Accelerated Evolution

HOW DO I GET A JOB.

amy

Okay I want to get a minimum wage summer job. I AM DETERMINED! *YOOI* And, I have multiple questions on how to get one. Just as a FYI I am 16.

- Will they think I am strange if I want to work 40 hours per week? xD I really don't know how much people work. In the summer do people generally just part-time?

- For us school ends June 28. When should I start applying? I am thinking June 15? Or will they all be taken then? I could apply earlier and start working after finals.

- What kinds of forms and stuff do i have to bring? Do I have to clear it with my school or anything or need a parent signature? :\

Thanks~

You need your social security #, and a copy of your birth certificate.

I'd apply like 2 weeks before when you actually want to work, and you can just tell them your going to start working after school ends.

Legally if your under 18 you cannot work full time, so just ask them to put you on as many hours as they can.

1. No, they'll probably like that you want to work a full schedule. It means that they can call on you if something goes wrong and they need you. That's very desirable.

2. I'd say right at the beginning ofthe month, but be sure to not on your resume you're looking for summer employment from June 28th on.

3. Resume, Reference list (Never put references on a resume. It ensures that the employer will have to speak with you at some point if they're considering you!), and a pen should be good. You may want take a sin card, and birth certificate in case someone wants to interview you right away, though that's rare.

Legally if your under 18 you cannot work full time, so just ask them to put you on as many hours as they can.

Really? That's a stupid, stupid law. I'm glad it's not like that up here. For November, December, and January, I was working 80+ hours a week. :/

I'm pretty sure you can work 40 hours a week when you don't have school.

This reminds me... I need to actually get a job this summer. I need a car...

Thanks everyone :D

You can work as many hours as you want as long as there's no school if you're 16+ over here. If I had to work 80 I'd die though xP

It's not all that bad. After the first four days, your brain turns off and you just go with the flow.

It's a lot easier to get a job once you are 18, as I soon will find out. Some businesses will not have you work 40 hours a week even if you want to since the government has really screwed the whole system up (more or less a good idea with horrible execution). Others, of course, don't care. I'd suggest walking to every business you can find and get an app around the middle of June. The problem being that college kids are back and for the most part they take EVERY minimum wage job.

But you can find a job, it just might not be a fun one.

It's a lot easier to get a job once you are 18, as I soon will find out. Some businesses will not have you work 40 hours a week even if you want to since the government has really screwed the whole system up (more or less a good idea with horrible execution). I'd suggest walking to every business you can find and get an app around the middle of June. The problem being that college kids are back and for the most part they take EVERY minimum wage job.

But you can find a job, it just might not be a fun one.

Arg yeah my town is like THE TOWN OF SCHOOL so lots of families with high-aspirationed kids move here. Then again many are rich so >>. They might be off in Europe

I am really hoping for Jo-Ann Fabrics but supermarket is okay too. xD

Also how do they pay you? Do I need a bank card or anything?

Should I ask teachers for references? .__. That's weird

Arg yeah my town is like THE TOWN OF SCHOOL so lots of families with high-aspirationed kids move here. Then again many are rich so >>. They might be off in Europe

I am really hoping for Jo-Ann Fabrics but supermarket is okay too. xD

Also how do they pay you? Do I need a bank card or anything?

Should I ask teachers for references? .__. That's weird

Just put people you know down that have seen you work. That should work.

My cousins told me Boston is a ridiculously hard city to find a job in. Which worked to their benefit since both now have actual jobs they'll likely be doing the rest of their life.

As for paying. They give you a check. You go to your bank and deposit what you want and take out what you want. It's easy. Try and get into a Federal Employees Credit Union. The taxpayers pay all the fees, well most, for you/

Just to clear up the under 18 full-time issue, you must follow the rules strictly or your employer will face penalties for not enforcing them.

You can work 39 hours, but you cannot be made a full time employee, and you absolutely must take a break every day you work more than 4-5 hours; generally, this break must happen 3 hours after you have clocked in, not a minute after.

You also cannot put any type of overtime in, so working more than 40 hours even in the summertime isn't going to happen.

Thanks everyone :D

You can work as many hours as you want as long as there's no school if you're 16+ over here. If I had to work 80 I'd die though xP

Try doing what I do on occasion. Working with structural engineers is quite neat, but when there's a deadline for a project, I'm fucked. Take last Friday. I usually go in at 6:00 am to avoid traffic. No one is in the office at that time. Most of them come in at 9:00 AM. So yeah. On to the story. I started at 6:00 AM. Then the engineers came in around 10:00 AM & had some stuff to finish up so I had to help them out. I went to lunch at 11:45 AM. Got back at 12:30 PM. Then I had to finish up a lot of drawings. I usually leave at 2:00 PM if I don't take a lunch or at 3:00 PM if I take a lunch. Well, needless to say, I stayed there until 11:00 PM. ('o' )!!! Yup. That was about 16 hours of work. Since I'm on salary, I don't really get to see overtime, but at least I get next Thursday off. (^o^ ) <3

After you turn in you application, call them or visit the manager every day, preferably in the morning. Bug the hell out of them. If you get an interview, agree to do anything. Any hours. Any job.

This is how I finally got a job.

Also, Wells Fargo is a good bank. Checking is free, and your pulse card can be used as a Visa so you can spend all your money on the internet. =D