Accelerated Evolution

Robotics

Mahal Kita

Man, I'd like to play around with robotics, but I've never gotten the chance and I wouldn't know where to start.

if you're still in HS [and will be for another year or so] you should try and start a team at your school

from what i understand, we still need our conveyer and more electronics work, but the frame and hopper are both done.

oh...man -- its crunch time now -- almost ship date!

Is this that thing where you try to build a robot to get ping pong balls into a basket?

no...its an actual robot competition -- where you get 6 weeks to build a robot to play a certain game.

i doubt the ship date is the same for everybody, but i ain't sure.

however, i know that we do have a good amount of time left, like 2-3 weeks.

uh wtf...

i think it is the same for everyone -- since kick off is the same day for everyone. not even same day -- same hour! and then you get 6 weeks to build. so it'd be unfair to provide other teams with more time -- since the given time is 6 weeks from the day of kick off.

Ah robotics. I've heard about this. I know someone who is slightly interested in it, kind of, a little. I'd be careful of that 1219 team though. They may rank high, but I hear it is through sabotage and bribery. Just sayin'.

no...its an actual robot competition -- where you get 6 weeks to build a robot to play a certain game.

uh wtf...

But this year's event is building a robot... That can shoot ping pong balls... Into a basket. Almost the exact same concept anyway.

i think it is the same for everyone -- since kick off is the same day for everyone. not even same day -- same hour! and then you get 6 weeks to build. so it'd be unfair to provide other teams with more time -- since the given time is 6 weeks from the day of kick off.

It's also unfair to have some teams with more funding than another, but thems is the breaks.

Nah, I'm going to be graduating in June, but I wish I had done something about this. It sounds really cool.

It definitely is...I think every highschool kid should have a robotics team at their school...it truly is an awesome experience.

Ah robotics. I've heard about this. I know someone who is slightly interested in it, kind of, a little. I'd be careful of that 1219 team though. They may rank high, but I hear it is through sabotage and bribery. Just sayin'.

Yeah...its corruption like that that pushes teams like my schools into the shadows and they don't get the recognition they deserve!

But this year's event is building a robot... That can shoot ping pong balls... Into a basket. Almost the exact same concept anyway.

...they're not ping pong balls. Nor is it into a basket.

It's also unfair to have some teams with more funding than another, but thems is the breaks.

Yeah...damn. Its beyond unfair when the team's are sponsored by huge companies -- and then the kids dont do any of the work...the mentors that the companies send in do. Stupid...that completely blows the purpose of the FRC.

* A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

* A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where

* A robot may not injure humanity, or, through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

too much I Robot for you buddy.

I think my dad's company sponsors the robotics team for my old high school (yeah, he couldn't get it going while I actually went there... lame). I'm pretty sure he said they suck balls. Not that exact phrase though.

haha...whats the team they sponsor? Or well -- the school [if you don't know the team #]?

DAMN YOU QUOTE RESTRICTIONS!!!

so, we shipped tuesday. or yesterday. i forgot. however, we shipped it in this:

_Cthulhu__by_Artist3c.jpg

That's Cthulhu, done by Cecily Conden and Brian Melani. =D

ha! I knew there weren't 2-3 weeks remaining. Yeah...Tuesday...February 21st. I got home like...12:19AM [yes...that EXACT TIME!] on Monday night [well...technically Tuesday MORNING] and went to school around 6 in the morning to put the finishing touches on the robot [cuz ship time was 10AM...but we shipped at 11ish].

Oh -- thats cool...we painted our crate! Well...myself, a teacher and a bunch of students. We did it in like 2 days...good times. I was in charge of painting the door...cuz I got to design it [kinda...] and I didn't like how some of the other kids were painting and some of em were just plain annoying to work with [some kid wouldn't even listen to me!!] so then yeah...I was put in charge of deciding who I'd allow to paint my door and all. Yes...MY DOOR.

But yeah -- gonna miss build...cuz this year I'm gone...uni and all -- so no more late night builds for me.

well the truck didn't get at our school until like 6PM, so we had alot of time to work on it...more.

yeah...you guys had a lot of time. Usually we ship it after school as well but time was changed this year -- we had to send it to another school...and from there FedEx picks it up and takes it to our first regional.

it's still unfinished with electrical and chain issues that we have to fix in san jose.

oh, we had some stuff to fix as well -- overall...its working, but we've still to put the camera on and yeah. Overall...we're done -- its functioning. There were a lot of teams who hadn't finished their robot...last week [or well...the week prior] a team was hosting a mock regional and invited teams within the region...and well, my team went [even though we weren't done] and there were only a couple teams there...and they weren't done their robot either.

Are you guys going to one regional or two...or more?

God I wish my school had a Robotics club. I managed to nab the financing we would need, but nobody ever bothered to join.

Aww...well there are some mentoring opportunities...

we're going to two, if we can afford it.

Oh, my teacher is totally cool...we didn't have the funding for two -- so she's relying on the marketing team right now because she paid for our second regional off her AmEx card...[the first one...the $6K is paid by our school board] -- so yeah...

one for sure, the one that's just about to happen in 3 weeks.

Oh...good luck in it!