Accelerated Evolution

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book a year ago, and also had a similar reaction. It was by far the most depressing book I have ever read (not that that's saying much, though). I'm pretty sure I cried when I finished it, and I definately remember just sitting in my bed feeling complete despair (one of the few times in my life I have ever felt that emotion) for about 20 minutes afterward. Simply put, this book affected me in a way that almost nothing else ever has. The execution and pacing of the plot was absolutely perfect, leading up to an amazingly horrific ending.

EDIT: I missed this thread when it was first posted, but I felt this rant was necessary.

Loved both books, Brave New World only slightly more.

I've got less than 100 pages to go in BNW... right now I'm leaning slightly towards 1984, but we'll see if my opinion is changed in a couple hours.

Edit: Upon completion, I'm not really sure which I liked more... though I did find Brave New World's vision of the future to be more frightening than that of 1984's.

1984 is my absolute favourite book. But I'm really going to have to read Brave New World as well because it is of the same theme and such. I know they made a movie of '1984' a while ago, but was there ever a 'Brave New World' movie?

There have been a couple TV miniseries made of it.

There was also a Sci Fi Original Movie made of it.

Ha! Ha!

You know, all this talk of dystopic books is making me want to get up on my stool and start preaching the gospel of Ursula K. Le Guin.

Go out and read the Lathe of Heaven! It's not nearly as depressing as 1984, Brave New World, and certainly not Childhood's End, but it's still a damn good book. In fact, I find it a lot more believable than any of those books, because the society pictured I could actually visualize in < 20 years.

Ha! Ha!

You know, all this talk of dystopic books is making me want to get up on my stool and start preaching the gospel of Ursula K. Le Guin.

Go out and read the Lathe of Heaven! It's not nearly as depressing as 1984, Brave New World, and certainly not Childhood's End, but it's still a damn good book. In fact, I find it a lot more believable than any of those books, because the society pictured I could actually visualize in < 20 years.

This is because Le Guin's trained as an anthropologist.

GLORY BE TO THE SOCIAL SCIENCES.