Accelerated Evolution
mst3kjunkie

What are you Reading?

The Spook Who Sat By the Door - Sam Greenlee

The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin (Interesting note here, this was given to me randomly by some Christian Fundementalists of some sort and includes a rather long forward basically explaining that apparently "The Origin of Species" is based on pseudoscience and only be repenting to jesus, blah blah blah... but hey, its a free copy of "The Origin of Species" and I can practice some classical logic technique on their poorly crafted arguments.

I read Ragtime last month, and I was disappointed. Almost everyone else enjoyed it. It wasn't a terrible book, but I felt that it didn't really impress me much at all. I understood what Doctorow was trying to do, but I felt he didn't do a good enough job. Alas, I am a bitch.

I wish I could find my reading list for this semester, but here's what I can recall.

(Asterisks denote what I've already read thus far. )

Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett *

Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald *

The Razor's Edge - W. Somerset Maugham *

The French Lieutenant’s Woman - John Fowles

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf *

The Comfort of Strangers - Ian McEwan

Savushun - Simin Daneshvar

Beer in the Snooker Club - Waguih Ghali

The Spook Who Sat by the Door - Sam Greenlee *

Secret Life of Saeed, the Pessoptimist - Emile Habiby

Dusk - F. Sionil José

I'm forgetting at least four other novels.

In the last two weeks.

I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon - Philip K. Dick

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

IV - Chuck Klosterman

The New Kings of Non-Fiction - Edited by Ida Glass

The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

I'm reading Jane Eyre.  It's for a paper.  I don't mind it.  I'm not a huge fan of that type of novel, but we're getting along so far.  The ending is so romantic.

I've been reading Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" sporadically for the past month...

Its kind of a lot to take in, so I enjoy spreading it out like this.

I promise I won't go all

James Jay Lee after I finish it.

I'm trying to work my way through Song of Ice and Fire but it is incredibly difficult to follow. I made it halfway through the third book and had to take a break. In the meantime I'm also reading American Gods, at last.

Started reading "Cload Atlas" by David Mitchell since the movie adaptation is due out in late October. So far its a bit hard to get into since it a) uses various technical jargon based around the protagonist profession during their time periods and b) jumps around to at least 5 different protagonist from 5 different time periods. Dunno how they are going to manage to fit all this into a nearly 3 hour movie without making it confusing to the audiance

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

on chapter 3 and i'm enjoying it so far. had it pegged as something else months ago, that it was some video game-y themed Hunger Games or something. it's more like this weird combination of Neuromancer and Willy Wonka.