Accelerated Evolution

Prostitution

I'm all for prostitution being legal, but I hate prostitution. It's just that many more women sell their bodies for a few bucks rather than getting up and fighting the proverbial man. The choice is also somewhat illusory. There is some choice, but come on... it's not that much of a choice.

I intend to agitate for legalizing prostitution, and my argument goes as such:

When desire is strong enough, markets tend to form no matter what government thinks. One only has to look to cocaine today or alcohol in 1925. But, when a market goes underground, quality and safety go out the window. The criminal element comes into play, and you end up stiffed for a product that could kill you, could be cut with something, or might be what you paid for.

The difference with prostitution is that prostitutes are people, not substances. And the lives they lead are gorram tragedies.

My proposition is to legalize prostitution, put a sin tax on it, and institute some fairly straightforward regulations. For instance, prostitutes would need a license to practice, and said license is only renewed if the prostitute recieves periodic checkups for STDs and other health risks. Public health would also be maintained by laws requiring the use of protection in professional capacity. Pimping would be all sorts of illegal. The prostitutes themselves would be encouraged to unionize and employ collective bargaining to improve their lot.

With the advent of a "white market" of prostitution to meet the current demand, the black market and its risks (such as abuse from pimps, drugged crack-whores, etc.) would slowly dry up. And those women who, through circumstance, must turn to prostitution, can at least now begin to improve their lives.

That's my arguement, anyway. But god knows it's political deadwood.

Do we have to bring sexism into this?

It seems to me like any other honest business.

Well the whole sexism thing is so tired here but you have to realize tons of women are basically forced into it because they can't get other jobs, or other jobs won't give them the time/money they need. And there's the whole issue with forced prostitution ect.

Well the whole sexism thing is so tired here but you have to realize tons of women are basically forced into it because they can't get other jobs, or other jobs won't give them the time/money they need. And there's the whole issue with forced prostitution ect.

Then the legalization of Prostitution would be good as it would put more money into the economy and as a result create more jobs.

Anything that turns humans into little more then sex toys for others to buy, isn't a good thing in any form no matter how you look at it..

Well, ideally it would not exist, but it's always going to happen so why not enforce government regulations on it? In Nevada that's how it is, and the men have to wear condoms, the women have to use the pill, there are regular HIV tests, and the women don't get harmed.

Anything that turns humans into little more then sex toys for others to buy, isn't a good thing in any form no matter how you look at it..

I don't know... bj or big business transaction that only adds to the military industrial complex we have...

If you ask me, no matter how useless the contribution to society is, prostitution ain’t wrong at all…

T___T and more guys would have a good experience from it rather than ending up with some fat old lady with crabs on their first time so there'd be more demand

(i was actually just talking with julia about this on thursday and she agrees with you all)

By making it legal you probably would create businesses that would hire people as prostitutes, take care of the STD checks, give them a place to do business, take care of getting the license, in exchange for a share of the money…

That's how it is now. In Germany especially where prostitution is legal there are tons of really strict regulations for safety and to stop illegal/forced workers.

Or some believe it's a way to make easy in desperate times and when drawn into it are forced to stay.

To me, it's better then rotting in the streets.

Or some believe it's a way to make easy in desperate times and when drawn into it are forced to stay.

To me, it's better then rotting in the streets.

Well, of course, but what I was saying is that it's upsetting we live in a society where women have to sleep with men to survive, and that they'd rather do that than actually fight for better jobs and everything.

I don't think you're really getting what I am saying...

I don't think what you're saying can really be applied to the discussion at hand. Prostitutes do not repersent woman in society, they repersent the desperate group of woman who have lost all hope because of adtiction or other reasons. No better then those men you see lieing in the cold begging for money. Do those men say that american men are lazy and would rahter beg for money then work?

There is ALWAYS a crappy job or two out there. Always. You can always get two jobs like at McDonalds or Duchess. Prostitues make good money so it's obvious why some women do it. But I think it's a degrading job. I mean watch Jerry Springer for a day.