Accelerated Evolution

Parenting

What does everyone think about physically punishing/disciplining children?

I am strongly against physical punishment. There are so many other ways to discipline there isn't any need for it.

If I were to hit a stranger, that's assault.

If I were to hit my mother or father, that is assault.

If I were to hit a random kid, that is assault.

If I were to hit MY kid, I'm being a good parent.

Parents want to teach their kids to use words instead of violence when solving problems, but they do things like spank their children for getting into fights at school?

Literally no physical punishment in allowed in Norway by the way.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/no/cri

Not exactly sure what I'm making up there. Yes, high drug offenses, but most people, particularly on this forum don't really see any problem. It's also one of the richest countries and has a high life expectancy, low infant mortality rate, ect ect.

Gay marriage has been legal for years...

but I don't see why this suddenly turned into a debate about Norway.

Yea...that whole law against physical punishment sure has ruined Norway, what with it's incredible civil liberties and low crime rate.

Yeah sure... :rolleyes: Where again? That place is now dead to me...

Do you really believe hurting and instilling fear children when they make mistakes is really the best way to turn them into healthy people?

It sounds like we're talking about two different things here. Because If you think thet's why people do it then it's not the same thing. Kids shouldn't fear you before or after it, if they do then you're doing a bad job.

Healthy people!? That's not what I'd call the children and teens of today....

You can make up facts to support any argument. 95% of all people know that.

Actually 97.442312%.

My dad is a social worker who works with children and he spanked me pretty often. If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will. It doesn't make a difference how you punish them, it matters how you treat them when you aren't punishing them. No physical punishment or smart physical punishment, both are effective if you are a good and loving parent.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/no/cri

Not exactly sure what I'm making up there. Yes, high drug offenses, but most people, particularly on this forum don't really see any problem. It's also one of the richest countries and has a high life expectancy, low infant mortality rate, ect ect.

Gay marriage has been legal for years...

but I don't see why this suddenly turned into a debate about Norway.

It's easy to say anything really. I'd never want to live or have kids there... That's for sure. :mellow:

Bunch of drug loving pervs.

Anyway, what does any of that crap have to do with this topic?

Well, you're speaking from your own ancedotal evidence. I could just as easily say that I was spanked and it created a lot of negative tension.

I generally think that since it is taboo to hit anyone else, why should you have the right to hit your own child? Why do you have the right to teach your children by your own example that violence = a means of dealing with people. This is just logical.

It's easy to say anything really. I'd never want to live or have kids there... That's for sure. :mellow:

Bunch of drug loving pervs.

Anyway, what does any of that crap have to do with this topic?

Yea, you know those statistics that aren't in James_xeno's favor....always lies trying to push that gay/drug agenda.

Yea, you know those statistics that aren't in James_xeno's favor....always lies trying to push that gay/drug agenda.

What the fuck do gays have to do with this now?! You're the one that posted about that, I didn't reply to that part of your post because it has nothing to do with this topic! You really will say anything to try and win a debate... :mellow:

Seems to me that physically beating children is the shallow-thinker's way.

*two kids smacking each other*

Mom: It isn't nice to hit! *whaps one of the kids*

kid: This is hypocrisy!

Mom: Don't talk back! *gets hit again*

kid: Wait a tick... Solve problems via violence. Of course! Lesson learned.

*punches sister in the jaw*

kid: Gimme that toy!

Nay, the best method, as is almost always the case, is mental. Leaves no marks, and yet could scar a kid with ease.

*kid causes trouble*

mom: *shames child*

kid: I am wounded. I shall not do this again, however my trust in you has been diminished. *sadness*

My dad is a social worker who works with children and he spanked me pretty often. If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will.

Yes, it is evident your father became so corrupted by what he witnessed that he carried his stress from his job into physical violence upon you, rather than a more constructive manner.

I will kill my children to win an internet debate.

Anyway, you're not adding anything to this thread so why should I be expected to take you seriously?

Wha...!

You're the one that started this retarded argument over Norway, I made a joke in jest and you went off.

On to the topic at hand.

Please show us some proof to back up your yet unsubstantiated view on this.

Because right now I see nothing more then a PC vs. fact and history debate.

What substanial proof is there that hitting children is a healthy, effective means of discipline? What I've been saying are logical, obvious things. Hitting your child to punish it does show that violence = a way to deal with certain problems. And it is considered wrong to hit anyone other than your child, how does this make sense?

What substanial proof is there that hitting children is a healthy, effective means of discipline? What I've been saying are logical, obvious things. Hitting your child to punish it does show that violence = a way to deal with certain problems. And it is considered wrong to hit anyone other than your child, how does this make sense?

There is substantial proof in both ways.

Deal with it. There is no right answer here.

And again, what you're talking about is NOT the same as the kind of punishment you're trying to condemn. And definitely not the way to punish children.

There's nothing "logical" about your argument, it's purely emotional and idealogical based. You didn't look at the issue, its facts and then come to a conclusion. You came, you saw what you view as violence and instantly jumped to the idealogical conclusion that; spanking = violence, any and all violence = evil/bad, so spanking = bad.

So please try again.

I am also against the physical punishment of children, though I don't think it causes any serious damage unless taken to a severe level. I just think there are better ways to communicate your point; spanking just villainizes you as the parent. And anyway, grounding lasts far longer and leaves a longer impression.

She's right, Xeno... it seems fairly obvious to me that hitting = teaching the kids that violence is the way to solve problems. Overall, it's generally better to reach a peaceful solution. But I guess people like you, who apparently tend to react more with their fists than their brain, wouldn't understand that.

There is a difference between physical abuse and physical discipline. Physical actions with the intent to show the child their wrongdoing is quite different from physical action to instill fear and intent to hurt the child.

Grounding, I've found doesn't work. Oh my, I've been bad, please mommy, send me to my room where all my toys are. Please, unless the parent plans to place their child isolation from their privilages, it's never going to work.

And please, don't be morons and kill your non-existant children over an internet debate. Go check yourself in a mental hospital ASAP.

Grounding, I've found doesn't work. Oh my, I've been bad, please mommy, send me to my room where all my toys are. Please, unless the parent plans to place their child isolation from their privilages, it's never going to work.

It works when the toys get taken away. I always thought grounded = you lose all your privelages. At least that's the way it was/is in my house. :huh:

Obviously you have to be intelligent about the way you discipline. There are tons of non-physical punishments that work well (standing in a corner for 20 minutes, taking away video games, whatever.)

I'm not sure, James_xeno how my arguments are purely emotional and ideological. Please explain to me how punishing a child with violence is not telling it that violence can be used to solve a problem. Yes, I understand that there's a difference between spanking your child and savagely beating them, but both are still violence and sending out the "violence is ok" message. And yes, all violence is wrong, especially when you're talking to a child who can't understand complex ideas.