Accelerated Evolution
Wind

The working life

Working at an investment firm in the IT department. Its technically a help desk position (I think), but I barely actually do anything. Any tickets that come up I usually assign to technition on call and make the programs that perform the investment transactions are running on time. Most of the time I am just sit at the desk doing nothing. Worst of all the shifts I have are pretty bad (1 to 10 fridays and weekends).

how the fuck do you guys get jobs, in the last 4 months i've given out 120 printed resumes, and filled about twice as many apps, online and off. and so far i've only gotten 5 interviews, all of which have refused to call me back.

how the fuck do you guys get jobs, in the last 4 months i've given out 120 printed resumes, and filled about twice as many apps, online and off. and so far i've only gotten 5 interviews, all of which have refused to call me back.

20% work

80% pure luck

I don't think I'd get called for jobs if I didn't write outstanding cover letters for each place I apply to. As someone who regularly takes resumes from people, I know that 99% of people do not write cover letters, and if someone took the time to write one, I would call them. If you dress well, shake hands, be excruciatingly polite, don't have a trail of your friends behind you while you do it, and don't have a huge stack of resumes you're handing out to every other store, we'll call. Looking for work sucks though. I feel your pain :sad:

I'm just a fantastically charming gentleman.

(In all seriousness I have no idea. Dumb luck or something)

Anyway, I do programming work for an oil extraction site right now. Actually, for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1mZMOP-wbY]this plant.

Anyway, I do programming work for an oil extraction site right now.

"How about I do some programming for your oil extraction site?"

also works well as a pick up line. :hardgay:

Got a job last month at a data center.

Can't really talk about the rest of it though, as I'm under NDA. :cool:

Got a job at the Vancouver Island Regional Library. Fuck yeahhh. I can work at either the two Nanaimo branches, in Ladysmith, or on Gabriola Island. BOOM.

Eh, I don't think I have talked too much on my employment.

I am a Senior Editor and Visual Designer for an up-and coming gaming site that has recently signed on with Razer, Logitech, Cougar, and a few other outlets to provide our equipment. ASRock, ATi and Intel are on deck. We are currently in the process of launching a new site and are now closing in on 100,000 hits a week. We work with Rock, Paper, Shotgun to promote out content and we have a staff of 6. I obviously will not plug it here as there is no need to bring that here. It has only been roughly a year in operation and we have received over $5,000 in free games and equipment, which is pretty decent.

Before I started working here, I was a Journeyman welder working in a shop with a guy who has been doing it for 50 years. I had always thought I would never be able to break into the industry, and then found myself sitting in the offices of several game studios in the Eastern US talking to people who I never thought I would converse with.

20% work

80% pure luck

pretty much. i got lucky and had got my first break in a place where the managment spread the word about me. the only reason i managed to get any job in this town was connections built at my first job.

and i got my job in kamloops because i was friends with the bakery managers parents

anyways i clean at walmart now. not too bad. 3 shifts a week and everythings paid with some to spare every month. and as i found out last night poop on the bathroom ceiling is something i clean. its hard getting a ladder into there