Accelerated Evolution

My motivation died.

FaultyClockwork

I have so little motivation I can't stimulate myself outside of D&D/video game magazines, computer games, and idle thought. I'm in two AP classes yet AP Euro has killed my interest in history and I'm absolutely annoyed with it. I feel like I could be achieving more but find myself unable to and I keep beating myself up about it.

Gah.

Anyone else ever have a similar problem and what helped you claw out of the rut?

I have so little motivation I can't stimulate myself outside of D&D/video game magazines, computer games, and idle thought. I'm in two AP classes yet AP Euro has killed my interest in history and I'm absolutely annoyed with it. I feel like I could be achieving more but find myself unable to and I keep beating myself up about it.

Gah.

Anyone else ever have a similar problem and what helped you claw out of the rut?

I pretty much felt that way after starting college. I didn't have much motivation to go to class or do good in them because I seriously lacked any interest in just about all of them. So I pretty much played WoW all year my freshman year at college. Last semester was pretty much the same deal, I absolutely hated going to class and felt like what I was learning was worthless garbage that I would never use again in my life. Then I decided to change my major. I switched from Computer Science to Business (Accounting to be specific, and I'm planning on getting a masters in Information Systems), and I now feel like I'm actually going somewhere. I almost always go to class now, get my homework done, and now I'm getting great grades; and I feel like I'm learning stuff that has practical value. I really enjoyed some aspects of my Computer Science classes, but all the other crap I had to take made it a nightmare (a ton of calculus, physics, and other bullcrap), and I'll get to program again once I get in the Information Systems program.

So all in all, I'd say you'll pretty much have to deal with it until you finish high school. You don't have much control over what you want to do in high school, but once you're done with that you'll at least have some say in what you do which may help motivate you to actually do it.

I pretty much felt that way after starting college. I didn't have much motivation to go to class or do good in them because I seriously lacked any interest in just about all of them. So I pretty much played WoW all year my freshman year at college. Last semester was pretty much the same deal, I absolutely hated going to class and felt like what I was learning was worthless garbage that I would never use again in my life. Then I decided to change my major. I switched from Computer Science to Business (Accounting to be specific, and I'm planning on getting a masters in Information Systems), and I now feel like I'm actually going somewhere. I almost always go to class now, get my homework done, and now I'm getting great grades; and I feel like I'm learning stuff that has practical value. I really enjoyed some aspects of my Computer Science classes, but all the other crap I had to take made it a nightmare (a ton of calculus, physics, and other bullcrap), and I'll get to program again once I get in the Information Systems program.

So all in all, I'd say you'll pretty much have to deal with it until you finish high school. You don't have much control over what you want to do in high school, but once you're done with that you'll at least have some say in what you do which may help motivate you to actually do it.

I really hate my classes, to the point where it is near pure agony.

Maybe it'll blow over? Teenagers sometimes just drop into stupors right? (I'm looking forward to college.)

Heeeey! Welcome to the club! So far after starting college I've lacked a lot of motivation also, so I just play my PS2 or Dreamcast or read manga all day. I rarely do any of the homework or study (yet as far as I know out of my 4 classes the lowest grade is currently an 85%).

College is both more fun than high school, and yet more boring at the same time. (More free time, less stuff to do with it). Thus, I've probably watched the same amount of anime in 6 months as I did from 2001-2005, when I was busy with school plays and other things. o_o

Oh yeah, I plan on changing my major from Computer Networking to Computer Science, so maybe it'll be the same deal as Arcane.

College is both more fun than high school, and yet more boring at the same time. (More free time, less stuff to do with it). Thus, I've probably watched the same amount of anime in 6 months as I did from 2001-2005, when I was busy with school plays and other things. o_o

That's certainly true... I've been sitting around doing absolutely nothing for the past 4 hours.

I know what you mean. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to go to school to see my friends some days (which is pretty much what gets me going to school, and then I go to class by accident). Combine this with the fact that I took more classes than I should have earlier, and now I only have to take ONE class this semester, yet I'm taking four... As you can imagine, I'm not very interested in most of them. Hell, one class I'm pretty much only in because my girlfriend is in it...

It's bad. I don't know what to do, and it's definitely not a positive thing, because I'm not doing the (albeitly small amount) of work I need to do to graduate.

While I can't really help you motivate yourself, outside of putting yourself in new situations, I can recommend something from getting you further unmotivated. Whatever you do, do NOT think about the future. At least in my case, every time I think about time beyond the present, all of my motivation is killed right before my eyes, execution style.

Wow... I don't even think that's possible. All first graders are immature for first graders.

Well actually, that's not true. There is a distinct difference in the average emotional development of a 4 year old as compared to a 6 year old. The former is a far less social being, and a far more ego-centric being. Some of us develop slower, socially, than others.

While I can't really help you motivate yourself, outside of putting yourself in new situations, I can recommend something from getting you further unmotivated. Whatever you do, do NOT think about the future. At least in my case, every time I think about time beyond the present, all of my motivation is killed right before my eyes, execution style.

JESUS GOD I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN

I just did it, now I don't really feel like going to school today...

Same problems here. Haven't yet found a solution. :(

If it's been going on for a while though you should see a doctor about it, because it's a real problem. It's not just you "being lazy," there's no such thing.

I'm manic depressive. D:

I need to plan ahead or my day will screw up! D:

But yeah, it sorta sucks.... thinking ahead...

... yeah...

I am suddenly worried about this happening to myself next year. Because of my course load the past 3 years, next year all I will need to take will be American Government and Economics, 1 (maybe 2) language arts class, maybe 1 history class, and maybe 1 or 2 ocupational education classes. That would be my entire senior year, not just 1 semester. I thought it was going to be great, having such few classes, but after reading this thread, I've realized that i'm likely to experience the same thing.

I just try to get a lot of sleep and eat healthy and think positively, usually when I get all demotivated (often XD) it's because i can't physically handle doing the schoolwork. It's probably different with bipolar though

although i cannot under any circumstances imagine being interested in AP Dead White Guys