Accelerated Evolution
Sign in to follow this  
FaultyClockwork

Word up.

Ah, good ol' DnD. I wish I could play more. ;_; If only my friend hadn't taken my character sheet awhile back... *grumbles*

Buy one of them deluxe character sheet packet things, or just download them from the Wizards of the Coast website.

Yeah, over a year ago there was an aborted attempt at starting an Anti-AN (this was THAT long ago) DND game. I think we were planning to use AIM or something like that, but I've played a few games at RPoL before. It's okay, but most of the people there are idiots (I mean that in the nicest way possible. They just don't play the type of games I dig). On a technological side, it's pretty cool, the GM can make threads only certain players can read, and stuff like that.

I've actually only played "Vanilla" fantasy DND a few times, we had a campaign that met for a little over a month. It was cool but we stopped for some reason. Because my gaming group is weird.

In the past we've played d20 Modern, d20 Fallout, and Iron Kingdoms (have you ever heard of this? It's like teh best setting evar! *Fanboys out*). We've also tried d20 Star Wars, Vampire the Masquerade and d20 Warcraft, with mixed results. Oh, and we played a zombie survival freeform game on RPoL for a little while.

As for the number of books I have, I'm not really sure... I have the DND core books, d20 Modern, d20 Apocalypse, the IK World Guide, the Witchfire Trilogy (EDIT: And of course, now I have The Red Star!)... I don't have too many books because my friend downloaded a whole lot off the internet (want Starcraft Alternity rules? Hydralisks have 7 CHA). I swear, he downloads three books a week at minimum...

What? Is that referencing an animenation thread?

Yes, it is. You said Marth and Roy's charge attacks were B + up. They're just B. :p

Details people!

I'm sorry I was mean, I guess I was just overwhelmed by the abortion and the font and the Nietzsche. I don't have anything against Century Gothic especially it's more that since there are only like 120 people here total I don't think you need a special font to stand out xD. Anyway I take it back and I hope we can be friends after you stop thinking I'm an asshole :D :D :D

Yes, it is. You said Marth and Roy's charge attacks were B + up. They're just B. :p

Details people!

I thought they were talking about a charge as in a literal running at/jumping up at someone violently, not the charge up. I've always considered the "charge" to be that thing where they fly into the air. I always called the B move the "charge up" or "bubble breaker." Maybe I missed some detail in that thread or something. @_@

Yeah, over a year ago there was an aborted attempt at starting an Anti-AN (this was THAT long ago) DND game. I think we were planning to use AIM or something like that, but I've played a few games at RPoL before. It's okay, but most of the people there are idiots (I mean that in the nicest way possible. They just don't play the type of games I dig). On a technological side, it's pretty cool, the GM can make threads only certain players can read, and stuff like that.

I've actually only played "Vanilla" fantasy DND a few times, we had a campaign that met for a little over a month. It was cool but we stopped for some reason. Because my gaming group is weird.

In the past we've played d20 Modern, d20 Fallout, and Iron Kingdoms (have you ever heard of this? It's like teh best setting evar! *Fanboys out*). We've also tried d20 Star Wars, Vampire the Masquerade and d20 Warcraft, with mixed results. Oh, and we played a zombie survival freeform game on RPoL for a little while.

As for the number of books I have, I'm not really sure... I have the DND core books, d20 Modern, d20 Apocalypse, the IK World Guide, the Witchfire Trilogy (EDIT: And of course, now I have The Red Star!)... I don't have too many books because my friend downloaded a whole lot off the internet (want Starcraft Alternity rules? Hydralisks have 7 CHA). I swear, he downloads three books a week at minimum...

I played an RPol thing that died after a bit. We're talking... an average of two posts a week or something. There was a girl who played a Wizard or Sorcerer or something... and she tried to cast sleep on a bunch of Undead rats... twice... The second time she put a friendly NPC guard to sleep and the rats coup de graced him.

I've heard of Iron Kingdoms. Good things but around the time I had done that I gave up on the group so I never tried looking for it. I have the World of Warcraft campaign setting and I think they handeled some parts of it lacking finesse... How is d20 Modern? I find Shadowrun interesting, which is like a modern setting too.

I have no idea what the Witchfore Trilogy or The Red Star are. /kneels Enlighten me.

I'm sorry I was mean, I guess I was just overwhelmed by the abortion and the font and the Nietzsche. I don't have anything against Century Gothic especially it's more that since there are only like 120 people here total I don't think you need a special font to stand out xD. Anyway I take it back and I hope we can be friends after you stop thinking I'm an asshole :D :D :D

/ponders

Okay I stopped thinking your an asshole. I just like special fonts and customising as much as possible. It's a little OCD thing with me, trying to give everything the perfect touch like that. Every once in a while I get someone who can't read the 1 point Century Gothic, so I've been getting into the habit of just using the normal size. Do you not like Nietzsche or something? I'm actually reading it as independant reading for my AP Lit course...

Okay I stopped thinking your an asshole. I just like special fonts and customising as much as possible. It's a little OCD thing with me, trying to give everything the perfect touch like that. Every once in a while I get someone who can't read the 1 point Century Gothic, so I've been getting into the habit of just using the normal size. Do you not like Nietzsche or something? I'm actually reading it as independant reading for my AP Lit course...

I read a lot of Nietzsche when I was like 13 (ok 15) and because I'm really illogical and stuff I took it as like a personal proof that I do not deserve to exist so he really ruined my winter. xD

DnD is for noobs!!!

Pheer the l33t, stuck-up, I'm better then you because I hate d20 and can write books worth of material outlining its flaws Gamer! :crube:

But seriously, we should try and start some sort of thread or club or something involving Pen & Paper RPGs.

I read a lot of Nietzsche when I was like 13 (ok 15) and because I'm really illogical and stuff I took it as like a personal proof that I do not deserve to exist so he really ruined my winter. xD

Eer... so this was last winter? : ) I'm sorry my sig was a personal affront to your meaning of existance. :P

We should push for a PnP RPG Club or something. We still need dice rollers and character sheets a stuff.

I played an RPol thing that died after a bit. We're talking... an average of two posts a week or something. There was a girl who played a Wizard or Sorcerer or something... and she tried to cast sleep on a bunch of Undead rats... twice... The second time she put a friendly NPC guard to sleep and the rats coup de graced him.

I've heard of Iron Kingdoms. Good things but around the time I had done that I gave up on the group so I never tried looking for it. I have the World of Warcraft campaign setting and I think they handeled some parts of it lacking finesse... How is d20 Modern? I find Shadowrun interesting, which is like a modern setting too.

I have no idea what the Witchfore Trilogy or The Red Star are. /kneels Enlighten me.

d20 Modern is cool. It's Wizard's attempt at making a more generic game system. I mean, it's not as generic as, say, GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System, the worst name everâ„¢), nor as modular, but it works with all the sourcebooks and pretty much anything for DND can be changed to work with it with a little fudging. The most interesting thing about d20 Modern to me is that the ECL's and such are balanced for a low-or-no-magic setting, which appeals to me as, while I like magic, I always thought it should be a special thing rather than, "Well, I stubbed my toe, better go down to the temple and get Cure Minor Wounds cast on me" or "I need to move this table... Boy, go get the town wizard."

I've heard nothing but good things about Shadowrun, but I've never played it (except for the SNES game...). On and off it sounds really cool and then really lame to me. Like one day I'll totally dig the idea of gangster dwarves with machine pistols and such, and the next day I'll hate the idea of magical cyberpunk. d20 Modern isn't incredibly like Shadowrun, but there are Cyberpunk sourcebooks (including one that's a free pdf on the intarnet, I have it somewhere around here) that make it more like SR.

Iron Kingdoms is probably my favorite campaign setting ever. It's steampunk perfected as far as I'm concerned. The only gripes I have are a lack of zeppelins, which is easily fixed (especially since d20 Past [a short rules addition to d20 Modern with things like Tommy Guns and other pulp fictiony stuff] released rules for zeps), and a ridiculously complicated technology system that I do not understand one bit. The Witchfire Trilogy is a set of several adventures in the Kingdoms that I'm currently running with my school group. One thing interesting about the Kingdoms is that they were invented by two artists, so all the books have really excellent art.

The Red Star is based on a series of comics... It's sort of like alternate history cyberpunk Soviet Russia. With magic and giant airships and... Okay, it's really, really cool. www.theredstar.com I've just started reading the comics, and they have some really good art. The book is published by Green Ronin and has a lot of cool rules mods. Like there's only 6 classes or so but they have so many different ways of specializing there's more like 40. It's insane. Plus, there's nothing cooler than summoning an ethereal Minigun and laying waste to the enemies of the Motherland with your psychic wrath.

DnD is for noobs!!!

Pheer the l33t, stuck-up, I'm better then you because I hate d20 and can write books worth of material outlining its flaws Gamer! :crube:

But seriously, we should try and start some sort of thread or club or something involving Pen & Paper RPGs.

My canned response for "OMG *Insert system that isn't d20 here* IS TEH BEST D20 SUX" is that I think d20 is fine. It's not great, but the system isn't what matters, it's what your players and GM are doing. Plus every sourcebook ever is made for d20 these days. And who wants to learn GURPS, anyway?

EDIT: In case you can't tell, I would really go to town with a Pen and Paper club.

I just can't stand d20 because of 1) Classes and 2) Almost all of the combat rules are beyond asinine. I mean, the whole AC system is so fundementally flawed. I just feel that d20 is a system that draws its inspiration from the video game RPGs and not the PnP RPGs of yore, and that bugs the shit out of me.

D20 is pretty lame... I really dislike playing it myself because it's a system that encourages munchkinism. Most people that I know that actually like D&D and the D20 system are players that enjoy power gaming more than roleplaying. If you can find a good group of players who are all about roleplaying over getting uber equipment and stats then it's not too bad... but if you have a group like that, why bother playing D&D anyways? There are so many better gaming systems out there.

I just can't stand d20 because of 1) Classes and 2) Almost all of the combat rules are beyond asinine. I mean, the whole AC system is so fundementally flawed. I just feel that d20 is a system that draws its inspiration from the video game RPGs and not the PnP RPGs of yore, and that bugs the shit out of me.

Yes, it does do that. And I don't pay attention to much of the combat rules. Hardly anyone in my group ever takes special actions or anything, and really we try to avoid combat in general because it's so freakin' boring...

I agree that AC is pretty fucked. There's some house rules floating around on the internet that make it not so bad (like having armor provide DR rather than dodging bonuses) but it doesn't do much to help it.

Basically, there are so many systems out there that aren't d20 I'm a little afraid of them. I tried GURPS and I didn't like it much. It seemed like it was even more built towards powergaming than DND (note that I have never played GURPS -- I just curled up with the book for a weekend). I also tried Vampire and didn't like that too much, it was sort of the opposite... It was impossible to powergame, but you were supposed to roleplay everything, including going to the store and buying bread.

That being said, I kind of hate rules in general, which is one of the reasons I like d20. Less rules converting if I want to use (insert sourcebook) with (insert system that it wasn't made for). And I really hate powergaming, ruins everything for everyone.

That being said, I kind of hate rules in general, which is one of the reasons I like d20. Less rules converting if I want to use (insert sourcebook) with (insert system that it wasn't made for). And I really hate powergaming, ruins everything for everyone.

My friend, I direct you to The Window. It's an extremely rules light system that you can read in a half hour. If you have a good GM that can manage running a game with almost no rules, it can be very fun. You also need a pretty open minded group of gamers. Oh yeah, and you need a few d30's. They're not too hard to find though.

Never in my life have I even seen a d30.

Although thanks for the recommendation.

EDIT: The first sentence of this site is making me like it already. "The Window is a transparent portal into the imagination, a roleplaying system designed with the simple belief that roleplaying is about story and character and not about dice and dick waving."

I like the class archetypes and combat and all that crap from d20, and you can be inventive when you try. I like having access to that, while still being able to roleplay. Roleplaying is very possible in d20, just don't play with idiots or munchkins. I played Mage once, it didn't feel very concrete and there's nothing to save you if the group/DM can't roleplay well enough. At least in D&D you can throw some monsters or an old nemesis to buy time or something. Parts of such an opened ended system are fun though.

That system -- The Window -- looks pretty cool. It's interesting. It seems to adress some, but not all, of the problems with playing freeform games, but it still seems that one bad player could easily ruin everything. Still, I'd like to play it some time.

I finished reading the Red Star sourcebook today (cover to cover, three days!) and I have made a new realization about roleplaying games.

I like bookkeeping. But I hate combat. At least d20 combat. More often than not it's just "I attack him." "Okay, roll your attack." "16, does that hit?" I'm sure you all know that. Sure, it can be more interesting but more often than not it just takes a really long time. Which is why I'm always in favor of optional rules that make combat more lethal (even if my players aren't).

One thing I have noticed in talking about RPG's online is that everyone seems to hate powergamers. Do powergamers just not go on the internet? Or do they all frequent places like the Wizards of the Coast boards and other places I will never visit?

I like bookkeeping. But I hate combat. At least d20 combat. More often than not it's just "I attack him." "Okay, roll your attack." "16, does that hit?" I'm sure you all know that. Sure, it can be more interesting but more often than not it just takes a really long time. Which is why I'm always in favor of optional rules that make combat more lethal (even if my players aren't).

I'd suggest checking out The Riddle of Steel if you're interested in really fun, lethal, realistic combat.

Just in case no one has noticed yet, I started a thread in the Clubs section about it. Y'all should head over there and say you'd join, so we can prove that we deserve to exist or pass the trials of getting an admin to make us a club or whatever it is we need to do.

Just in case no one has noticed yet, I started a thread in the Clubs section about it. Y'all should head over there and say you'd join, so we can prove that we deserve to exist or pass the trials of getting an admin to make us a club or whatever it is we need to do.

The people on the WotC boards often have a problem with power gamers, and have actually found out incredibly broken things you can do. On occasion you see people suggest crazy strategies to new gamers to help them get revenge on a jerky DM.

There are two forums for character development. One for background and roleplaying a character, and one for creating and building characters. On the latter you get more munchkins.

I'll head to the clubs section.

It just seems to me that on the various internet gaming communities I've been involved in, everyone hates powergamers. Except for a small but vocal group of powergamers on the Iron Kingdoms message boards who still admit that actually powergaming at the table is obnoxious -- they just like playing around with crazy character builds (not to mention that they are some of the only people on earth who understand IK technology) and telling people that they're wrong.