Accelerated Evolution

Family and money issues

thebornotaku

So. my mother sucks with finances, this is an established fact. she pulls in a good 5.2k/mo, yet we're almost perpetually broke. in fact, it's gotten so bad recently, that i have given her money that i worked for, so that she could get gasoline/money for other important things.

the policy is that for every dollar i give her, she gives me two back. i still don't like giving her money.

out of the 150$ i have had in the past month, about 65$ is sitting on my desk, with 60$ or so having been given to her. out of the other 30$, i spent about 20$ on supplies for my science fair project, and 10$ on drinks/food over the past month (little stuff, like a mountain dew here and there).

the point i am trying to get across is that we're in such a state that my income (which i earn quite gratuitously for my age) ends up in her hands, so that she can do basic things.

now, even i learn; as in, i am going to start selling some of my old stuff. old hardware, music, whatever. i'm selling it for two reasons, one is that i don't have to get this feeling that i am bearing her burden, and also so that i have more cash on hand for when i need/want it.

it all just pisses me off so much, but no matter how much i gripe, complain, moan, bitch, whine, etc, there's one thing i keep doing; and that's giving her money. keep in mind, that i do love my mother, but i absoloutly despise her fiscal irresponsibility.

Expect to see this on my eljay once it's workin' agian.

my mom isn't the most responsible financier either. just last month she borrowed about $2000 of my student loan money for something, which needless to say was a pretty big bite.

but people fuck up sometimes. someday you might screw up and need some cash and maybe she'll be there to back you up. and don't think of it as lending money; think of it as doing something nice for someone important

i know our rent is like 1.5k/mo, but everything on top of that isn't 5.2k, it's closer to 3 or 4k that we need to spend.

and i don't look at is as doing something nice, because, it's not like she is saying "hey, could i get a few bucks for a soda", it's more like "hey, cpuld i get 50$ so we can have food for a week?". she almost relys on me to keep this family just above the water; and that's her responsibility.

i gonna go WoW play now.

okay...

there's a difference between doing something nice (ie, good) for someone and doing a favor. i've helped support my family and haven't had shit for money to have fun with for years, but if it means helping the people you care about then it shouldn't matter. and fuck, you're in a constant state of buying expensive ass computer stuff so it's not like you live in poverty

whatever. life is more expensive than can appreciate at your age, but hopefully in the next few years you'll come to appreciate the things you've done and had done for you.

*official thread exit*

uh, i havent spent THAT much on my PC, except for when we first got it.

when we first got it, that totalled 3k. afterwords, i got a free videocard, a free hard drive, 3 free optical drives, 20$ dual cathode kit, a fuckload of free 80mm fans, 10$ or so 120mm fan, 130$ power supply, and a 50$ CPU heatsink/fan combo.

Aside from one of the Optical's, everything else we literally got for free, or i paid the price i said. the Optical was like 130$, and for christmas.

that, and i never said we were in a state of poverty. it's just to maintain the things we have, it keeps us in a financial half nelson.

i know our rent is like 1.5k/mo, but everything on top of that isn't 5.2k, it's closer to 3 or 4k that we need to spend.

and i don't look at is as doing something nice, because, it's not like she is saying "hey, could i get a few bucks for a soda", it's more like "hey, cpuld i get 50$ so we can have food for a week?". she almost relys on me to keep this family just above the water; and that's her responsibility.

i gonna go WoW play now.

Exactly. Parents are to provide for their children, not the other way around.

Maybe you should sit her down and have a talk. Tell her about how you feel about her financial responsibility and come to an agreement to help her keep her finances in check.

My parents are pretty cool with their finances, they've grown accustomed to a system where dividing their income makes everyone happy.

• 4 months later...

Even worse now.

She lost her job.

She lost her job with the company she founded.

And she has to be jobless for two months to declare bankrupcy. Why she doesn't just get another job and rough it out is way beyond me, but now she is actually encouraging me to get a job so that I can help pay part of rent and bills.

Will I do it? Probably. She is always telling me how i'm a nice guy, and if working my ass off for months means that we don't end up on the street, i'll definately give it a try.

Sometimes, however, I have no fucking idea what runs through her head. I know for a fact she can make at least twice her old pay, but no, she chooses to try and declare bankrupcy -_-