Accelerated Evolution

Christianity: Official State Religion

If you weren't afraid before, now would be a good time to start.

South Dakota (yes, THAT S.D.) and Kansas (yes, THAT Kansas) also have similar bills on the table. Apparently, the hip new interpretation is that the Constitutional seperation of church and state only applies to FEDERAL government.

Yeah, that's why it says 'Seperation of Church and State'. Leave it to these backward fucktards to misinterpret something so simple.

The voluntary prayer in school doesn't bother me. I had to deal with that all through high school with the happy little Christian group we had. They usually didn't bother anyone.

The Christian displays on public property doesn't bother me either, but I can understand that it would offend other people. Like the uptight assholes who bitch and moan about statues of the 10 Commandments being located at courthouses and such... but apparently they're too dense to realize that the 10 Commandments were also very important as they were one of the earlier systems of law.

I really don't think anyone should be praying in schools, voluntary or otherwise. Why? Because it causes problems. We had this fucking flag pole at my school that the little christian kids prayed at in the mornings. When the krishnas prayed around it one day, the school immediately made a no prayer policy, as if to say, "If dirty pagans are going to pray at it too, then no one can."

I really don't think anyone should be praying in schools, voluntary or otherwise. Why? Because it causes problems. We had this fucking flag pole at my school that the little christian kids prayed at in the mornings. When the krishnas prayed around it one day, the school immediately made a no prayer policy, as if to say, "If dirty pagans are going to pray at it too, then no one can."

I know a kid who was told he couldn't wear a Venom shirt to school anymore because of the image of Satan.

Religious freedom means both sides. It's almost like nobody except the non-religious understands this.

The problem is, as long as there continues to be standardized testing, there will be prayer in schools.

That's the school's moronic fault. Everybody should be able to pray, not nobody. =/

What place does prayer even have in school?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with an after-school prayer club, as long as the school doesn't discriminate against various religions. Most schools that I know of require having a teacher or other faculty member sponsor the club, so the chances of seeing a Satanist club pop up would be pretty slim. My old high school now has an anime club. If crazy extracurricular clubs are allowed in school like anime club, I think religious clubs should also be allowed, as long as they don't cause trouble.

Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with religious after-school clubs, but when they want to have"voluntary prayer" during actual school time I just wonder why. It's not a slight against Christianity or anything, it's just sort of well, what's the reason for it.

Weren't the founding fathers Deists or at least used Deist beliefs?

Ben Franklin. And Jefferson was like a Christian Deist. His religious beliefs are really strange.

Most of them were influenced by Deism but had a deep relation to Christianity also. The Enlightenment was a real mess in reality.

WOW. umm, this is supposed to get overtuned right?

Anyway, Catholicism isn't the worst, we Catholics don't have Pat Robertson.

Yeah, out of all the Christian religions Catholicism is one of the best. It's a weird faith though. You have two sides. The ultra-conservative Catholics who try and sound religious in public and then the regular Catholics who understand that there are other people out there. It's a lot better than, say, Southern Baptists or Lutherans.

Lutherans? I heard the Luthies were basically "Catholic Lite."

But, yeah, Southern Baptists are frightening.

Catholic Lite? They don't believe you need to do good deeds to get into heaven. Catholics more or less believe the exact opposite. Episcopalians are "Catholic Lite", but in reality more like Catholicism - Pope.