Accelerated Evolution

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Siendra

So, it's out tomorrow. Receiving mostly glowing reviews with a knock here and there for some early lack luster dungeons, but it's getting a lot of praise for the later dungeons.

a few reviews have critiqued it for having inaccurate controls, that Link will occasionally do one move when you're trying to pull off another. but it might be just the reviewer not fully doing the move (see here).

i wouldn't know though, haven't played the game yet. this is probably the first wii game to be booted up in my Wii since the first Mario Galaxy, VC games aside.

a few reviews have critiqued it for having inaccurate controls, that Link will occasionally do one move when you're trying to pull off another. but it might be just the reviewer not fully doing the move (see here).

i wouldn't know though, haven't played the game yet. this is probably the first wii game to be booted up in my Wii since the first Mario Galaxy, VC games aside.

Yeah I keep reading in some how the controls are spot on, but in a couple other reviews they bash the controls saying they're inaccurate. Seems like something that you have to play for yourself. Who knows what the reviewers were doing.

Haven't even hit the first dungeon, but here's some early thoughts.

The controls take some getting used to, especially the flying. Combat and general movement are fine, but flying is just garbage.

The music is a huge step up in presentation for Nintendo. It's all really good, especially the new songs.

Normally I'm a big proponent of the whole "Zelda doesn't need a voice over" thing, but Skyward Sword has me changing my mind - there's more dialogue in the first couple hours of the game than most games in the franchise.

Haven't even hit the first dungeon, but here's some early thoughts.

The controls take some getting used to, especially the flying. Combat and general movement are fine, but flying is just garbage.

The music is a huge step up in presentation for Nintendo. It's all really good, especially the new songs.

i haven't had a problem with combat so far. the first few times when moves weren't registering right i noticed my hands weren't angled correctly. if the wiimote isn't slightly tilted to the side Link won't do a angled slash, and i kept trying to do the finish move by only tapping the nunchuk and remote lightly, like drumsticks. when i exaggerated the move by pushing both of them down further at a angle (like an actual tip of a sword) and tried to fake stab my floor, it worked just fine. i haven't had any problems with combat since figuring this out.

the first flying segment was a pain in the ass, though. i didn't know what i was doing, but somehow if you flick the remote down and up quick a few times, like a Maestro would do with a baton, the Loftwing will quickly rise up in the air and he seems much easier to control that way.

I figured out the combat controls. When you calibrate the remote by pointing at the center of that box make aure it's at the height you'll be swinging it around at. I did it the first few times in my lap and the remote wouldn't register anything but overhand atrikes. So... yeah.

Finished the first dungeon last night and so far it's good stuff.

I figured out the combat controls. When you calibrate the remote by pointing at the center of that box make aure it's at the height you'll be swinging it around at. I did it the first few times in my lap and the remote wouldn't register anything but overhand atrikes. So... yeah.

must be way i didn't have a problem with that, having the remote placed on a nightstand that's about shoulder length of where i'm playing while it calibrated.

has this helped you with flying? or was it not a control issue?

The flying controls are just inaccurate annoying garbage.

The only thing I would change about the normal controls is that /I'd like A to draw the sword/shield.

i haven't found them to be inaccurate, but most of the controlled stuff like your Loftwing and beetle can be pretty dull.

beat the first boss tonight. the dueling sure was fun.

I really like that the game (so far) is acclimating you to the new items outside the dungeons. They really are better for it. Finished the second dungeon last night. I've gotten used to the flying and dive controls now. They work, but I still feel like they were included just because someone was too stuborn to admit that they just aren't effective.

Just finished it around the 50-hour mark. What an incredible game. I don't know if it's the best Zelda ever, I'm still inclined toward Majora's Mask on that front, but Skyward Sword is really, really good.

The last few hours are especially good, as they're where the game makes an effort to start tying different parts and elements of the greater franchise together. The final boss fight is a little easy, but man is it ever pretty. I didn't know my Wii could do... well, any of that.

There's some things I didn't really like, such as the flying/swimming controls and Fi constantly interrupting me to point out extremely obvious stuff, but they're all so minor when compared to the greater experience that it just seems silly to complain to them now that it's all done.

If this is how they're planning to refresh the design for the franchise then bring it on, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they build off Skyward Sword.

can't the internet just agree that Skyward is a really fun and competent Zelda game without having to put "But it's not better than OoT!" in with it?

i'm still making my way through, taking all the time in the world to look for new side quests and extra crap like heart pieces and chests. at the redux of Eldin mountain now. i love that you're actually -- forging the master sword -- this time around.

also, out of curiosity. F -ee or F -eye?

• 5 weeks later...

clocked in 62 by the end. but that's from visiting Pumpkin Landing and talking to everyone who had a new quest in skyloft, as well trying out the games every now and then after finishing a sanctuary. this has been one of the very few occasions where, besides some minor things like swimming, i enjoyed just about every second of it. that 62 barely felt like 20.

it's a shame that the game is getting overlooked by many gaming websites for Game of the Year (not all, but some).