Accelerated Evolution

The Metal Thread I

Kreutz

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From blabbermouth

Washington Post reports that FBI agents witnessed possible mistreatment of the Koran at the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, including at least one instance in which an interrogator bragged to an FBI agent that he had forced a prisoner to listen to "Satanic black metal music for hours," then dressed as a Catholic priest before "baptizing" him, according to bureau documents released yesterday (Tuesday, Jan. 2).

One agent reported being told that while questioning male captives, female interrogators would sometimes wet their hands and touch detainees' faces in order to interrupt their prayers. Such actions would make some Muslims consider themselves unclean and unable to continue praying.

Lt. Cmdr. Joe Carpenter, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement last night that "the issues and facts raised" in the documents "are not new" and that 12 reviews have showed there were no Defense Department policies that condoned abuse.

Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

Wow.

From blabbermouth

Washington Post reports that FBI agents witnessed possible mistreatment of the Koran at the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, including at least one instance in which an interrogator bragged to an FBI agent that he had forced a prisoner to listen to "Satanic black metal music for hours," then dressed as a Catholic priest before "baptizing" him, according to bureau documents released yesterday (Tuesday, Jan. 2).

One agent reported being told that while questioning male captives, female interrogators would sometimes wet their hands and touch detainees' faces in order to interrupt their prayers. Such actions would make some Muslims consider themselves unclean and unable to continue praying.

Lt. Cmdr. Joe Carpenter, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement last night that "the issues and facts raised" in the documents "are not new" and that 12 reviews have showed there were no Defense Department policies that condoned abuse.

Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

Wow.

It beats The Red Hot Chili Peppers. :hardgay:

are At the Gates just power metal with death vox? :laugh:

Gothanburg Melodic Death is not the same as regular Melodic Death. Melodic Death bands (like Amon Amarth, Dark Lunacy, The Project Hate MCMXCIX) simply play Death Metal with more melody in it.

On the other hand Gothanburg bands (I just call them Melodeath, so if I say Melodeath I'm not refering to bands like Amon Amarth) get their melody from Power Metal, which is by its nature very melodic, of course. Melodeath (bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Omnium Gatherum, etc) take Power Metal, change the tuning to get rid of the trade mark flowery or lighter PM sound, add in more agressive drumming with blast beats and/or more double bass, make the music seem "tighter" so to speak (I've noticed Melodeath bands like to use power chords), and of course they finally add in Harsh vocals, either Death grunts or shrieks. So essentially, Gothanburg Melodeath is hiked up Power Metal, a mix of Power and Death if you will. It's essentially an off shoot of Power more so than Death, which is why it is technically not Death Metal.

Power Metal with harsh vocals on the other other hand would be bands like Kalmah, Norther and Throne of Chaos. The music is just Power Metal plain and simple but with harsh vocals and sometimes blast beats (Kalmah uses a lot of blastbeats in The Black Waltz). As for the discussion we had about Kalmah... some part of The Black Waltz sound more like Melodeath but the music remains by its nature Power Metal. I could totally see Kalmah being Melodeath but I sorta hope they don't because I love their sound. And as for Darkon claiming that harsh vocals shouldn't be mentioned anywhere around Power Metal (or something along those lines, pardon me)... some of Elvenking's songs on The Winter Wake have harsh vocals and the alternative version of the Edguy song "Mysteria" displays Tobias growling a few of the verses. On top of that... Kalmah, Norther and Throne of Chaos, as mentioned, among other bands play plain out PM but with harsh vocals.

I can't really explain it any better than that and if you don't see it, I'm sorry. I tried.

Also, we once discussed Metalcore. Metalcore can be closer to Metal or Hardcore. If the former it can be considered Metal for all intensive purposes and if the latter it can be considered Punk. Metalcore involves Metal (often Death, Thrash or Melodeath) riffs and/or Hardcore riffs. Bands like Atreyu are of course mostly Hardcore with only slight Metal mixed in, on the other hand bands like The Red Chord and The Faceless are musically made entirely of Death Metal. In that case the thing that makes it Metalcore is the breakdowns. Another thing common to Metalcore is the use of vocals as a rhythmic instrument, that being the alternation between the high shrieks/yells, guttural vocals and clean vocals, switching amongst eachother regardless of what is going on with the music.

Anyway, I know what chromatism (known for a bit) is but what is monochromatism? I've heard it mentioned and I dunno what it means. Is it another term for chromatism?

So essentially, Gothanburg Melodeath is hiked up Power Metal, a mix of Power and Death if you will. It's essentially an off shoot of Power more so than Death, which is why it is technically not Death Metal.

i'm not shitting you when i say this should be a bannable offense. i'm not even sure where to begin, just...wow. i assume your pal Dragomere is from Gaia, i'll have to find out if such blatant ignorance is tolerated over there

wow

So dawgs...

I was actually digging that Shape Of Despair but it's a very mood based thing for me. Like this morning when I was on my way to school, still kind of asleep and just not wanting to do anything, it was awesome. Later on in the day after school...I need some faster paced stuff.

So dawgs...

I was actually digging that Shape Of Despair but it's a very mood based thing for me. Like this morning when I was on my way to school, still kind of asleep and just not wanting to do anything, it was awesome. Later on in the day after school...I need some faster paced stuff.

that's a big part of DOOM in general, you have to be in the MOOD (nyuk nyuk). anyone who gets off to the stuff all the time probably has issues

most extreme music is like that for me. like when it's time for some brutal fucking death, it's fucking TIME for some brutal fucking death. then maybe i'll just want to turn off the lights and trip out to some Esoteric. i think most people are like that, though