Accelerated Evolution

Home Economics/Industrial Education

Heyyy do you think schools should have home economics and cooking and woodworking and stuff like they used to? (It's important to learn how to spend effectively! And there is a huge dearth of info about healthy cooking on a low budget that's actually geared to the average american who is maybe not RIDICULOUSLY CONCERNED with counting calories rather than yuppie housewives seeking imitations of french food etc.)

ORRR, do you think that academic education is much more important and that's what schools are for anyway and if resources are going somewhere, it should be to core academics which are in America if not dead, breathing funny, or gym?

Please no strawmen! All classes would be coed :3

I think they should offer all of that stuff as an elective, but no way make them required. Same for gym, btw.

I never got why exactly you're required in some places to take four years of gym but two years of math, that's ridiculous.

But yea, only english, science, foreign language, and math classes should be required.

Foreign language before history or social studies?

Oh, I forgot about that. Obviously history, but foreign languages are definitley nessecary.

ugh. If we don't have public schools then poor people won't be able to go to school, and also people would not learn what they need to and society would crumble.

ugh. If we don't have public schools then poor people won't be able to go to school, and also people would not learn what they need to and society would crumble.

Some help would be given to those who could not afford to go to school. Especially if that child is gifted, he would be given a chance to push himself to the extent that he wanted too.

But the schools would be privately owned and operated.

Yeah, then you don't have to worry about someone getting suspended because they say something contrary to the mainstream. Private schools rock the 1st amendment hardcore... except in what students can do. But the teachers have so much freedom.

Anyway. All those Home Ec classes and stuff should be taught as electives. ESPECIALLY one about credit cards. In fact, maybe they should make that one required...

Apply for aid, make it a law that you have too until high school.

Allow children after High school to sit a test to see the level of school the government should help them pay for.

okay, so then why not just make both public and private schools? Don't go off on a rant about how horrible public schools are, but you're basically saying that "the government should pay for poor kids to attend school" which is public school, so why not just have both? I mean I don't really get the point of public school if you're going to ask for government support and enforce law.

okay, so then why not just make both public and private schools? Don't go off on a rant about how horrible public schools are, but you're basically saying that "the government should pay for poor kids to attend school" which is public school, so why not just have both? I mean I don't really get the point of public school if you're going to ask for government support and enforce law on them.

Because you still have the princible behind the competition that will drive the private schools cost down and education values up.

With public schools, as they are today, there is no standard because you have no choice. At least with government granted money you can still make a choice of where you can go, after high school depending on ability as with all students not just the poor.

next gps topic: Reaganomics really work! :)

Because you still have the princible behind the competition that will drive the private schools cost down and education values up.

With public schools, as they are today, there is no standard because you have no choice. At least with government granted money you can still make a choice of where you can go, after high school depending on ability as with all students not just the poor.

Anyway, I know this is all about how you have to sit next to people who talk about clothes during English class and love to watch "The O.C" but don't your grades suck anyway?

Anyway, I know this is all about how you have to sit next to people who talk about clothes during English class and love to watch "The O.C" but don't your grades suck anyway?

Not my English grades.

In fact in my harder class, psychology, I got a 95 average the second marking period.

Again, classes that I care about I work hard and do well in.

next gps topic: Reaganomics really work! :)

No, it doesn't.

The money would go to the students family, not the school directly. Then the family would decide where to send their child.

But wouldn't the more expensive private schools offer better educations? And as a result of that wouldn't the average children rich be entitled to a better education than the average poor person?

and wouldn't having differently priced schools for different economic classes create an even greater social division between the rich and poor?

Having the weathy the only ones who take advantage of private schools causes a greater division.

There will be a great increase in education quality across the board.

the lesser of two evils is still evil.

Class division is class division, if education is privatized that class division will become permanent.

However, if public education became extremely good then these divisions would disapear.

And you propose in doing this to find a way to make every public school in the nation better with tax money that we are just going to make up?

Does your plan factor into the elimination of home schooling or private school no matter how superior they are to the public schools just to avoid the difference of class.

Why not just tie me to a chair and force feed me "knowledge".

The idea would be to make public schools so good that people would have no reason to attend private ones.

That would cost billions in tax dollers and continue to drain money in taxes away each year.

It's better to have people choice what kind of education they can get, and personalize it as they wish instead of continuing to create mindless drones and rob tax payers of wasted money on worhtless students.

It's better to have people choice what kind of education they can get, and personalize it as they wish instead of continuing to create mindless drones and rob tax payers of wasted money on worhtless students.

No one said all the public schools would have to be run exactly the same. There could be a great variation on the kind of education these public schools would offer. I simply don't think educators motivated by profit could provide the enviroment needed for educational development.

I can't really understand what you mean by worthless students, though.

No one said all the public schools would have to be run exactly the same. There could be a great variation on the kind of education these public schools would offer. I simply don't think educators motivated by profit could provide the enviroment needed for educational development.

Again, $$$$$$. You would never get it done.

I argue that if there were a great number of privately own schools then the educators would be motivated to keep the education level up, and the costs down because the more students in the school the more profit is made. And thus the school would have to offer something to draw students in.

Of course you'd have high and low ends, but I think a greater middle ground would be achived then what we currently have in public schools especially in poor areas and innercities.

I can't really understand what you mean by worthless students, though.

Trapped in the High School setting there are those who don't benefit completely from it. Worthless is a strong word, but maybe not academicly strong would be better. Those better off in a trade school instead of high school.