feeling like

the clone of The Doctor that appeared at the end of the episode could be used as a way of resolving the whole Doctor Dies plot line for this season (though I doubt it)

I really have not been digging this season of Who. Breaks my heart a little bit. It felt like there were so many missed opportunities in the first two episodes, especially with the whole cut to 3 months later. But between the constant reminders that the Doctor dies and Schrodinger's zygote I'm getting pretty annoyed with them shoving Bad Wolves down our throat. And really how can the Doctor not at least know who sent out those cards? 11 was built up to be pretty observent in season 5 and now he doesn't even have a clue?

Not that I'm ever going to stop watching the show though. The Doctor's wife had a lot (and I really mean a lot) or really good stuff in it. But the fact that House only existed as a plot device really bugged me. Random bubble universe, random sentient entity. I think both could have benefited from more Time Lord lore/exposition. As far as the Rebel Flesh goes I thought it was extremely meh. Not a whole lot happened besides 'gangers and the predictable Doctor ganger. Hopefully things get interesting in the second part.

And really how can the Doctor not at least know who sent out those cards? 11 was built up to be pretty observent in season 5 and now he doesn't even have a clue?

Maybe he does know and is just playing along as part of a much larger plot?

Really digging the new season, I am very interested in the River Song arc. Maybe River song could be an incarnation of the Tardis? Idk, other people believe she may be the daughter of Amy Pond. Pond = River ?

We know that River is the only person to know the Doctors real name and as the Doctor said "there is only one reason" that he would ever tell someone it. Who knows what that may be. I've been rewatching old episodes and theory crafting as to what it may be.

I also enjoyed "The Doctors Wife", lots of nods to the old doctor, such as the Androids of Tara, some of the old consoles such as 9 and 10; though I was disappointed to not see any older doctors consoles.

Gaimans episode was probably one of my favorites. Some people in England seem to be getting angry that Doctor Who is becoming less of a family show with much scarier plots and scenery, but I love it.

What are your predictions on the Song arc?

She kills "the best man I've ever known" which strongly indicates that she kills the Doctor. Who knows, maybe it was her in the space suit. I liked the idea of River a lot better when she was simply out of sync with the Doctor's time line, instead of them simply meeting in reverse. It was great when she realized that would be her last kiss to the Doctor, and pretty fantastic acting on River's part.

Oh and the console of the TARDIS that he makes is incredibly similar to oldConsole.JPG I don't know which Doctor used it, but I do know I've seen it in older episodes.

I think BBC America is also going to delay another week for whatever reason. Not that it affects me in the least.

The last episode the almost people is alright. THe ending was pretty bat shit insane, and if you look up the trailer for the next episode (it wasnt played after the show for some reason) even Curt will think it will redeem this season.

Yeah, shit got real in the last five minutes. The tie in to the 'gangers was actually pretty cool, and placed a lot of things in motion (even if you could see it a mile away, I still kinda liked it). Only thing bothering me is that Rory was a bit of a shithead for really no good reason.

The next episode however looks pretty fucking awesome. I hope we get a genuine moment with River's reveal though and not some passing comment only to be ret-conned later. The 3 month break after this episode is going to be rough. Really had higher hopes for this season, and expected a lot more out of it for a split season. I don't think the next episode can redeem this first half of the season. I only hope it's a tasty set up to the rest.

Yeah, shit got real in the last five minutes. The tie in to the 'gangers was actually pretty cool, and placed a lot of things in motion (even if you could see it a mile away, I still kinda liked it). Only thing bothering me is that Rory was a bit of a shithead for really no good reason.

The next episode however looks pretty fucking awesome. I hope we get a genuine moment with River's reveal though and not some passing comment only to be ret-conned later. The 3 month break after this episode is going to be rough. Really had higher hopes for this season, and expected a lot more out of it for a split season. I don't think the next episode can redeem this first half of the season. I only hope it's a tasty set up to the rest.

I agree, Rory was a complete moron in that episode. This season feels to me like Tennants season 2, just mediocre with extreme highs and lows. But I am hoping the 2nd half picks up as I don't think the first was great.

I'm also pretty sure that this River Song arc may have been blown out of proportion. How awesome can it possibly me to run this length of time? Do you think they will make it be the beginning of a new Doctor regeneration?

I assume Matt Smith has at least another season in him. But River seems like it's going to be a total coin flip that will either finally make her feel like a character, or just be a huge disappointment that makes everyone rage. I'm leaning towards the latter.

So maybe I am a bit thick but what the fuck happened at the end of The Almost People? They've been traveling with an Amy 'ganger since before these last two episodes and The Doctor knew about it? When did the switch occur?

I was going to say it was probably when the Silence had Amy in their TARDIS like lair, but after quickly forwarding through the episode Amy see's the eye-patch lady before she disappears. So then it was either before the season started or, more likely, when the show had the 3 month jump of everyone running around with marks on their skin.

edit: The Silence are also the perfect rapist.

Its a good thing Japan doesn't fallow this show or we would be getting a shit ton of tentacle rape hentai :awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtj3z8rSq4&feature=player_embedded

So how about that mid-season finale? Kind of saw ending coming but the rest was pretty badass. Also kind of wondering about the crib the Doctor had. Does this mean he had cared for the baby long before he ever knew Rory or Amy? Wibbly wobbly timey indeed.

So how about that mid-season finale? Kind of saw ending coming but the rest was pretty badass. Also kind of wondering about the crib the Doctor had. Does this mean he had cared for the baby long before he ever knew Rory or Amy? Wibbly wobbly timey indeed.

Me and Scott actually guessed the River Song part before Amy was actually pregnant, it was one of many theories though...

I really enjoyed the mid season finale, wish theyt showed preview to 2nd half...

Is it too obvious that River is the girl in the astronaut suit? It probably has to be, not sure though. The crib part is really weird, I guess it could have been for river... Also knowing who River is means nothing, we still have to find out why the Doctor falls in love with her allegedly, or so it seems. Why does she know his name?

Saw a comment last year about River being Amy's kid, so I wasn't really surprised. "Pond, River, I don't think Moffat is just going to let that go as a coincidence". In the premier I thought River might be the kid when she said that the first time she met the Doctor was the most frightening day of her life, combined with the whole killing "the best man she ever knew". The episode had some very cool moments towards the end with the Doctor questioning why anyone would want to go to war with him and him being a great warrior.

But how about the next episode title? "Let's Kill Hitler"??

I read that Moffat put the Daleks on ice because "everyone's seen over 400 Dalek stories already". Sounds more like a response to fans not digging the skittles iDalek makeover. There really don't the point in rebooting the Daleks only to then just forget about them entirely.

I read that Moffat put the Daleks on ice because "everyone's seen over 400 Dalek stories already". Sounds more like a response to fans not digging the skittles iDalek makeover. There really don't the point in rebooting the Daleks only to then just forget about them entirely.

I personally want Omega from the old series to make an epic return, so much cool stuff to be done with him.

Character history of Omega from wiki: "

Omega was a stellar engineer and High Council member on Gallifrey who developed the Hand of Omega, a remote stellar manipulator which could be used to control the reactions within a star.[3] Using the Hand, Omega performed adjustments on a star near Gallifrey's in an attempt to provide a power source for the time travel experiments he conducted with Rassilon. However, Omega was thought killed in the resulting supernova, which then collapsed into a black hole.

Rassilon subsequently captured the nucleus of the black hole and used its power to perfect time travel technology, turning his people into Time Lords. Rassilon then took control of Gallifrey as Lord President. The nucleus eventually became known as the Eye of Harmony,[4] and Omega's name passed into heroic legend.[1]

Millennia later, during the events of the Doctor Who serial The Three Doctors, it was revealed that Omega had not died, but had rather been sent through the event horizon into an antimatter universe and had been trapped there since then; although he was able to shape that universe according to his will, it meant that he could not leave that universe. His exile and solitude turned him quite insane, and he sought revenge on the Time Lords for "abandoning" him. Despite the Third Doctor's assurances that he was revered among the Time Lords and still remembered fondly, Omega still sought retribution.[1] He made two attempts in the television series to re-enter the positive matter universe, in The Three Doctors where he attempted to force the Doctor to take his place in the antimatter universe so that he could depart it, and in the serial Arc of Infinity where he attempted to create a new body for himself using the Doctor's biological data.[2] Both attempts were thwarted by the Doctor, with his universe being destroyed in The Three Doctors when he was tricked into touching the Second Doctor's recorder- which had remained matter when the others were converted into antimatter-, and his new body was seemingly destroyed in Arc of Infinity before it could convert back to antimatter and destroy Earth."

Matt Smith has been confirmed for another 14 episodes (christmas special and 13 ep. season). Wouldn't be surprised if this was the end of Amy and Rory though.

Matt Smith has been confirmed for another 14 episodes (christmas special and 13 ep. season). Wouldn't be surprised if this was the end of Amy and Rory though.

I don't want to hang with the same characters for that long, Smith is fine but as much as I like amy and rory (not as much as Rose, donna or Martha) I feel like another season would be pushing it. Though I am very happy about Rory's character, I like him more and more.