Accelerated Evolution

Isaac Hayes Quits Southpark

Hayes has announced that he is no longer doing the voice of Chef on Southpark. He believes the show has "crossed the line" in it's portrayals of religion. Apparently, this happened because of the episode about Scientology (Hayes is a Scientologist). Who knew?....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Seinfield was right, Scientologists are very sensitive.

I think this hillarious because he's essentially saying they crossed the line by making fun of scientology when (compared to how South Park has made fun of other religions in the past) they recieved quite a tame verbal lashing. For crying out loud, they ridicule Jews on a constant basis.

Chef hasn't really made any new appearances for a long while anyway and has become a relatively unimportant character.

That kind of sucks... but it's no biggy. I'm not really surprised he left after the Scientology episode (which was a remarkable episode). The creators said they held back on making fun of Scientology for a long time because of Isaac Hayes, but decided they just couldn't hold back any longer.

NEW YORK (March 13) - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem - and he's cashed plenty of checks - with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

rofl

I am in mourning for the loss of Isaac Hayes, but come on now. Hasn't Hayes been made fun of before in a similar sense. He's black and South Park not only loves religious bashing, but also racial jokes as well. So is Hayes saying he would rather support Scientology than his own heritage. He overreacted in a big way.