Accelerated Evolution

Heaven and Hell are kind of the same.

Eventually Heaven would become incredibly mundane and it would become torture.

Eventually Hell wouldn't be so bad because one would get used to it.

Paradise can't really exist, because paradise implies lack of any sort of non-happiness, which naturally would include conflict, and conflict is necessary to prevent people from killing themselves from boredom.

Heaven and Hell are kind of the same.

Eventually Heaven would become incredibly mundane and it would become torture.

Eventually Hell wouldn't be so bad because one would get used to it.

Paradise can't really exist, because paradise implies lack of any sort of non-happiness, which naturally would include conflict, and conflict is necessary to prevent people from killing themselves from boredom.

I've heard that type of point many times, but I still don't understand it. Obviously you need some kind of conflict to keep it from being horrible, so naturally any true "paradise" would have said conflicts which, while they might (and I say might because I see no reason why they would have to) make things worse in the short term, they would make things WAAAAY better in the long term.

You can't gamble, do drugs or have premarital sex in heaven. BUT YOU CAN IN HELL!

really? that's one way to look at it, but what if hell has no beer. remember, the irish are religious, would they really all follow Christianity if there wasn't beer in heaven? As for sex, what do you think Muslims do with the 72 virgins?

Ideas I've heard about heaven include freedom from choice, which is an interesting idea.

conflict doesn't always produce unhapiness. think of it like a never-ending game, which is so close that every score simply increases the intensity on both sides.

I've heard that type of point many times, but I still don't understand it. Obviously you need some kind of conflict to keep it from being horrible, so naturally any true "paradise" would have said conflicts which, while they might (and I say might because I see no reason why they would have to) make things worse in the short term, they would make things WAAAAY better in the long term.

The idea is that since God is perfect and all-powerful he can create a paradise where you would always be happy and content and all those positive things -- and here's the kicker -- no matter what you think about it. You see, the idea of Paradise -- when put through a binary "good/evil" mentality -- is really very simple. Paradise is always good, no matter what. Damnation is always bad. The argument that "hell would be better because I like doing sinful things" is essentially fallacious because liking sinful acts sends you to hell whether you like the sinful acts or not. By the same argument, we are lead to believe that heaven would get boring because all you're doing is being happy all the time. But when you go to heaven it is God's ultimate reward, and God is all powerful, so his ultimate reward is perfect happiness.

That is, if we're talking about Christian paradise. I'm just saying... Assuming God exists, and he has a heaven lined up for us that is supposed to keep us happy forever, what sort of logic tells you that a perfect, loving, all powerful being would fuck that up? By the same coin, if you fucked up... Why do you think God would fuck up?

EDIT: I'd like to point out that I am neither Christian nor someone who supports most of the ideas in this post.

Then it isn't a paradise, because a paradise would be absent from such troubles caused by conflicts. The kind of thing you're suggesting sounds like current earth (only with conclusions being always favorable).

Then I guess it depends on your definition of paradise. If it means a place where nothing bad ever happens then yes, it would get really boring, but if it means a place where you're as happy as possible, even if that means bad things happening sometimes, then it would be more like how I described.

Heaven is your flowing, arching essence swimming through the sun. Hell is being clutched by the cyclopean claws or pseudo-limbs of forgotten demons, deep below the sea. You don't breathe, move, or speak; just stare into the blackness, forever with the horrors of it all molded into your cursed face.

EDIT: Despite being incredibly anti-religious, I often create fanasty afterlives.

EDIT EDIT: You should here my one about how 'God' is an artist.

Then it isn't a paradise, because a paradise would be absent from such troubles caused by conflicts. The kind of thing you're suggesting sounds like current earth (only with conclusions being always favorable).

minus about 5 billion people give or take 900 million

Humans would need to be seriously altered or heavily sedated for a "paradise" to work.

Not a problem

I think too many people are placing real-world limitations on Heaven and Hell. Sure if went to a "paradise" like Hawaii and spent a thousand years there, it would eventually get boring, but a paradise wouldn't be true paradise if you got bored. The defenition Mith brought to the table seems pretty good (the "always getting better" thing), but when considering it, you have to remember you aren't talking about a real world place.

As for Hell, my favorite description was provided by A Prtrait of the Artist, where it is stated that it is everlasting suffering, that if there where a pile of sand the size of the Earth, and a crow took one single grain away every year, even when the entire pile had been removed, eternity, and thus your suffering, could hardly be even said to have begun. And even if this process was repeated for every grain of sand in that pile, still, eternity had barely even begun.

At least no one's used the argument "Heaven and Hell are opposites, so if Hell is hot, Heaven must be cold. I like warm things more than cold, so I'd rather go to Hell." I felt like hitting someone after reading that.