Accelerated Evolution
Wind

The working life

I was working for the university, but since I couldn't afford to sign up for fall classes they laid me off...

Go figure.

Now I'm in Chicagoland looking for a new everything.

I'm half janitor half groundskeeper at the elementary school in my town.

ARE YOU ALSO THE KEEPER OF THE KEYS?!

hagrid.jpg

Uh yeah, I work for a government agency funded by the city of Seattle called the Downtown Emergency Service Center. DESC started out in the 70s as just a homeless shelter (it's still the only secular homeless shelter in Seattle) but since then it's expanded to own several old-ass apartment buildings* downtown. These they've turned into housing projects for the "chronically homeess" (i.e. people who are disabled, mentally ill, or addicted to drugs and aren't become un-homeless anytime soon). So they're basically government-run apartment buildings with some support services for the people who live there, like counseling, a nearby clinic, and other support stuff. For the higher functioning people we have resources on like where to get jobs and stuff.

It's a pretty chill job. It's mostly like working in a really strange hotel. I sit at the front desk and work the phones, and watch the security cameras. I hand out meds to the mentally ill residents. I talk with the various people who live there, a number of whom are pretty cool. But most of the day, I'm just sitting around reading. And I get paid $10.61/hr :mario:

*The building I work at is like 104 years old or something

I've been working at the public library for over 4 years. I make almost $17/hour, but I only work about 12 hours a week.

I'm the Program Director for the university radio station. I've been volunteering there for 4 years now, but I've been in the paid position for the past year now.

I'm also the Arts Editor for the campus newspaper. I just started that last semester. It's alright. I'm good at writing.

I worked front desk at a hotel for about 6 months last year, too. One of my favorite jobs. The management was fucking awful and sometimes the guests were horrible people, but I made some great friends and met a lot of cool travelers. I'd like to do it again some day.

I like all of my jobs. The money is shit and I move constantly to avoid being evicted, but I love it. Having 3 jobs takes up more time than I have when I'm in school, but I like the work and I guess that's all that matters.

Uh yeah, I work for a government agency funded by the city of Seattle called the Downtown Emergency Service Center. DESC started out in the 70s as just a homeless shelter (it's still the only secular homeless shelter in Seattle) but since then it's expanded to own several old-ass apartment buildings* downtown. These they've turned into housing projects for the "chronically homeess" (i.e. people who are disabled, mentally ill, or addicted to drugs and aren't become un-homeless anytime soon). So they're basically government-run apartment buildings with some support services for the people who live there, like counseling, a nearby clinic, and other support stuff. For the higher functioning people we have resources on like where to get jobs and stuff.

It's a pretty chill job. It's mostly like working in a really strange hotel. I sit at the front desk and work the phones, and watch the security cameras. I hand out meds to the mentally ill residents. I talk with the various people who live there, a number of whom are pretty cool. But most of the day, I'm just sitting around reading. And I get paid $10.61/hr :mario:

*The building I work at is like 104 years old or something

ARGH, you lucky motherfucker.

Thats gotta be the coolest job of anyone on AE!

I've decided to dedicate the rest of my life to my dream...

From now on I am an Amateur Astronaut. So you in space!

ARE YOU ALSO THE KEEPER OF THE KEYS?!

dude I wish. I dont even get a master-key even though I kinda REALLY need one.

also, your job rocks.

i started as a night crew stocker at Safeway for like 8.50 an hour. not a bad job. easy but the lack of sleep really gets to you after 2 years. by the time i left i was making just over 12 bucks an hour

then when i moved i got hired at the Safeway Bakery and they used half my work hours towards raises so i started at like 10.50 an hour. i left a year and 4 months later and was at 11.75. It was probably both the worst and best job i've had so far. met some great people and some people i will hate till my dying breath. also got a fuckload of training in the short time i was there

and now i don't have a job yet. i just moved back to penticton and i'm taking it easy for another week before trying the wholesale club or the Safeway bakery here. both give me like a 75% chance of being hired at least

I got a job in a sweatshop (read: Paper Processing Plant) making State-Minimum wage and working with 95% Hispanics. They seem to think I'm either lost or a Narc for the Bosses. The Bosses however, seem to love my can-do attitude as in the span of four days I've been promoted from Laborer to Fork-Lift Operator, and now Warehouse Supervisor. :awesome:

Too bad I'm going to have to organize a worker's revolt as soon as I master Spanish. :whistling:

I work for these clowns. Essentially, I watch movies, study or read a book and they pay me because their marketing team is too stupid to think "Ya' know what might bring people into the store? Putting up a sign or something out front."

Whatever. I'm a year from graduation. For now, it'll do.

Im a Journeyman Machinist, i have been in the trade since highschool, and just now finally reaping the rewards of going into a trade.I am currently making 35/hr. I moved 1200 km to the most expensive city to live in Canada to get the job that i have right now. Basically what i do is make parts to within a tolerance of .0001". Givin a drawing i can make pretty much anything using machines like Lathes, Milling machines, surface grinders, boring mills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDc0l9Gm8D4&feature=related

Im a Journeyman Machinist, i have been in the trade since highschool, and just now finally reaping the rewards of going into a trade.I am currently making 35/hr. I moved 1200 km to the most expensive city to live in Canada to get the job that i have right now. Basically what i do is make parts to within a tolerance of .0001". Givin a drawing i can make pretty much anything using machines like Lathes, Milling machines, surface grinders, boring mills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDc0l9Gm8D4&feature=related

Dude! That is awesome. I might hit you up for some car part fabrication later on. I want to do some special dust caps for some car axles. Just need to do the engineering for it. (^o^ )

We could totally be working together in a year. :awesome:

I'm studying Automated Systems Engineering (Mechatronics) at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.

do you do that?

I now get to say I work for the largest pawn shop in the US and I absolutely love it.

I get 10hr base plus commission and an awesome discount. (On DIAMONDS hehe!) And all the other stuff we carry, but yeah DIAMONDS and PLATINUM. XD

My boss is only a year older than me and we all go out pretty often. It's the same old retail BS but now I get insurance, vacation, overtime, and respect.

And I'm in one of the top spots for them putting me through GIA school, which gets me a nice raise and GIA certification.

Anyone from MN area should totally apply there. (I think I remember being one of the only WI people on the board, but there's a bunch of stores in MN too.)

EDIT- And if you do apply you should put my name down so if they hire you we can split the $200 bonus I get. XD

I start as a Frontend Developer for rdio.com in March. I was flown out for an interview end of January and got a job offer a few days later. So this is going to be quite the adventure. Time to move from Michigan.

Congrats man. You're basically living the dream :hardgay: I aspire to move to the Bay Area as well. I gotta move somewhere that has better Mexican food than here, it's driving me nuts :wacko:

still at http://rdio.com as a front end developer. I got done working on the awesome Facebook Music integration with our side a couple of weeks ago. Currently in charge of internationalization and localization, emails (frontend and back-end architecture), and mobile pages (what you see when you visit the site in a web browser on iPhone, android, etc)

Well it's been long enough I can reply again to this thread.

I quit the library after 6 years last month. I got a job working as a Wildfire Dispatcher. I also work at a tea store. I just quit the radio job I had. Oh, and I quit the newspaper I worked for too. I quit everything, actually. I just missed my co workers at the tea shop so I went back.

My goodbye gifts from the library were a necklace with moose head on it and a bottle of wine. They know me so well. :awesome:

My goodbye gifts from the library were a necklace with moose head on it and a bottle of wine. They know me so well. :awesome:

That rules.

Been working at Trumbull Highschool again installin' that ductwork. God the place is awful to work at, but prevailing wage! <3 Prevailing wage jobs.

Been pushing 55+ hour weeks for the past three and a half months :awesome:

I sling sushi these days. Its a pretty good gig on account of the free raw fish.

And I craved I ate hearts of sharks.

I sling sushi these days. Its a pretty good gig on account of the free raw fish.

And I craved I ate hearts of sharks.

That sounds cool. I'd like to hear some insider tips. I'm eating sushi right now. The manager gave it to me for free becaus eI biked there. :awesome: