Accelerated Evolution

Where to now?

Well, as we all know, the Star Trek franchise is in a state of stagnation. Enterprise, just as soon as it looked like it was headed towards improvement, was cancelled. There may be plans for an 11th film, but nothing will materialize until 2007 apparently. And then comes the work on getting the old TNG cast together, and since rumor has it Spiner doesn't want to play Data anymore that could be a problem. Of course, with enough makeup Spiner's fear that he has aged too much to play an android could be alleviated.

Anyway, the question of course is where does Trek go from here? Should it permanently be buried and just live on in books and other forms of merchandise? Or should a new TV series be created, should they continue to make movies?

I personally would be all for a new ST series if the writing team was changed. The problem with DS9, VOY, and ENT wasn't the premise (If you ask me, Voyager had the best premise of any ST ever and had so much wasted potential) it was the fact that the writers came up with some terrible ideas. The thing that made TNG so special was that despite it being episodic, an incredible amount of character development took place from beginning to end. You don't see this anywhere else. Sure there are episodes in all three that were focused on one particular character, but TNG didn't always do that and still was able to create massive character development. Perhaps it was the way in which the cast portrayed their characters that helped out so much. But I just think the problem in the final 3 ST series was that they didn't develop the characters and their interaction with one another as much. Voyager did this pretty well for the early part of season one (in large part due to the premise), but by season two virtually any signs of conflict between the crew themselves became ignored. Enterprise also had a gold mine in creating friction between the crew and T'Pol, but seemed to stop caring about this eventually. Deep Space Nine? It was a frickin' space station. There are billions of way in which you can create unique relationships between characters on a city of sorts (compared to the towns of the starships... work with me here).

So, I'd love to see a new TV series and movies if the writing doesn't suffer from what I call Vince McMahon syndrome (This is a wrestling term I picked up when I was a wrestling fan. Instead of shoving most things down fan's throats unless it is something that already has a longterm plan in place, Vince McMahon will just scrap the character and storyline and pretend it never happened). The writers need to come up with longterm plans, but if something else just seems to work then they need to write that aspect of the show into the show more. This seemed to be what the writers of recent years have forgotten.

New writers are a must, I'd say. I didn't even hate the premise of Enterprise... I just kind of thought it, you know, sucked balls.

(SPOILERS if you're lame and didn't see Nemesis)

Didn't Data die in Nemesis? So there's that problem solved. If they got the cast back together and Data was there, that'd be weird.

(END SPOILERS)

I'd be in favor of a new show. The TNG movies never did that much for me and have been getting progressively worse since First Contact.

Really I'd be in favor of more DS9... There was cool stuff to be done in that show, I say!

New writers are a must, I'd say. I didn't even hate the premise of Enterprise... I just kind of thought it, you know, sucked balls.

(SPOILERS if you're lame and didn't see Nemesis)

Didn't Data die in Nemesis? So there's that problem solved. If they got the cast back together and Data was there, that'd be weird.

(END SPOILERS)

I'd be in favor of a new show. The TNG movies never did that much for me and have been getting progressively worse since First Contact.

Really I'd be in favor of more DS9... There was cool stuff to be done in that show, I say!

(spoilers)

Remember, at the end of Nemesis they find the older data model and implant data's memory into it, therefore making it Data. (just rustier)

(end spoilers)

I'll be honest here, I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I have watched a majority of TNG episodes and a spattering of TOS, DS9, and VOY episodes. As far as the future of Star Trek goes though, I just don't think TV is ready for more Sci-Fi right now. I mean look as series like Firefly and Enterprise get taken off the air. The new Battlestar Gallactica series is doing well, but thats mostly due to its location on the Sci-Fi channel, but the Sci-Fi channel doesn't really have the resources to produce a Star Trek show. That kind of show takes mucho denaro. If a new Star Trek show was to come out, it would probably be wise to wait a few years, as Reality TV phases out, a brand new intellegent Star Trek show would probably fare well in its wake.

Problem is, most sci-fi shows don't have good writers. Babylon-5 is the only sci-fi show I can think of that had consistently good writing. Enterprise had lots of potential because of the rich backstory that had been established over the years, but it's writers didn't tap into that. They invented new BS stories that had nothing to do with the Trek timeline. I think Trek shows and movies should stay on hiatus until the producers can find genuinely talented writers (preferably Trek fans) to carry on the franchise...

Well, the plan is for them to be on hiatus until at least 2007, 2008 or so. I think that there is so much more that can be done, no matter what the setting. Look at the amount of the galaxy that has been explored, in reality that is very little. There is so much potential there, all that Trek honestly needs is good writing. The series practically makes itself, it in reality is one of the least restricitve things to write since there is so much in the galaxy that has been unwritten.

Watching "A Matter of Time" today gave me a great idea.

Make a show where they go though time to witness events in the past/future. There is so much potential in that.

Then I hit myself because most non-TNG time travel stories sucked.

I actually thought the same while watching the same episode today. But then I decided that it would grow too complex and likely isn't a good idea to base an entire series on. And that time travel stories often suck.

And that time travel stories often suck.

"A Matter of Time" was a good episode becuase it focused on time travel itself, not what happens due to the time travel. Like In "Storm Front" and those Enterprise episodes, they did a whole lot of shit. And after they were just like "Meh, the Earth is fine".

Like the classic Science Fiction Stories the real impact of time travel was discussed and used as a big issue for a big decision by Picard.